CrossFit = Acne

Options
Mummyadams
Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
Hi all, now that I crossfit 4 x days a week my skin, in particular my upper back & neck is becoming really spotty.

I use non perfumed, medicated soap, eat pretty clean, drink lots of water and shower straight after a WOD but it's not helping.

Can anyone suggest something I can use - it's really getting me down.

Thanks

Replies

• jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I can only assume that it's because you're sweating more from training more.. I've never had acne issues so can't give recommendations on products, but I'd be trying a cleanser as well as soap..
  • CrazyAnimalLady
    CrazyAnimalLady Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who had a problem with this, she used Panoxyl soap and it helped get rid of it. Panoxyl is a acne bar soap but also comes in liquid form. Otherwise you could also try to wear t-shirts instead of tanks, likely whatever is causing the acne is on the floor that we're always rolling around on.
  • pookaroo78
    pookaroo78 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem from my sports bra mostly...:grumble:
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I get bad back acne any time I work out. The Doc gave me some prescription soap, it helps a little. It clears up the best when I can spend time at the beach in salt water, or once the pools open and I get a good dose of chlorine water every day.
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I started getting bacne once i started crossfit too...never had it before. it's kind of not as bad anymore, maybe my body got used to sweating
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    from you skin touching the squat bar?
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Quite possibly yes from the bar. Yeeeuw imagine all the germs on that thing!
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options
    for me, no, i doubt it, it was all over
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Quite possibly yes from the bar. Yeeeuw imagine all the germs on that thing!

There are germs all over our bodies, 24/7. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

In any case, doesn't your box have spray bottles with some cleaning solution and towels to spray down equipment with?
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options
    Most ive been to don't!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^that's gross.

If we do any kind of bar work the previous class will spray and wipe down the bars really quick before they are done. Especially if anyone had any kind of ripped skin.
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you wear for clothing, but if your upper back is exposed you might want to wear a different shirt. You could be picking up some bacteria off the floor. I would also look into a more breathable material if you are wearing a shirt that covers the upper back. I break out in areas where the cloting tends to be fitted or clinging.
  • CrazyAnimalLady
    CrazyAnimalLady Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Woah, yeah my box is really big about making sure everything gets wiped down after you've touched it. If you don't wipe down your equipment you can't come back. That being said the floor is always a pretty nasty place, no matter how often you clean it. I've heard some of the girls say they get it really bad on their back because they're wearing tanks or sports bras and it goes away when they start wearing t-shirts because all of that dirt isn't getting into your open pores. I know my face started acting up when I first started, Its because the sweating brings out all of the gunk that's been trapped under the deeper layers of skin. Now it's cleared up and I didn't use anything special, just let it run it's course.
  • allykat0320
    allykat0320 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Sorry to hear that! I had the same problem when I started- have had great skin all my life. I started to use the Cetaphil antibacterial bar on my body and Proactive solution cleanser for my face and it helps. Make sure you get the antibacterial bar and not the regular one! Hope that works for you.
  • bully_lady
    bully_lady Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have noticed the same thing, on and off. I also wear a tank, so maybe that is the issue as well - that darn floor that I find myself on at the end of the session LOL! Good topic - thanks for bringing it up!