New to Low Carb and a bit inpatient

Options
loxottica
loxottica Posts: 26 Member
HI,

I'm new to this group and to low carbing and MFP.. well I joined MFP long time ago but never used it until now.

I have a question for you if you don't mind:

I have been eating about 20 net carbs/day about 1500-1700 calories a day... and I gained a pound??
I've been eating with no cheats low carb for about a week and I went down a pound and now I'm back up?? why??

maybe I'm a bit impatient.. but when does it kick in for me to see results... any results would be great! gaining really is so unmotivating! I have 60lbs to lose and I'm going in the wrong direction.

help.
Thank you.

Replies

• Crawfie16
    Crawfie16 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear of your disappointment. What worked for me was cutting back on cheese, nuts and fruit. Give that a try. It could be you are holding on to water which normally one loses when low carbing. Perhaps too much bacon, or salt on your food. Hope that helps, Don't give up. Low carbing only way I lose some lbs, but very slowly. ????
  • EbonyAries
    EbonyAries Posts: 19
    Options
    Perhaps open your diary, so people can look to see where you might have been going wrong. Or at least to point you in the right direction. Its a bit hard to say, when we cant see what you have been eating.
  • loxottica
    Options
    Ok
    I'll go change my settings for my food log.
    let me know.
    thank you
  • josephine_x
    josephine_x Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Atkins bars, they always made my weight go up. Shame cos they're yummy!
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    you ll probably find the answer in your poor incomplete logging and the fact despite that you are already way over the 20g of carbs you claim to have stuck to.

20g will give you an insatiable thirst within 3 days, one of the key initial signs things are happening and that first week should be your biggest loss despite the 10 cups of water intake you will overshoot in an attempt to quench that thirst.
  • loxottica
    Options
    its 20 on my atkins app.
    The atkins bars are 2 carbs but when I enter them here they are like over the top...
  • oneday987
    oneday987 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Just checked your diary ... I think it maybe the Atkins bars.
  • loxottica
    Options
    :( and they are actually tasty...
  • Linda860
    Linda860 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Consider cutting back on your calories, That's sounds pretty high if you're trying to lose.
  • Crawfie16
    Crawfie16 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just checked your diary, and saw you are like me you snack on cheese. I stopped eating cheese and lost weight. I know it is difficult but please give it a try. It may just be the answer. Good luck.
  • _tierachanel
    _tierachanel Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Drink water and plenty of it. The weight gain could have been from retaining water.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Most of the carbs in that sucker are "sugar alcohols," which in theory don't affect blood sugar and insulin (which you're trying to steady, or eliminate with this diet) - but in my experience, they can affect different people in different ways.

For example, xylitol will mess me up, whereas erythritol won't. I haven't tried maltitol or sorbitol while I was paying attention.

Just another point to try to keep track of.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you ll probably find the answer in your poor incomplete logging and the fact despite that you are already way over the 20g of carbs you claim to have stuck to.

20g will give you an insatiable thirst within 3 days, one of the key initial signs things are happening and that first week should be your biggest loss despite the 10 cups of water intake you will overshoot in an attempt to quench that thirst.

I'm pretty sure you and the OP are talking two different carb measurements. Her numbers are closer to 20g when calculating net carbs, while MFP doesn't provide a built-in calculation for that.

(To be fair, it doesn't mean that some of the carbs she is eating aren't what are hindering her. That's still entirely possible.)
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Do 20-30 g total carbs not net carbs. In the first four weeks forget about the scale, focus on getting fat adapted and get in to ketosis. I was eating 3500 cals during first 2-3 weeks but kept carbs low enough and still lost weight. Try eating real food initially.
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Try eating real food initially.
    Absolutely. In fact, I think a lot of low carb dieters make the mistake of swaying too far off the path of eating real whole foods.

Personally, I'm not making "creations" using flour substitutes, etc.; in an attempt to recreate the SAD WOE, but keeping it low carb. I also no longer eat any of the Atkins products (I use to eat the bars constantly). My personal experience is that it can be a slippery slope if you try to recreate your old WOE, but as low carb. Making the break from old eating habits is difficult at first, but over time (2-4 weeks) it becomes a revelation when you switch to eating real whole foods.
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I would definitely drop the Atkins bars. They contain Maltitol which has an insulin response similar to sugar which would stop you from entering Ketosis. The odd one might be ok once you are fully keto adapted a few months down the track, but give your body a chance to get keto adapted first,
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    There's a blurb somewhere from either Phinney or Volek that they basically had to acquiesce regarding recommendations of the Atkins products when they rewrote the latest edition of the Atkins diet. Of course the Atkins company wants to push their products, so clearly Phinney and Volek could not come out against them in the book. However, I guarantee that if you asked them what they thought of the majority of the Atkins products they would not speak of them too highly.

Didn't Dr. Atkins die before the majority (if not all) of the Atkins low carb products started hitting the market?