Praevalere - End Week 2

Options
wow... I just accidentally hit the back button and erased my entire post before I could "post topic."
Height: 6'3
SW: 299.1
W1: 288.9 (-10.2)
W2: 285.4 (-3.5)
Total (-13.7)

The second week of low carbing or Atkins is generally known as the "dreaded week two." This is because the scale usually doesn't move much, if at all for most people (especially after week 1.) I managed to lose 3.5lbs of mostly fat this week. I know that I can maintain a consistent weight loss of 3-4lbs per week continuing on. However, I am still considering doing TDEE -20%. I have been 100% faithful to my low carb regimen these past two weeks, nothing has been eaten that shouldn't have been. The main issue is I am starting to see a lack of variety. If you read my "end week 1" post you will see I am using a large variety of fats/proteins, much more than what I even posted there. With some creativity there can be a decent variety, but nowhere near what is available when carbs are used. Although it is likely on TDEE-20% my weight loss will be much less (1-2lb per week). Decisions, decisions.

5/20 30 minutes hard hill training
5/21 90 minutes recumbent bike
5/22 90 minutes kayaking
5/23 nothing (knee pain)
5/24 nothing (knee pain)
5/25 nothing
5/26 2 miles walking (slow)

Started having knee pain on thu with a bit of swelling so took it easy. It isn't completely gone yet so will likely be taking it easy for a few more days. Not sure exactly what did it, maybe the recumbent cycling but that would be odd.

Replies

• jolene_CO
    jolene_CO Posts: 48
    Options
    Just from my experience: I can run 30 - 50 miles per week and have no knee pain. I can bike about 15 miles per week, any more than that and my knees hurt. I don't know why. I don't question why; I just don't bike more than 15 miles per week.

Is there any research on high protein diets causing joint pain?

You've done really, really well with your carbs and calories, so well done. Have you considered adding selective carbs, instead of the whole range of carby goodness? It may be that adding in just three or five options would give you the variety you need.

A few years ago, due to allergies, I was put on an elimination diet. I was permitted NINE foods. NINE. For 10 weeks. It was horrid. When they finally started adding in other foods, one or two a week, it was like I'd won the lottery. I would practically prance into the house with the new food options. You just don't realize how exciting a new selection of tilapia is until you've had nothing but cod for two months.

So perhaps just add a thing or two, instead of significantly switching a plan that is, honestly, working really well for you.
  • praevalere
    praevalere Posts: 24
    Options
    Just from my experience: I can run 30 - 50 miles per week and have no knee pain. I can bike about 15 miles per week, any more than that and my knees hurt. I don't know why. I don't question why; I just don't bike more than 15 miles per week.

Thanks for letting me know, I probably have a similar situation. Nothing about it really makes sense to me, but I do sprints often and never have knee pain afterwards, and the one time I use a bike my knees cry.
    So perhaps just add a thing or two, instead of significantly switching a plan that is, honestly, working really well for you.

After a bit more thought today, I decided to add in nuts and keep it at that for now. I set the limit to 20 grams of carbs from nuts and I am keeping everything else the same. When this week is over I will reevaluate how things went and adjust from there.

That elimination diet sounds horrible! Unless of course it was nine foods like pizza, bacon cheeseburgers, steak, french fries, ice cream and so on. Then I could happily live with it for awhile. :)
  • jolene_CO
    jolene_CO Posts: 48
    Options
    That elimination diet sounds horrible! Unless of course it was nine foods like pizza, bacon cheeseburgers, steak, french fries, ice cream and so on. Then I could happily live with it for awhile. :)

Elimination diet: sweet potatoes, parsnips, cod, leeks, kale, celery, apples, cabbage.

I could eat them raw, boiled, or roasted. No seasoning.

Have you ever had an unbuttered parsnip? Tragic. Absolutely tragic.