Random post pregnancy stuff!

Options
DawnieB1977
DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
How is everyone getting on?

My baby girl is 4 weeks old today and my husband has just gone back to work. Eeek. I also have a son who is 5 in June, and another daughter who was 3 on May 12th. I'm kind of nervous about coping with 3! My husband does shift work, so is on earlies this week, which means he leaves at 5am and gets home about 2:30pm. Luckily it's half term so my son isn't at school this week.
What does everyone do to entertain their kids? Usually we go out loads. We live by the sea, so spend a lot of time on the seafront and beach. They love their scooters. With a baby too, and on my own, I think it'll be harder! They don't always stop when I ask.

I've been feeling pretty sad as I've struggled with breastfeeding, and finding it hard to come to terms with it, and feeling like a failure. I read all these threads about bf, and I feel like I'm the only one who can't. I've struggled with all 3 of mine now - they all lost weight and I've had to mix feed. I have low supply :(. I feel like the worst mum in the world. And yes, I have tried everything, and been told by a lactation consultant my supply is low.

I've started logging my calories again and am hoping to get back to the gym in a couple of weeks. I've been walking for exercise. It's all pretty hard going! I was good while pregnant but have still gained weight and feel huge. I can just about do up my 'fat' jeans, with a huge muffin top!

Replies

• tinybry
    tinybry Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hey there, my boy is 5 1/2 months, but I still remember the fear of my husband going back to work and leaving me with two children - so I imagine 3 is even more daunting! You will be fine though, it's amazing how quickly you get into new habits and find things that work.

In the first few weeks my daughter definitely watched a bit more TV (thank goodness for BBC Iplayer!) than she would normally be allowed... that has settled back down again now. I also set more things up that she could help herself too (craft stuff - I guess that depends on your children and whether they are likely to enjoy that or just create chaos!). she is not a girl who likes to play by herself much but is getting better...

Getting out was easier when the baby was tiny in a way, as he used to just sleep (whether in the pram or the sling). now we have to fit around his nap times a bit more, but we still get out as much as we can, and actually it has made my daughter more independent (that may not be an issue you have!).

Could you try some form of reward system for them being helpful and sensible? i.e. stopping when you ask, fetching things for you, playing by themselves? Just to start some good habits?!

And don't beat yourself up about breastfeeding. You are doing what you can - hang in there and find the balance that works for you. It's tough and when you have another / other children to look after you just don't have the time and energy to do it all. I know I am lucky that my son is a lot better feeder than my daughter was, but it has taken me over 5 months to be able to express regularly so he can be fed by someone other than me... and so I imagine trying anything to increase supply whilst running around is tough!

Take care of yourself :)
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    My kids have watched loads of movies lately! Thank god for Netflix. They like play doh and colouring and stuff, but they do naughty things like draw on the walls. They're more active really, they'd rather be shooting each other with nerf guns or jumping off the furniture. That's why we usually go out a lot.

My daughter is a bit too independent sometimes, and she's the bossiest 3 year old I've met! My son is back at school next week, so that should be easier. When it's just my 3 year old, she tends to behave better.

I'm going to get a reward chart I think!
  • tinybry
    tinybry Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    sounds like a plan! I think because my daughter is used to undivided attention and doesn't have an older sibling she is less inclined to do things like drawing on walls! But who knows what will happen in a couple of years when the two of them play together ;)
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I would start creating responsibility charts too. They are old enough to have sets chores they have to do. Teaching them responsibility and having to pull their own weight around the house is not only very good for them, but it will help lighten your load a little. Even just having Jack clear the table and stack the dishes after each meal would make one less thing you have to do. It also takes up a little time in the day.
    I would also make sure you are finding time, perhaps while baby is sleeping, to sit down and just play with and focus on the older kids. Obviously together when you husband is home, spend time with each one individually when he is home to help.
    I found some really good learning games online that are really super fun and help with education. I don't know if Maya is able to handle a computer, but I am sure Jack is. The games are nice because I would rather my daughter be doing that than playing the Wii or watching TV.
    This is all I can think of :( Besides the occasions when I have all of my sisters kids, I only have experience with having the one child so I can't say that I have really been there.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    Lol yes Jack can handle a computer. He's playing Minecraft at the moment. He was playing Angry Birds on the iPhone when he was 1. Maya's not that interested in games luckily, but she's happy to watch a film, or do colouring in. They do like watching Alphablocks (alphabet and phonics practice) and Maya loves books. Jack used to love books, but isn't as interested now. Maybe because he's at school and they do a lot of reading there. Kids start school at 4 in England. With a June birthday he's nearly the youngest in his class.

They are quite good at putting their plates and cutlery in the dishwasher, dirty clothes in the laundry basket etc.

I'll definitely get a reward chart though. I used to have one, but think they were a bit too young then.

We ted to go out a lot. Zoë sleeps In the pram and I can focus on Jack and Maya. We went out on the seafront today, and I bought them one of those little plastic windmill things, then we had a drink.

Jack will be at school next week, so I'll be able to take Maya out on her scooter, to the park etc.
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Ah, I am just joining the 3 club. I had a good cry yesterday thinking what the hell am I going to do once my husband (and mom - who's taking next shift) go back to work. That's nice that your kids are helpers! My son is turning 3 in a couple weeks, and my daughter will be 17 months in a week. And I just had my baby two weeks ago tomorrow. I cried yesterday trying to figure out what the hell I'm going to do with three! We just put all the car seats in the minivan. We have to rear facing in the front captain's chairs and my son just got moved to the back. He still can't buckle himself in. So I'm going to have to CLIMB into the back of the minivan from the back hatch to buckle him in! What the hell? Why didn't we think this through? When do they start being able to buckle themselves in and letting themselves out? I'm so screwed. My stitches aren't healed yet (bad tear) so I'm not sure when I'll attempt getting him in and out of the car, but hopefully it won't be that bad.

What to do with them? No clue. We have our backyard set up for little ones, so I'll probably be going out there a lot where it's baby proof. I should start taking them to mommy groups and parks again, but I think I'll start with baby steps.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Alright, you ladies are terrifying me! Our little girl is nearly 6 months old and we're starting to talk about going for number 2 soon. You're certainly giving me lots to consider!!

I will say that my two closest friends each have 3. One of them has 3 ages 4 and under (no twins, just back to back to back!). She said it was tough in the very beginning but once she got a handle on it things got great. And she started waking up at 4:30 AM to go running to keep her sanity. This summer she's coming home--without the kids!--(to Chicago from Florida) to run her 1st marathon! So yes, you'll be fine once you adjust. She always says she counts on her friends & neighbors more than she ever thought possible (her family is in Chicago) and her kids have learned independence and creativity that she doubts they would have if she had more time for each of them. Just food for thought... (She also readily admits frozen pizza is a regular staple for dinner, the house is generally a mess despite having paid help in that department and she's been known to run out to buy new underwear for the kids rather than doing the laundry!)
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    Lisa, lol at your friend buying new clothes instead of doing the laundry. I might consider getting a cleaner when I go back to work. I'm lucky to be able to have a year off for maternity leave - yay for being English - but I'm a secondary school teacher, and with all the planning and marking I have to do, even working 3 days a week, I don't want to waste time cleaning :smile: My husband does shift work too, so one weeks two he's on lates, working 2pm-10pm, which means me having to collect the kids from school/nursery, make dinner, do baths and bedtime etc on my own.

Spunkychelsea, I have a cry about something every day! I very nearly cried this morning! I was up at 6 feeding Zoë, finally got her to sleep I'm her Moses basket, and then went to make coffee in peace. As if! Maya got up immediately,then Jack.
    The car thing sounds annoying. I've got a Vauxhall Zafira, and luckily can fit all 3 car seats in the back. It does have fold up seats in the boot, but they're not suitable for child seats. We don't drive much though. Firstly, I want to save petrol money as it's so damn expensive, but we live in town and 2 mins walk from the seafront, and 5 mins walk from the train station. My husband works for the railway so we get free travel, and get the train a lot. The next town has a good soft play place, and a lovely park.

We live in a flat and don't have a garden, which is a shame. We're moving in a few months though to a 4 bedroom house with a garden - it's being built now. Well, renovated. It will mean living next to my MIL though lol. Although hopefully she can babysit!

I actually find having 3 is easier than when I had 2 in the beginning. Jack was 22 months old when Maya was born, and he was still in nappies, and his speech wasn't very good, and he was soooo jealous. He also used to have this awful habit of running off if we were in a café or somewhere. You couldn't entertain him by putting a movie on as he was too young. Now at least Jack and Maya can be entertained more easily, and they can have conversations, and both go off and use the toilet on their own. Plus you can bribe them!
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing I experienced was bedtime with a baby and a 4 yr old. I would go back and forth between rooms with them crying then me crying :> (my husband had classes at night). What I started doing was bathing them at the same time then doing stories together then feeding the baby while the older one laid in bed. I would pat the oldest one's back for a few minutes then sit in a rocking chair in the room and feed the baby so I was still close by for the older one. Now my oldest is 6 in 2 weeks and the baby is 15 months and they are sharing a room and do well at bedtime together. I think it just takes time to find a routine that fits and to reassure the older ones that they are still important.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    The hardest thing I experienced was bedtime with a baby and a 4 yr old. I would go back and forth between rooms with them crying then me crying :> (my husband had classes at night). What I started doing was bathing them at the same time then doing stories together then feeding the baby while the older one laid in bed. I would pat the oldest one's back for a few minutes then sit in a rocking chair in the room and feed the baby so I was still close by for the older one. Now my oldest is 6 in 2 weeks and the baby is 15 months and they are sharing a room and do well at bedtime together. I think it just takes time to find a routine that fits and to reassure the older ones that they are still important.

I used to bath my two together (well, still do) and when Maya was about 3 months I'd put them to bed at the same time. Maya was in our room. When she was 10 months they shared a room, and still do.

Now with 3 I'm not sure how I'll do it. Maya keeps saying it's still morning as it's still light outside, so can be a pain to get to bed. She doesn't like Zoë still being up. I'm hoping in a couple of months Zoë will have more of a routine so I can sit and read a bedtime story to the older two, or just all three of them. I don't feel that organised yet!
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options

Now with 3 I'm not sure how I'll do it. Maya keeps saying it's still morning as it's still light outside, so can be a pain to get to bed.

I hate time changes. I have the same problem with mine in the summer and honestly it's kind of a good arguement :>