Tear scar - feeling it with subsequent pregnancies?

Options
jls8209
jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
I had a bad tear with my first delivery, 2nd degree and starting high up in the birth canal, and I also had an episiotomy (fetal heart rate went abnormal and she had to come out asap). My doc said everything was healed at 6 weeks PP, at least visually, but it was about 6 months PP before I stopped feeling pulling/discomfort in that area while working out. I'm now 23 weeks along with #2, and I swear some times I can feel the scar tissue on the outside when I sit, and every now and then when I'm standing. Anybody else? Is it possible my hormones are doing something to make me feel my scar?

Replies

• tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I never had a tear or episiotomy but, I swear I feel pulling and pain down there.
    It feels as if I there has been a cut or tear, or as if it is going to tear due to sharp pulling.
    Maybe it is possible that it is due to your previous cut. Maybe you and I are feeling kind of the same thing and you might be having that symptom regardless of previous cut.
    Mine usually hurts when I am sitting or right when I stand up.
  • PhoenixRising7
    PhoenixRising7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It could be scar tissue causing the discomfort. I don't have a tear scar, but I do have a great deal of pain with my c-section scar from time to time. My doctor said it is likely scar tissue or possibly ligaments and as long as the pain is not constant not to worry.
  • tinybry
    tinybry Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I could definitely feel some slightly odd (not usually painful, although not far off) sensations where I tore last time and was stitched. I tore in the same place again this time but now 5 1/2 months post partum it is healed well and I don't feel anything.

I definitely noticed between pregnancies that I was more sensitive around TOM which I put down to hormones.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Yes, I tore with my 2nd and it remained tender. Thankfully it did not tear again with my third.

Vitamin E oil might be helpful - I know it's recommended for c-section scar motility, since so many women end up having scar-related issues (adhesions etc).
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I had a 3rd degree tear with my first. Said I looked good at 4 weeks. It still didn't feel good. Sex hurt for a few months, but then it got better. Had another baby 18 months later, had a 2nd degree tear again, it healed very well and quickly and didn't give me much trouble later. Tore this time 2nd degree. I'm only 2 weeks out though, so don't know about long term, but it didn't bother me pregnant or after the initial healing.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I had a 3rd degree tear with my first. Said I looked good at 4 weeks. It still didn't feel good. Sex hurt for a few months, but then it got better. Had another baby 18 months later, had a 2nd degree tear again, it healed very well and quickly and didn't give me much trouble later. Tore this time 2nd degree. I'm only 2 weeks out though, so don't know about long term, but it didn't bother me pregnant or after the initial healing.

Lube!!! Lots of lube!!! Hormones dry things up a lot down there after having a baby, making it hurt no matter what. I was too chicken to attempt getting busy until about 3 months post partum, and it was about another month before we were "successful" (it took lots of lube and a coupe of drinks, that's how nervous I was!) TMI, sorry. :P

Hoping that if I do tear again it won't be as bad. My last one started high up inside, which is why it took so long to completely heal. The doc was down there putting in stitches forever, and it was taking so long a nurse came over and asked if it was 3rd dregree. :/
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I had an episiotomy with my first and it doesn't hurt when I'm pregnant but whenever I have my period it just aches! It must be hormonal.