Coffee

Options
2»

Replies

• Cinzano1959
    Cinzano1959 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am from the UK and had my surgery in Europe, never once was I advised to give up coffee, I even checked today after reading this post. Coffee is fine, mind you I have only been having one latte in the morning. It tops up my protein levels.
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    What a relief. I love my coffee too and can't imagine losing my taste for it. Nothing starts the day off better than those first few sips of coffee. :flowerforyou:
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    That is my "creamer" now, vanilla or chocolate, depending on my mood, I love it!

If only it was available at all groceries ..sigh.
  • apelilag
    apelilag Posts: 30
    Options
    I love coffee!! So when I have it up 2 weeks pre-op I went through major withdraw, I've been drinking a cup everyday since I was a 6th grader. I am 3 months post-op and started craving it badly. Straight coffee without my old fattening creamer just annoyed my new stomach. I found Chike Coffee Protein and it is yummy! I add ice when I am in the mood for iced coffee or blend for a Frappacino. :) You can find it on Amazon or Chike website.
  • kglowins
    kglowins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted about the Chike, apelilag. I have been wanting to try that out.
  • Ujj7
    Ujj7 Posts: 51
    Options
    I just ordered some FitFrappe. My nutritionist conceded that I could have coffee if it was part of a protein shake.
  • trinoc
    trinoc Posts: 73
    Options
    Me too.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I am a coffee addict. I switched to herbal tea after surgery, but went right back as soon as real coffee was allowed. I have, mostly cut back from what I drank pre-op, but there are still days I drink more than I should (three cups).

Spreaking of creamer. I couldn't stand the sugar free creamers, either, but got used to them. When I do buy that stuff it is the French Vanilla, but I prefer a tbsp of half and half mixed in with a tsp of either Torani French Vanilla or Chocolate syrup. (sometimes I do half vanilla syrup and half chocolate) :)
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    What's the reason for giving up coffee? I normally only have one cup a day and don't see how that could be an issue...
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    What's the reason for giving up coffee? I normally only have one cup a day and don't see how that could be an issue...

My program nurse told us that their main goal is to not have patients back in the hospital and that the two main reasons were 1) dehydration, and 2) poor healing.

To combat (1), they 'outlaw' caffeine because of it's diuretic properties (I think) which make dehydration more of a possibility, especially when people have a hard enough time drinking in the post-surgery first few weeks.

For (2), they push the 100g of protein minimum (for men) per day. Protein helps the healing process. This seems to be consistent across all of the patients here.

I chose to not argue the ABSOLUTE BAN on caffeine (contrary to my nature :wink: ), and follow their rules. I switched my morning hot drink at work to caffeine free cinnamon spice tea and haven't had a real problem, but I was never that much of a caffeine freak.

Giving up all alcohol has been the most notable effort for me. For a while I had cut way back, having a glass of wine with my wife when it fit into my calories, but the psychologist told me to drop it altogether, so I complied.

Good luck to all of you, especially those who have to give it up completely!

Rob
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Much the same story as rpyle111; Just after surgery you have a very small, very swollen little pouch that needs time to heal. You also need to ingest 64oz of fluid and 100g of protein daily. Coffee simple does not factor into this. At about 3.5 months I introdced the occasional cup and now, at 8 months, I have regular coffee.

We have to remember that our early restrictions are all about healing and habit changes. As we progress we transition from healing to living. From losing weight to maintaining fitness. Each of us will have a different path, with different experiences and difficulties. For some coffee is a normal part of the day, for others it may be a trigger for eating donughts. It's important to find out what works for you and follow that plan.
  • sue100194
    sue100194 Posts: 129
    Options
    Although I'm back to drinking coffee again, my habits have changed. I used to drink a pot every day - dark, black and caffeinated. However I've given in to the inevitable and bought a Keurig single cup machine so now I have my little cup of decaf, black coffee every morning and got rid of the big pot at a garage sale. Occasionally I'll have a caffeinated cup but I really feel it now when I do.... running around like a caffeinated monkey. LOL
    The rest of my liquids for the day is water, usually flavored.
  • shoerack45
    shoerack45 Posts: 30
    Options
    I watched Dr. Matthew Weiner videos on YouTube. I find his take on what he calls "myths" very interesting on the post-op diet. Now, he's not my doctor so I don't follow him, but the range out there is amazing. He thinks coffee and carbonation is fine and encourages nuts and soft veggies pretty early. It does make me think that one little mistake won't ruin my work.

To experienced surgeon, they are not mistakes at all.
  • teresa7926
    teresa7926 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Vanilla almond milk works great in decaf coffee in place of creamers. And you dont have to worry about using artificial sweeteners
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Good idea Sue to get a Keurig machine to make single servings.
    I'm also gonna check out the YouTube videos by Dr. Matthew for Post-Op diet suggestions.
    It's AMAZING how many great ideas I pick up on this site to check out.
    Thanks everyone who is post op for your great ideas for those of us that haven't been sleeved yet. :smile:
    Giving up caffeinated coffee will be very hard but has someone suggested I will wean down mixing decaf with regular coffee for the weeks leading up to quitting caffeine for the weeks before surgery so I don't get the withdrawal headaches.