XMen days of future past

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I liked it! But I still don't know how Professor X survived what happened in Last Stand... Can anyone enlighten me?

Replies

• JamieD328
    JamieD328 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I haven't got to see days of future past yet, but in the end credits of the last stand it showed that he had (I think) transferred his conciousness into a man who was in a vegetative state. Then I guess he just projects his face into peoples minds?
  • Francl27
    Options
    Actually I looked it up, it was his twin brother who was brain dead. Serves me well for not staying until the end of the credits at the time :p
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I thought it was pretty good. The whole past thing fixed the future, so the events in Last Stand never happened. I would say more but I don't want to spoil it. Also, after the credits! !!! Next movie OMG eeeee
  • Amwhite1986
    Amwhite1986 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I liked First Class better.

There were things that kinda pissed me off.

Spoiler alert.......

So one of those things... In the now current time line does Nightcrawler not exist?? Seeing as they killed my favourite first class character and there was no indication of him and Mystique hooking up. Not to mention... Just HOW the *kitten* would humans have managed to kill him or Frost considering their abilities?! Like... Wtf? I'm so annoyed right now.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    We saw in it at Cinebistro today and enjoyed the hell out of it. Because neither of us followed the comics I had to look up who was in the after-credits scene.

Cinematically, the "time in a bottle" sequence was so great I was itching for a rewind button to watch it again right there.

Love McAvoy and Fassbender so much, so glad they came onto this project.
  • spud_chick
    Options
    I do have one question for the canon-knowledgeable:

<SPOILER>

When Wolverine comes out of the resolved timeline change and wakes up in the altered future, is his manicure au naturel or adamantium? If "Stryker" picked him up off the boat, did Stryker™ ever get ahold of him? Or do we know?

</SPOiLER>
  • Francl27
    Options
    I do have one question for the canon-knowledgeable:

<SPOILER>

When Wolverine comes out of the resolved timeline change and wakes up in the altered future, is his manicure au naturel or adamantium? If "Stryker" picked him up off the boat, did Stryker™ ever get ahold of him? Or do we know?

</SPOiLER>

Good question.

Also, in the movie, he had his adamantium claws back... but he lost them in the last Wolverine movie. So I'm confused... again.

The lack of continuity is what annoys me in the XMen movies. Like when Professor X went to see Jean the first time... he could walk... but he was paralyzed already by then.
  • spud_chick
    Options
    One of the reviews I read suggested that one of the objectives with this movie was to clean up a lot of continuity problems that came from different directors etc. working on the franchise. It doesn't retroactively explain things like Xavier's visit to Jean, but it does kind of reset things to a place that can theoretically be maintained if future projects follow a policy of acknowledging what has gone before in the movie universe.

I didn't register that Wolverine lost his claws altogether in The Wolverine, but our cinema was having power issues and the movie actually stopped twice which was distracting, so maybe I missed something. I'd thought that since adamantium was in his blood and bones, his metal claws were created on demand, like his original bony ones--and like his bone ones, they would eventually regenerate. I didn't think they were a permanent, static installation. I never read the comics, but then I know the movies don't follow the comics strictly anyway...
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The way it was explained to me is that everything is reset. Wolverine didn't happen, so he never lost his claws. Nearly total and complete reboot. I've read two things about Nightcrawler - the actor's too busy and with the addition of Beast, they didn't want three blue characters in one movie. I hope they bring him back later. Question I have: I just found out that Quicksilver was Magneto's son. Did he know that when they went to go break him out? Did any of them know that?

PS - I did like how one character says "maybe it was meant to be" which allows them to keep whatever developments from previous movies that they want.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Meh, still make no sense... he reset everything so that he didn't end up on that table going back to the past, sure... but he still scratched her with his metal claws (that got cut in wolverine 2) while he was on that table.
  • spud_chick
    Options
    Again, I didn't read it that he was fully declawed in Wolverine 2, but I know nothing. Will be looking all that up later.

I was reading about Quicksilver's parentage last night, and while the movies will no doubt handle it differently, neither Quicksilver nor Magneto knows at that point. Apparently this was a very different take on Quicksilver from the comics and some people seem to feel the changes made him more interesting/appealing. I certainly look forward to seeing him again (and hope they work his sister into the mix), but for some weird reason they're casting Quicksilver separately for Avengers so who knows what's going to happen.
  • Francl27
    Options
    He wasn't declawed, he just lost the metal part on his claws... so they were bones again.
  • Amwhite1986
    Amwhite1986 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I understand not having Nightcrawler cause of so many blue characters but they basically compromised his entire existence as one of his parents is now out of the picture in a permanent way. I'm baffled as to what's going on there, Nightcrawler tends to be a fan favourite.

As to Quicksilver being in Avengers as well, Marvel Studios, being relatively new, doesn't own the rights to X-Me, Fox does, and wouldn't give them back. This is why in the Marvel Cinematic Universe they aren't allowed to use the word mutant, at all. This is why the Age of Ultron teaser at the end of Captain America uses the term 'miracles', and I've heard the term 'inhuman' used. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were two of the few characters that belong to both franchises. Marvel will have to alter their origins, as they can't mention Magneto. Being two different studios required of course separate actors.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    Right, the separation thing with marvel makes everything hairy

<spoiler>

Was Apocalypse at the end a girl or were they going for just androgynous? I can see the latter. I'm very excited for this.

As far as dofp, there was some continuity issues I was wondering about but I'm nerdgasming about the reintroduction of Scott and Jean Gray. Cable will be in the Xforce movie...Deadpool is rumored and his separate spin off got a green light (though years and years down the road). Sorry. Rambling. After origins, I was soooo disappointed at the direction but I think Bryan. Singer needs to stay director.

Also, Peter Dinklage is amaze balls.
  • spud_chick
    Options
    Also, Peter Dinklage is amaze balls.

It's true, they didn't give him as much to do as they might have but when I think about him playing Mystique playing Trask it makes me happy :) A subtle bit of acting. He's the whole reason I started watching GoT (Sean Bean too, but mainly him). Without Tyrion the world might never have known how awesome PD is!

Apocalypse was played by a young gent in the post-credits scene:

http://www.mtv.com/news/1832603/x-men-days-of-future-past-apocalypse-actor/
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I saw it a few days ago. I liked it overall. I miss Nightcrawler too. He's my favorite of all the XMen and was bummed he wasn't in this one though I can understand why. I do remember reading that he was supposed to be in XMen 3 but the actor who played him, didn't like the whole make-up ordeal so he passed on being in the movie and thus Nightcrawler was written out of it.
  • spud_chick
    Options
    Yeah, Alan Cumming has a pretty sweet TV gig now, which many actors seem to prefer if the writing is good. It's a bit exhausting to keep up with a role like Nightcrawler (probably most of the X-Men) when you're nearing 50, unless you're Hugh Jackman apparently. Hopefully they can find a good replacement for AC. He did a nice job with it.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    Is it just me or is Hugh getting bigger in each subsequent Xmen movie? I mean big in a good way. That man is cut and has an insane training regimen but it seems like he's on the verge of exploding muscles haha. I have mad respect for his dedication
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Pretty much figured that the whole reason they made this movie was to erase X men 3 which needed to be blotted out of all memory anyway
  • istoria1011
    istoria1011 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Also XMen 2... not that it was bad. But I remember absolutely NOTHING that happened in it.

I'm glad they set the groundwork for reboots.