Paleo and Cardio

Options
jenny373
jenny373 Posts: 28 Member
Hi guys,

I've been sucking up research since I went Paleo about 6 weeks ago and I notice that cardio (as a general rule) is frowned upon in a Paleo lifestyle. I am by no means an endurance runner or anything but I do like to take hikes, walks, bike rides, etc. A major bonus for me as well is burning calories so I can eat a bit more. I have a lot of weight to lose so I have to keep close track of my calorie intake.
So, that being said, where do you stand on cardio? How much do you get and what do you think is a good balance? Thanks for the feedback!

Replies

• NahrasWay
    NahrasWay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's exactly FROWNED upon but from my understanding the point that paleo makes is that our ancestors didn't jog for long periods of time to get anywhere. They walked places for hours and climbed hills (hiking) (heart rate going up and down instead of one steady rhythm) and sprinted to catch their food (HIIT) or sprinted in life or death situations. I'm sure you'll get more answers to this from MUCH more experienced people than me, this was just MY take on it and I look forward to hearing what everyone else says as well.

IMO though if you LOVE to jog then go jog. It seems like to me you are on the right track with hiking, walking, bike riding and such as long as you love it.

I'm personally taking the exercise part slow right now because that's the part of my lifestyle change that always trips me up. I tend to jump in fully and then get pain or discouraged when I schedule something and don't follow through. So for me atm I am trying to get 10 minutes of walking in every day. When the urge hits me to walk more I do which could mean just walking to the store for a few things I need or making a trip to some local dunes which gets my heartbeat up just walking through the sand. Eventually I will start adding time onto my walks though and eventually jogging for 30 seconds while walking for a minute (or something around those lines). At least that's my eventual plan!
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I strongly believe that if it feels good do it. If it becomes a chore or is a drain on your body or mind, it may be worth re-evaluating. The "cardio" that is generally frowned upon is "chronic cardio" at a 70-85% pace. It can increase cortisol and inflammation in the body. Hiking, walking ect is at a much lower level and can only contribute positively to your cardiovascular health and overall wellbeing! Get outside and enjoy :)
  • jenny373
    jenny373 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Hiking definitely appeals to my 'primal' nature. I'll definitely continue on. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I am no big fan of EXCESSIVE or "chronic" cardio. However, people that love to run should run. But to purposefully over-exercise thinking it's beneficial or to eat more food or to lose weight faster is WRONG imo. Cardio should be fun activities, not forced. Such as swimming, hiking, playing with kids, walking dogs, etc. But we also need to build strength and do full effort bursts and explosive bursts of activity from time to time.

I have some friends that like to marathon and they seem to have some health issues related to it. If they love it, they should do it, but not while believing that it is totally beneficial to health. Always just MY OPINION only.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Those activities don't really fall under chronic cardio. They are generally less intense than what would be actual cardio. Lots of movement is good. They fall under move frequently.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/action-item-4-exercise-primally-move-lift-and-sprint/
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I think lots of paleo folks give the rhumbs down to hours on the elliptical/treadmill/bike at a moderate pace. The idea is that moderate exersize doesn't really push your body to optimal fitness the way weight lifting a d highimpact interval training does. Put down those jogging shoes pick up the kettle bell and be prepared to make a new hole in your belt buckle! Also walking is highly encouraged.