Needing To Lose Over 100 lbs, When to Weight Train

Options
First of all, I'm doing the LCHF/Ketogenic diet.. I am needing some advice on weight training. I used to work out with heavy weights, years and years ago. I have over 100 lbs to lose, at this time. I know there is no way to "spot train," but my legs are large (yes, because of the fat), but are even large, when I was quite a bit smaller.

I was wondering if I should just focus primarily on low intensity cardio , until I lose quite a bit more weight, or should I add deadlifts, squats, lunges, etc to my routine. I have read so many differing articles on whether I should lift heavy with lower reps, or lighter, with higher reps. I'm basically wanting to tone, and not add any bulk, while I burn this fat off these big legs/hips. I don't want to look like a deflated elephant, and want muscle to take place of the fat. I'm NOT afraid of lifting heavy, if it gets me a lean, toned body.

I hope this makes sense, and thanks, in advance, for any advice given.

Replies

• catawampushalo
    catawampushalo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'd lift and lift heavy 2 or 3 times a week as well as do cardio (preferably on lifting days, after lifting. So when you have a rest day it's truly a rest day)
  • carltonstedman
    carltonstedman Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Lighter with higher reps (12-20) is specifically what bodybuilders do to promote hypertrophy, the growth of muscle.

Your best bet is to lift heavy in the 3-5 reps per set range. Full-body stuff like squats, deadlifts, bench/press. Something like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts would be ideal. Start out much lighter than you think you can do and consistently overload.

Alternatively, you may want to think of doing kettlebell/dumbbell high intensity interval training (HIIT). Something like The Magic 50, is pretty solid for burning fat while preserving/building muscle. Can be done with kettlebells or dumbbells, it's basically:

* 5 one-handed snatch per hand
    * 5 swings per hand
    * 10 burpees
    * Rest 30-90sec and repeat for how many rounds you want (5 rounds makes the "magic" 50)

As a woman, eating at a caloric deficit (I presume), unless you plan on injecting yourself with high doses of testosterone, you're not going to build much "bulk".

Trust me, I _wish_ it was that easy to get "too big". :)

Good luck!
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    First of all, I'm doing the LCHF/Ketogenic diet.. I am needing some advice on weight training. I used to work out with heavy weights, years and years ago. I have over 100 lbs to lose, at this time. I know there is no way to "spot train," but my legs are large (yes, because of the fat), but are even large, when I was quite a bit smaller.

I was wondering if I should just focus primarily on low intensity cardio , until I lose quite a bit more weight, or should I add deadlifts, squats, lunges, etc to my routine.
    I'd personally avoid low-intensity cardio UNLESS it's all you can do.

Strength-training does wonders, and as Carltonstedman suggested, lift heavy in a lower rep range. The two programs he mentioned are ideal.

90% of my weight-training workouts involve doing only THREE exercises per workout, one of two alternating programs:

workout 1: Squats, deadlifts, bench press
    workout 2: Squats, bent-over row, overhead press

I do a 5x5 program for each of the above.

As for cardio - if you're able to do it, HIIT is superior for improving insulin-sensitivity, and it helps preserve muscle-mass compared to moderate/steady-state cardio.

I *do* enjoy some steady-state cardio myself (I love cycling) but I try to limit that type of exercise to 1 day a week maximum. The other days I alternate strength-training days with HIIT days.
    I have read so many differing articles on whether I should lift heavy with lower reps, or lighter, with higher reps. I'm basically wanting to tone, and not add any bulk, while I burn this fat off these big legs/hips. I don't want to look like a deflated elephant, and want muscle to take place of the fat. I'm NOT afraid of lifting heavy, if it gets me a lean, toned body.

Check out this before/after:
    Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-10.03.58-AM1.jpg

I think she looks amazing in her 'after' picture, taken in 2011 - lean and toned, like you mentioned. Amazingly, at that time, she could deadlift 315lbs. Strong just doesn't always equate to bulky.

FYI, that's staci (you can read about her on nerd fitness, http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/)