Opinion: Rope climbing? Beneficial?

Options
JeffseekingV
JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
I note that my Y has a very thick rope they use for shoulder whips or whatever it's called. But I could tie to something and try a rope climb. I'll probably have to start sitting down and try to climb all arms as I'd have to do it with my body in a "L". The attachment point isn't very high. Like a pull up bar or something. I'm not even sure I could do it but I'm willing to appear stupid and try it.

Replies

• jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If you're that limited with height, attachments etc then it could be a great way to try your hand at legless rope climbs and build your upper body strength.. I love doing standard rope climbs in WODs, but they're not essential if you don't have the equipment. Also keep in mind that the thicker the rope, the harder the climb as it's harder to grip, so you may find it harder than it needs to be...
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    The one at the gym is very think. I'll just have to try it and see if I can get a good grip
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    The one at the gym is very think. I'll just have to try it and see if I can get a good grip

Given that you're a guy it might not be too bad, as your hands are a bit bigger. If it's as thick as the ropes we use at my box for floor stuff (not attached to anything, no climbing) then it could be tough. But there's only one way to find out!!
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    So at the end of my chest/back workout, I had some time so I grabbed the thick rope and tied it to the pull up bar. I started by sitting down and letting my feet sit on the ground. Then pull myself up like I had dead legs. Then finally getting off the ground for a few feet. Eventually I was able to pull myself up by holding body in a "L" and pull up arms only. But even then, it was just maybe 5-6 arm pulls and I was at the bar. It was okay but an interesting experiment. I might try it again. Not bad for grip strength