Washing and drying running shoes ...

Options
2»

Replies

• Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    People still get newspapers? ;)

I throw my running shoes in the washing machine - and then I air dry them. I've never noticed any damage or misshapen-ness (new word? I think so!)

I often exhibit poor judgment though.
  • thebiggreenmachine
    thebiggreenmachine Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The quickest way I've found to dry my shoes is to just stick them in front of a fan, heels first so the air can circulate inside the shoes easier. The more powerful your fan is the quicker they dry :)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

The Baltimore Sun requires an online subscription to see more than 10 pages per month. If you buy the digital subscription only, it costs more than if you buy the cheapest print subscription (Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday) plus the digital. So, yeah, some people do still get newspapers. Not to mention, I need something to put on the table when we have steamed crabs. :wink:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I throw my running shoes in the washing machine - and then I air dry them. I've never noticed any damage or misshapen-ness (new word? I think so!)

I often exhibit poor judgment though.

I live on base and I have the base's Friday paper tossed on my doorstep every week whether I want it or not. About the only good thing in it are coupons for Carl's Jr which I never use because, sabotage.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've never washed my road shoes.

I have to wash my trail shoes almost every time I wear them in the spring. Our trails get crazy muddy and they are caked by the time I get done. In the summer, I just use the garden hose. In the winter when it's cold out and the hose is off, I throw them in the wash. In both cases, I put them in front of a powerful fan to dry (with newspaper too if I need them again quickly).

I used to wash my trail shoes less and they seemed to tear faster if I run in them repeatedly all caked in mud.
  • mish26
    mish26 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Normally I never wash shoes. Hose them off maybe. However, twice I have. Once was a 50K trail race when it rained on us for 5 hours. They were so filthy that I didn't think they'd get close to clean any other way. I regretted it immediately. The first time I put them back on after washing I smashed something on the side when putting them on and from then on that spot rubbed on my foot. The second time was after a 101K trail race where I had been sweating in them for over 20 hours and had even soaked my feet in a creek. Someone was being helpful and put them in a plastic bag after the race. I found them in my car about 10 days later and the smell was....extreme. I knew washing might ruin them, but figured they were ruined anyway, so why not? They were fine after washing. I never dry them in the dryer.
  • stacy71773
    stacy71773 Posts: 27
    Options
    I don't wash mine. I'll hose them off and maybe wipe them down with a rag or something but that's about it. In the past when I used to wash my shoes, they just never seemed the same after.
  • dalguard
    dalguard Posts: 36
    Options
    I wash and dry mine in the machines. I pull the insoles out out and wash them separately and then don't put the insoles in the dryer, but I put the rest of the shoe in the dryer. Haven't had an issue yet.
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have never washed my shoes. I run on my treadmill or a nearby trail (the trail isn't muddy, lots of gravel and rocks).
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Put them in a pillow case. I sometimes put them in the dryer sometimes not. I'm a high mileage runner so shoes don't last that long, so washing them makes no difference.