Feeling lost

Options
acook1679
acook1679 Posts: 30 Member
I have been on such a crazy ride this last year +. I lost an additional 60lbs from 2012 through 2013. My lowest I was 151 on my wedding day. Within 1 week of relaxing, food and alcohol on our honeymoon I was up to 158. Oh well I deserved it. I continued to workout and watch my calories. But the weight wasn't moving, oh well I was focused on getting pregnant. My first doctors appointment was 11/19/2013 and I weighed 169 (I swear that the doctors scales add nearly 10lbs, I was dressed and in the evening). Anyways now 33 weeks pregnant doctors scale in the afternoon says 192 so my doctor sees a 23lb weight, they've told me that's awesome. I've been very active and still logging and watching my calories. Lately I've barely gone over 1600. SO WHY DO I FEEL SO FAT? Am I the only one who has stayed active and can't figure out why their thighs are expanding? I know they are because I asked my 11 year old daughter for the honest truth and she said yes they are. Am I the only one battling this? How come my thighs are getting flabby/etc if I am working out and go going???????????

Replies

• usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    You aren't alone! With my first pregnancy I never worked out and ate what I wanted and I gained 52 pounds. With this pregnancy I am eating "right" and worked out every single day after morning sickness passed and I still gained about 45 pounds. It makes no sense to me, I'm hoping since I gained a better way this time it will help get rid of the pounds a little quicker than the first time. I will also say that the majority of my weight gain, about 30-35 pounds was gained in the second trimester and has slowed a great deal. BTW I'm 39 weeks on Sunday.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    You're most definitely not alone! I've just had my third, 4.5 weeks ago. I exercised all pregnancy - gym, aerobics, spin, step etc - , looked after my older kids, went on lots of walks, worked as a teacher until 35 weeks, and I logged my calories. I increased to 2000 in my 3rd trimester, but this is just slightly below maintenance for me, so in theory I shouldn't gain.

I could feel my thighs getting bigger and bigger, and yesterday I dared to get the tape measure out. Wish I hadn't. My thighs are 3inches bigger, and my waist and hips 6inches bigger. How the hell did that happen? My thighs feel disgusting, and so does my belly. I know it'll probably still go down a little bit naturally, but even so I'm really p*ssed off!

I'll be back at the gym soon. I think initially I'll lose a few inches quite quickly, as I did after my last 2 children. Hopefully having kept fit all pregnancy will mean my fitness comes back quite quickly.

I think we just gain on hips and thighs in pregnancy. Even if you seriously deprive yourself of food, you'd probably end up with extra fat in those areas. Those are my problem areas anyway.
  • acook1679
    Options
    You're most definitely not alone! I've just had my third, 4.5 weeks ago. I exercised all pregnancy - gym, aerobics, spin, step etc - , looked after my older kids, went on lots of walks, worked as a teacher until 35 weeks, and I logged my calories. I increased to 2000 in my 3rd trimester, but this is just slightly below maintenance for me, so in theory I shouldn't gain.

I could feel my thighs getting bigger and bigger, and yesterday I dared to get the tape measure out. Wish I hadn't. My thighs are 3inches bigger, and my waist and hips 6inches bigger. How the hell did that happen? My thighs feel disgusting, and so does my belly. I know it'll probably still go down a little bit naturally, but even so I'm really p*ssed off!

I'll be back at the gym soon. I think initially I'll lose a few inches quite quickly, as I did after my last 2 children. Hopefully having kept fit all pregnancy will mean my fitness comes back quite quickly.

I think we just gain on hips and thighs in pregnancy. Even if you seriously deprive yourself of food, you'd probably end up with extra fat in those areas. Those are my problem areas anyway.

Thanks so so much for posting this and just the way you did. I feel lost and discouraged and confused. Knowing that I am not alone and that someone out there is as mad as I am helps. Its just not right! I still have just over 6 weeks til due and I cannot wait to get back to my regimen hard core. I know this is all for the greater good of my baby but this thigh S&#t confuses me. Again thanks so much!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I can't quite relate (yet) b/c I'm so early but I think you sound like you're doing great! I think it's hard to have to gain weight for pregnancy especially after losing weight in the past, especially for a first pregnancy. Don't be so hard on yourself, you'll soon have your little baby and can focus on eating for yourself without worrying about how it would affect your pregnancy. Funny thing I'm giving you this advice, hopefully I can listen to it myself in a few months!! Good luck!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I haven't even dared to measure myself while pregnant because I know that I've gained a lot! I've tried to stay active and to eat healthy, but I'm also up 46 lbs at 39 weeks!

There were times where I had logged a LOT of calories, but I was still hungry! I felt it was more important to follow my body's cues rather than a number on the internet though, so I ate when I felt that way. I don't regret it at all because I still feel like it's more important to nourish baby and myself rather than to only gain X amount of weight.
  • kalyrra
    kalyrra Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that it's not all fat! I'm sure you're retaining some water weight (which will make everything bigger)! It's annoying, though, isn't it? Especially after working your butt off to lose all the weight!

With my son, I gained around 45 lbs during pregnancy. Within the first 2 months, I'd lost around 30 lbs before it slowed down. Just remember that it takes us almost a year to gain it with pregnancy... give yourself at least a year to lose it! And don't jump into it the week after birth... give your body time to heal first, and then take it slow. Your body has been through a LOT this past year and going slow will help you not injure anything.

I'm already itching to lose weight and get in shape, and I'm not due until October! lol I just remind myself that the first 2 months are all about adjusting, healing, and basically survival with a newborn. Then it's slow and steady from there! :flower:
  • hiba_84
    hiba_84 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You sure aren't alone. My whole exercise routine consists of walking, at around 4 mph, for one hour, at least five times a week. Yet, the very first area that gained the weight and changed size was my thighs. Actually it was the first time that my husband commented on my body changing was that my thighs are expanding. I think it's a natural thing since we need a "solid base" to carry all the extra weight and the belly and that's why they need to expand, lol.
    Needless to say my butt has also put on some good weight. For the sake of keeping sane, i don't measure!
  • acook1679
    Options
    You sure aren't alone. My whole exercise routine consists of walking, at around 4 mph, for one hour, at least five times a week. Yet, the very first area that gained the weight and changed size was my thighs. Actually it was the first time that my husband commented on my body changing was that my thighs are expanding. I think it's a natural thing since we need a "solid base" to carry all the extra weight and the belly and that's why they need to expand, lol.
    Needless to say my butt has also put on some good weight. For the sake of keeping sane, i don't measure!

OMG my mom just said the same thing regarding your thighs needing to "beef" up she says they need to support the extra weight. Too funny! I do appreciate everyone responding with words of encouragement because to be honest I wasn't sure if people would yell at me and say I was being selfish. Thank you all!
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Yep, totally agree! Its pretty funny, but I didn't notice it with my last pregnancy and I "thought" I only gained in my belly. (and I gained 45lbs, but I wasn't swollen, so I didn't feel bigger) Yeah right! lol I remember trying on a pair of pre-preg jeans afterwards and not being able to pull them over my thighs and wondering, What the heck?! LOL This time, I've been painfully aware of the new fat deposits. Thighs, hips, and I've watched it come on my back, too! Fun, fun, fun! :)
  • hiba_84
    Options
    Oh I totally hate the back meat part! I can take thighs and hips but putting on weight in my back makes it feel really ugly!

Yep, totally agree! Its pretty funny, but I didn't notice it with my last pregnancy and I "thought" I only gained in my belly. (and I gained 45lbs, but I wasn't swollen, so I didn't feel bigger) Yeah right! lol I remember trying on a pair of pre-preg jeans afterwards and not being able to pull them over my thighs and wondering, What the heck?! LOL This time, I've been painfully aware of the new fat deposits. Thighs, hips, and I've watched it come on my back, too! Fun, fun, fun! :)
  • hiba_84
    Options
    Well, that's what this group is all about, supporting each other! You are not selfish. We have put so much effort in losing weight and it didn't come about easily so seeing the weight build up again definitely makes one feels bad. It has nothing to do with how much you love your little one or what you are ready to do for them.

OMG my mom just said the same thing regarding your thighs needing to "beef" up she says they need to support the extra weight. Too funny! I do appreciate everyone responding with words of encouragement because to be honest I wasn't sure if people would yell at me and say I was being selfish. Thank you all!
  • sunflower92630
    sunflower92630 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that it's not all fat! I'm sure you're retaining some water weight (which will make everything bigger)! It's annoying, though, isn't it? Especially after working your butt off to lose all the weight!

Yes THIS!!! It is not all fat! A lot of it is water weight/ water retention I know it is soooo hard but try not to give yourself such a hard time you are growing a human after all! The water weight will come off after pregnancy!

"The weight keeps coming off, too. All the extra water your cells retained during pregnancy, along with fluid from the extra blood you had in your pregnant body, will be looking for a way out.

So you'll produce more urine than usual in the days after birth – an astounding 3 quarts a day. You may perspire a lot, too. By the end of the first week, you'll likely lose about 4 to 6 pounds of water weight. (The amount varies depending on how much water you retained during pregnancy"~ babycenter.com

Try to keep your head up we are all in this with you! So hard to feel good after losing so much weight but you are eating healthy and exercising sounds like you are doing everything right. Try to see it as just 9 months of your life and once the baby comes you have the rest of your life to run after your kids and get fit again! :bigsmile: