Do you weigh yourself every day? She lost 100 lbs. !!!

Options
A friend of mine has been on many weight loss programs and she has lost over 100 lbs. She has a very simple system similar to what fitnesspal does but her's is not as detailed as this website. She weighs herself every day without fail. She tracks what she eats every day by calorie counting. She also is a member of TOPS (take off pounds sensibly)

They have a meeting every week and there is one person that weighs everyone in. No one else except for her knows the weight of anyone. This keeps her on track and she makes sure that she stays within a reasonable range.

Some weeks she may gain a pound and other weeks she many lose 3 lbs.

Overall I believe that having that one person weighing her makes a big difference. This record keeping enhances the commitment to stay on track.

I believe that if you are comfortable in telling someone every week what you weigh that it will reap benefits and keep your journey consistent.

Replies

• clowd9
    clowd9 Posts: 10
    Options
    I've been staying away from the scale, because if I can't see it, it isn't happening. :-)
    But I do think being accountable is the only way for me to be successful.
    I'm going to weigh myself every day.
  • 1happydogg
    1happydogg Posts: 15
    Options
    I also weigh myself every day. I lost over 65 pounds last year and want to make sure I keep myself in check and the only way to do that is to know where I am weight wise. If I see the scale creeping up, say 2-3 pounds, I address it immediately and take it right off. Conversely if there is something special ie date nite with hubby and weight is good I may sample the dessert or have another glass of wine. Seems to be working for me and for the first time in my life I feel in control of my weight and not the other way around.
  • jdaywalt01
    Options
    You may think I'm crazy, but I have weighed myself every day for the last 9 years! I actually built an Excel spreadsheet with a separate tab for each year. I not only weigh myself & log it every day, I also log any exercise or health-related notes that I may want to remember down the road (i.e. if I'm sick, went to the doctor). As I start a new year, I roll the "weight" portion of the previous year's tab into the new one (and I've done this each year), so on any given day I can compare my weight this year, vs.each year prior. Now, I do obviously have gaps for days when I'm on vacation or traveling for work, etc., but I can't tell you how much I use this as a motivator and to keep me (somewhat) on track. It's also kind of fun to look back and see things like how much weight do I typically gain over the holidays each year? Or when I'm on vacation? And because I also log any health related symptoms or issues, it's a handy reference when you have to fill out medical history when going to a new doctor, etc. I guess you could say it's a my personal health diary, of sorts!

And P.S. I also take measurements every 6 months or so, because it's not just the number on the scale! ;-)
  • sandiegotennispro
    Options
    I also weigh myself every day. I lost over 65 pounds last year and want to make sure I keep myself in check and the only way to do that is to know where I am weight wise. If I see the scale creeping up, say 2-3 pounds, I address it immediately and take it right off. Conversely if there is something special ie date nite with hubby and weight is good I may sample the dessert or have another glass of wine. Seems to be working for me and for the first time in my life I feel in control of my weight and not the other way around.

That is excellent! How long did it take you to lose your 60 lbs.? I agree totally that by keeping track every day that you can nip it in the bud if you slip a few pounds.

You are inspiring!
  • sandiegotennispro
    Options
    You may think I'm crazy, but I have weighed myself every day for the last 9 years! I actually built an Excel spreadsheet with a separate tab for each year. I not only weigh myself & log it every day, I also log any exercise or health-related notes that I may want to remember down the road (i.e. if I'm sick, went to the doctor). As I start a new year, I roll the "weight" portion of the previous year's tab into the new one (and I've done this each year), so on any given day I can compare my weight this year, vs.each year prior. Now, I do obviously have gaps for days when I'm on vacation or traveling for work, etc., but I can't tell you how much I use this as a motivator and to keep me (somewhat) on track. It's also kind of fun to look back and see things like how much weight do I typically gain over the holidays each year? Or when I'm on vacation? And because I also log any health related symptoms or issues, it's a handy reference when you have to fill out medical history when going to a new doctor, etc. I guess you could say it's a my personal health diary, of sorts!

I guess it is obvious that you are at your goal weight? Did you have to lose a lot of weight 9 years ago?
  • jdaywalt01
    Options
    No, not at my goal weight! :-)
    I'm actually up 15 lbs. from what I consider my ideal weight. Over those 9 years, I've let things slowly creep up a few pounds each year.... so while my daily tracking has been helpful in terms of not letting me get EXTREMELY out of control, I'm definitely not where I want to be right now. Just turned the big 5-0 last year ... it's not getting any easier! LOL
  • 1happydogg
    1happydogg Posts: 15
    Options
    It took me about 10 months to lose most of the weight. The last 5 are tough going. My goal is to drop the last 5 by the end of summer but there is so much fun stuff going on in the summer time it's even tougher!