Just Started Atkins - Share Your Experiences

Options

Replies

• TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Don't think VaporHero is a member on MFP anymore.

Just read some other comments and threads here. Welcome and good luck in your journey in what ever you choose.
  • pncooper
    pncooper Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a starter kit coming from Adkins that should be here in about a week. Anything that you wish you would've known when you started?
  • VaporHero2
    VaporHero2 Posts: 24
    Options
    Im back now. Yes, I've been sticking to the program and have lost 24lbs in 3 weeks.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Awesome and welcome back
  • Maaggie1
    Maaggie1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is day 4 for me, and I'm finding it difficult to eat all the fat grams I'm supposed to. Any suggestions short of just eating butter or mayonnaise? :-)
    Edit - I need to go change my sig line! That 8 pounds lost is a hold-over from over a year ago, at which time my weight loss just stalled out. That's why I'm starting Atkins!
  • Ely34
    Ely34 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I started Atkins about 3 weeks ago. I don't; recall if there is anything written as to how many fat grams we should be having. If you have something that says how many, can you please post it so I can tell if I am eating enough. I started drinking bulletproof coffee in the morning. The butter and coconut oil give me a decent amount of fat for the day. I add a little heavy cream and blend the drink and it is so smooth and buttery and good.
  • VaporHero2
    VaporHero2 Posts: 24
    Options
    Awesome and welcome back

Thanks you!
  • MsAnnThropy
    MsAnnThropy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Really glad to find this group! I've been on Atkins for 4 weeks now (phase 1). Lost 2kg in one week but nothing after that and Im guessing the 2kg was water weight. I was 50kg though (I'm 165cm tall), and only after losing a few pounds then maintaining (now at 48).

The food side is really enjoyable, and the carb cravings go away pretty quickly. My only problem is exhaustion. It is severe and getting worse. I eat a lot of salt and drink a lot of water as I was warned this could happen. My blood pressure has always been low though (60/86) and the dizziness is to the point of almost passing out which scares me. Every time I do my usual workout I feel like I am going to pass out. Does anyone know if there is something else to consider that might be making me exhausted? Any advice much appreciated!
  • 8675309walker
    8675309walker Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat Maaggie1. I lost 8lbs counting calories and have been stuck forever. This is day 4 of my induction!
  • wwmoab
    wwmoab Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm excited to find others trying Atkins. I just read The Diet Fix, by Yoni (I forget), and it was the best I've ever read (and I've read them all it seems!). His book was all about habits and long-term keeping the weight off, but he referenced Atkins quite a few times and I'm combining his habits with Atkins diet.

I'm only on day 7, and I've already lost 10 lbs. (my ticker banner shows 0, because I started at MFP 15lbs lower and then lost & gained for years, started Atkins at a new all-time high).

I'm focusing on carbs at 20 grams, not on fat. I'm planning to take one day off (day 15) and then continue on induction until I lose 40 lbs. I need to lose 30 lbs more than that (hate admitting that). Hoping to learn more here in the Atkins group from those who've stayed in induction. I miss fruit terribly, but I'm not hungry so it feels very doable.
  • mooie70
    mooie70 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised your doctor suggested it. I told my doctor I was doing Atkins and he does NOT support me. We did some bloods and my cholesterol is 'in range' for the first time in over 20 years and he changed his mind ;)
    I had done low calorie diets before and my doctor recently advised me to try Atkins. I had a terrible battle with a medicine I was on that caused me to gain... While on it I couldn't lose :/ So she said because my body is used to the low calories to try Atkins. It seems like a great diet and I have done much research before getting started. I would like to know what are the normal every day foods people incorporate into the diet?? I'm a working mother and some of the meal planning just seems too expensive. I am a simple gal and like my food that way as well :-)
  • 8675309walker
    Options
    I did not buy the Adtkins book.. I went by the web site for my induction ( my diary is open). I did not read anything about net carbs.. Are you low carbers counting carbs or net carbs? I just finished week two and since I only have 10lbs to lose I am moving on to phase two. It would be easier to use net carbs and choose high fiber low carb items. Just want to be sure that using net carbs is okay. Also, for any of you who are in stage 2 or 3 can I have a beer now if it is low carb? Mich ultra is 3 carbs for 12 ounces? Thanks in advance :)
  • 8675309walker
    Options
    I have lost 30 lbs in 90 days. If you have 100 to lose, you will see a big difference right away. Very excited for you! Good luck!!!

I did not buy the Adtkins book.. I went by the web site for my induction ( my diary is open). I did not read anything about net carbs.. Are you low carbers counting carbs or net carbs? I just finished week two and since I only have 10lbs to lose I am moving on to phase two. It would be easier to use net carbs and choose high fiber low carb items. Just want to be sure that using net carbs is okay. Also, for any of you who are in stage 2 or 3 can I have a beer now if it is low carb? Mich ultra is 3 carbs for 12 ounces? Thanks in advance :)
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Day 9 for me. Week 1 was good except 1 evening when I drank wine whilst away working, apart from that no cheating. I lost 6 lbs in week 1, but my clothes are much looser which is good. I had terrible breath and headaches for a couple of days which have both now passed. Week 2 much better, getting educated about the diet, reading all the forums. My skin is much better due to lots of water, and I am just not suffering hunger pains and full of energy. I feel great, the scales may be a little slow to show amazing weight loss but I am very happy. Steady, no cheating and clothes fitting better is a lovely bonus. Good luck everyone
  • VaporDeb
    VaporDeb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Today is day 3 for me. I've done Atkins induction 4 times over the past 18 years and I have always been quite successful! Last time I did it I lost 30 lbs in 90 days. I gained 35 lbs in the past 11 months and am beside myself with disgust. On my profile you can see what has changed in the past 11 months that likely caused the gain (all extreme life changes having nothing to do with food specifically).

When I weighed in this morning (48 hours after starting) I lost 4 lbs and I'm drinking 100+ oz of water daily to ensure no water weight loss confusion. I have always been able to stick to Atkins Induction unlike any other diet I've tried before so I'm not worried about "falling off" at all. Hopefully this will be the same this "go-round!" I'm so focused on staying in ketosis and proving it to myself a few times per day that I stay motivated and don't want my ketostix to ever be anything other than pink or darker. I've never experienced Atkins Flu (amen), and hope not to. I do remember being hungrier for the first few days and that dissipating fairly quickly. I'm not too hungry right now but have been snacking on cheese more than I should (staying at 19 or 20 carbs/day). I'm allowing this for the first few days assuming that this urge will go away soon, as it has in the past.

I've really been enjoying feeling full after each meal!! I have some extra energy but I'm expecting more soon. I've been enjoying the food since I know what my staples have been in the past in induction...I just started with all of those and they are still very enjoyable. I'm sure I'll be branching out to try new recipes as my time in induction goes by to keep it interesting but for the moment I'm very satisfied and excited to see those results that I've seen in the past!!

Best wishes and willpower to everyone!!
  • wwmoab
    wwmoab Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think you are the third person to mention 30 lbs in 3 months, so now I'm focused on that. It makes it easier to not get discouraged when the scale seems froZen on one number. I lost 10 lbs over the first 8 days and not a pound since. I did take one day off and didn't go over board but did have a spinach peanut butter smoothie ---more than 20 carbs just in that drink! I also had popcorn that day, and it took me two days to get back to pink on the keto strips. So...no more days off.

I would love to hear more food ideas. What are some of your staples? Has anyone tried Carbmasters yogurt (5 carbs) or Carb Smart fudge bars (also 5)? I'm trying to not use any "fake" food, but considering these two for when I'm tempted.
  • Kathumm
    Kathumm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi. I decided to try atkins in Jan because my doctor visit resulted in my doctor saying I am about to become a diabetic. So I did Atkins for about amonth and lost a few pounds. My downfall is that I start really craving sweets....and peppermint candy the most. I know that is weird, I should be craving chocolate right?

Today decided to try once more. I need suggestions on how I can fight off the sweet cravings which for me are the begining of the ending of all the progress I make.

Thanks for your help.
  • 8675309walker
    Options
    Changed my weight loss goals today. In the beginning I wanted to get back the weight I had been for most of my mairrage (140). Now that I am so close I have decided to get back to my pre-mairrage weight of 125. I will probably regret it but I am at least going to try. Still on Adtkins >25 carbs a day.
  • elektra1972
    Options
    Hi there everyone, I am new here. To begin with i started the atkins diet 3 days ago. I am 42yrs, 5ft 1 and i weigh 66 kilos. I really only want to lose around 10 kilos. Anyway the reason i am posting is to ask a few questions. I am on phase 1 of induction but last night i went to a wedding and yes i drank around half bottle of wine, but i only ate meat and a few lettuce leaves. My question is will this set me back. Really want to get slimed down before my daughter's 18th birthday bash. Another question i have is with me needing to lose 10 kilos will this take a longer time?
    Thanks Elektra
    68159116.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • NattieRose80
    NattieRose80 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Induction week 3. I am down 6 lbs. granted I had a few rough start days.
    I am loving the Atkins way and I am looking forward to making my way closer to my goal weight by the holidays.

LOL! love the whipped cream idea, I may have to try! I eat a lot of canned chicken and tuna with hot sauce. I love avocado so I will definitely try. Thank you for sharing.

Lately I eat, beef and cheese sticks as snacks with an Atkins bar in the mix for a snack once in awhile. Dinner seems to be Salmon, or chicken with veggies. I am not a huge salad fan, however I love veggies and stir fry. This seems to be the least restrictive diet plan I have ever been on and I love it!

Thanks for the great ideas...