Bike Issue

GuitarJerry
GuitarJerry Posts: 6,102 Member
Ringing sound coming from lower tail pipe.

I know it's a stretch, just need help figuring it out. I just had it serviced and it started about a week after that. I don't think anything's loose, although it kinda sounds like maybe it is. But, when I put my hand up to the bottom tail pipe, you can really hear a distinct ringing. You can't hear anything on the other pipe.

Any ideas?

Replies

• ractrev
    ractrev Posts: 426
    What bike are we talking about? When do you hear it - just at idle, or all the time?
  • eplerd
    eplerd Posts: 91 Member
    Whoever serviced your bike screwed up!!

From what I heard from a friend, the Vstar's wonderful design requires you to remove the from exhaust pipe to get to the oil filter.
    That's why they sell an oil filter relocation kit for those bikes (650 and 1100).
    Frankly I'm SHOCKED that Yamaha designed it that way - who want's to remove an exhaust to change the oil???

here's an example of one such kit:

http://www.jardineproducts.com/index.php/oil-filter-relocation-kit-chrome-758.html

pricey but it saves a couple hours on oil changes according to Jardine web site....

Hope this helps!

Dave
    I RIDE:
    https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=2ced4dd5420cac0ea (June 2011 trip to Alaska and back)
    http://moto-midget.smugmug.com
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    I had a frame bolt work its way loose on my Kawasaki Vulcan once. I figured it was a protest because when I got her, she was almost 5 years old and only had 1200 miles on her, then I proceeded to log 12000 miles in less than a year!

pirate_zps571c0e3a.gif
  • eplerd

Yeah, where I took it sucks balls. It took 2 weeks for 3 hours of work. But, the problem is there's no where else to go. In the big city I live in, there's literally only one place for many miles. it's crazy.

There's one other place, but the reviews are so bad on Yelp, I'm worried about going there.

I'm going to try to do most things myself, and just go to the shop for big stuff. It's not my primary vehicle, so even if it takes me a month to do an oil change, that should be OK. :laugh:

Unless your profile is wrong you're near Long Beach, CA - how can there NOT be more shops nearby?
    Of course I'm not against a 1 or 2 hr ride to get something - I once rode from Newbury Park (ventura County) down to Costa Mesa to buy 2 floppy drives (this was back in 1979 on a 1977 CB 400F - loved riding PCH!!)

Dave
  • butch1101
    butch1101 Posts: 1 Member
    Go down to Wal-Mart and get a tube of red Lock Tight. Every bolt or nut you find loose or bolt thats is taking out put alittle drop of lock tight on and that should fix your problems of losing nuts and bolts
  • eplerd
    Speaking of Lock-Tite....anyone ever notice the difference is sizes of the containers it comes in?
    At the Japanese shops (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, etc) they come in tiny 0.2 oz tubes.
    At the HARLEY shop I went to it came in like an 8 oz container LOL

:laugh: