What happened to my Mental Toughness?

Options
suncluster
suncluster Posts: 539 Member
At the beginning of this month, I felt on top of the world and even declared I had the best run ever on 5/6.
I was very proud but ever since then every run has just SUCKED - my pace has slowed, my lungs are filled with fire, and I have just been working through pain to pain (no injuries). I feel akward again and have lost my rhythm.

The worst thing is the effect on my mental toughness.
When struggling to get to the next landmark goal I find myself just stopping short of my goal. WTF?
I have a 1/2 marathon coming up on 5/24 and this would really put a damper on all the work I have put into training.

I need help! How do I work through this????

Replies

• yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've certainly gone through the highs & lows of running too! The last time, I just couldn't run... no matter what. Turns out I was fighting an infection and got sick. But if you're feeling ok on other fronts, I wonder if it's just fatigue setting in and you just need a couple of days rest? Or some easy runs just to get your mind back in the game again? Since your race is coming up soon, maybe starting to taper might be a good idea anyways.... sorry I wish I could be more of help! I'd like to get tips on getting through the lows too:)
  • suncluster
    Options
    Maybe I am developing more allergies as I get older and am tired because of that. I have been spitting a lot more on my runs and my ears are currently plugged. Strangely, I also have also been hearing a clicking noice in the back of my head that a friend of mine told me maybe my sinus'.
    The pollen counts in Anchorage are super high this year.
    On the upside, my pace (albeit slow) has been very consistent this month. Last month, my pace was all over the map.

I am still finding it hard to keep running when I feel the need to stop whereas before I could push through.
    I will try to not let it defeat me...I will just deal and move on :ohwell:

I have heard some good tips too on how to keep running when it gets really tough
    -catch the "carrot" in front of you
    -if you can see somebody else, don't let them see you stop
    -Run with another person
    -imagine a rope connecting you and the person ahead of you and they are pulling you along.
    -Imagine you are a train chuffing down the tracks. You don't have sore and tired legs, you have wheels
    -Imagine how good you will feel when you finish.
    -Slow down! It takes a lot more energy to go from stop to fast, compared to slow to fast.
    -Smile

What other tips can you share?
  • gooserocks85
    gooserocks85 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    that's a great list of tips.

i know some people are fundamentally opposed to running with music/headphones, but sometimes when i'm mentally exhausted all it takes is one really great song to relight my fire.

i agree that it might be training fatigue, though, and tapering will help with that.
  • suncluster
    Options
    I am usually with my headphones but three days ago they broke. :sad:

It has actually been quite enjoyable listening to the birds singing and the water rushing.
    It doesnt help my pace but I DO think it is helping me reconnect with what I really love about running.
  • gooserocks85
    gooserocks85 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    agreed! i've found that, especially on my long runs, it's nice to unplug and keep the focus on my breathing and the world around me. but i still carry a tiny mp3 player with me just in case i need the boost. it's been a life saver at times.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    You should be tapering now going into the 1/2 marathon in a week. Some folks just don't handle tapering well (unlike me--I run for the taper), could be you're fighting that? Is this your first half? Maybe a bit of anxiety & stress about the upcoming race is working it's way into your mind

Assuming you've trained well up to this point, I'd just relax, enjoy the taper and trust your training & adrenalin will get you over finish line.

BTW, thanks for those great tips!
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I was hating my long runs. We had a terrible winter and I lost my mojo. One day I decided to simplify and go back to when I loved running and do what I did then. For me it was turning off the music and listening to podcasts or listening to nothing. I find when I don't listen to music, I get a lot more thinking done.
  • Shane37301
    Shane37301 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Get out of your head about it. Enjoy your taper time. Get some new headphones, listen to an audio book that you find interesting when you run. My public library has a great selection available for download. Just put everything out of your head and listen to the story.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    How'd the 1\2 go yesterday??
  • suncluster
    Options
    We have a really big wildfire south of Anchorage right now so it was really up in the air whether or not it would be postponed.
    Luckily it was not although smoke was in the air.

I decided just to run and not race. I came in at 2:11:45.
    Mapmyrun measured the course at 13.85 miles and a 9:30 pace. As 13.1 miles, it would be a 10:03 pace.

It must have been a fast group because I placed 185th out of 216.
    I have another 1/2 in August.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    just saw this now -- sounds like you got through & rocked the race! Congratulations!! :drinker: