Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Introduction - New member :)

Gen2703
Gen2703 Posts: 197 Member
Hi ladies!!

I'm a new lifter and read through this group the last few days. You girls seem like an awesome group and I'm sure I can learn lots from you all!!!

Since Jan 1st I've lost 25 pounds, going from 180 to 155. I'm 5'5, 32 years old. After 2 kids and countless sleepless nights, I tried so many different things but now I think I found my love. I run 3-4 times a week and started doing an isolation weights program but didn't really like it. I would like to go down to around 140 but as long as I'm strong and healthy, that is my main goal.

I just started the Stronglifts 5x5 program this week but I've been eyeing it for a while now. I'm already in love with it after 2 days!!

Did workout B today.. I was able to deadlift 95 pounds yay!! I was really happy. I'm glad I found something that makes me really proud of myself.

Oh and excuse me if I include lots of grammar or spelling mistakes, French is my first language :wink:

*Waves at everyone* !! Have a great day :happy:

Replies

• Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Welcome! Good job on the loss so far, that's great progress.
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Welcome! I'm a b00b here too! Add me if you want!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Bienvenue dans le groupe! Une autre québécoise!! [/french]
    For now. There's plenty more where that came from considering that french is my first language too ;)

Good job on losing that much weight in those 5 months since the beginning of the year! I've been strugglign with the same 10lbs this entire time so I'm definitely jelly! Haha.

Lifting is a huge confidence booster, I'll admit. It's great to know you're getting better over time, and stronger, and faster, and all those good things. Helps tackle everyday life with a different outlook, too!

Looking forward to seeing you stick around, and if you have any questions don't be shy!
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Welcome!!! Great job so far! The best has yet to come! :wink:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Hi! Welcome to the group!
  • Gen2703
    I finally added a profile pic.. whew! Fun!

Thanks so much to all of you for the kind words! :flowerforyou: I really appreciate it!

krokador: Super! De quel coin es-tu? Moi Gatineau! :)

I've been around 180 pounds all my adult life and decided it was time to feel good in my own skin for once. I know we won't be having more kids so I can now concentrate on my body and achieving the things I want.

I still have a lot of figuring out with calories in what works for me or not. MFP has me at 1290 cals for dropping 1 pound a week but I really think it's too low. I stick around 1400-1500 most days even then its really hard I find. I started weighing food so I can account for everything precisely. But that's a whole other story.

Thanks again for the warm welcome and I will see you in the forum!
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Welcome, Gen! :flowerforyou:
  • krokador
    Je suis de Sherbrooke, mais j'ai de la famille dans le coin de Gatineau!

And yeah, I don't know how tall you are, but I know for a fact lifting and eating 1200 cals a day is a bad combination! You probably don't need to be as aggressive as 1lbs per week at your current weight, anyway!
  • Gen2703
    krokador: awesome! if you're ever in Gatineau let me know we can go for drinks (i'm the shy type but trying to break out of that shell lol) !! :drinker:

Yeah I know 1200 is way too low for lifting. I'm 5'5. I changed my settings at 1500 and I really try to eat as clean as possible - chicken, tuna, spinach, avocado, oatmeal, greek yogourt, almonds, fresh fruits and veggies, protein shakes, etc... are all part of my typical day. According to IIFYM, my TDEE is 1940 (for activity level = 3 times a week) and for fat loss it suggests 1552 (-20%). I'm kind of basing it on that and will adjust as necessary. Do you think it's a good starting point?
  • amylahminute
    amylahminute Posts: 613 Member
    Hello! Newbie here too. Looking forward to seeing you around. :)
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    I'm 5'6" and with my bodymedia it told me i burn 2700 on average over the last month i had it. What type of job do you have? Sitting or up around walking? You may very well burn more if you are active during the day.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Welcome! This is an awesome, supportive, helpful group!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Welcome! :smile: We have a good group of ladies here.
  • Gen2703
    Such a wonderful warm welcome from everyone thanks!!!!

Job: yep I sit around all day, I test web/desktop applications.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Calorie amounts are such a game of trial and error. I think you picked a good place to start. If you are hungry/tired/cranky etc up it a bit. If you aren't losing as expected drop it a little bit (assuming you give it a couple of weeks, I found I held onto a lot of water weight for the first month or so)
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Welcome to the group, Gen. I'm a relative noob here but have gotten lots of support and great advice here.:flowerforyou:
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Bienvenue! Je peux parler Francais tres mal! It makes me sound fancy when I know how to pronounce certain things though, so hooray for that.
  • krokador
    krokador: awesome! if you're ever in Gatineau let me know we can go for drinks (i'm the shy type but trying to break out of that shell lol) !! :drinker:

Yeah I know 1200 is way too low for lifting. I'm 5'5. I changed my settings at 1500 and I really try to eat as clean as possible - chicken, tuna, spinach, avocado, oatmeal, greek yogourt, almonds, fresh fruits and veggies, protein shakes, etc... are all part of my typical day. According to IIFYM, my TDEE is 1940 (for activity level = 3 times a week) and for fat loss it suggests 1552 (-20%). I'm kind of basing it on that and will adjust as necessary. Do you think it's a good starting point?

I'm 5'6" and 185lbs and I find 1700 cals is my sweet spot of not too hungry and not eating too much atm. I seem to maintain around 2200 (Apparently I was blessed with a rather sluggish metabolism, wee!). I too have a desk job, so I really only burn calories when I'm working out haha. As others have said, it's a bit of a game of trial and error. See how you feel and how your body reacts at 1500, adjust accordingly in 3-4 weeks. Unless you feel like you're not recovering well/are hungry all the time in which case you can up your cals a bit more !
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    This makes me sad that French was always full in college so I couldn't continue my high school French classes and had to do Italian instead :(

Welcome! Lifting makes you feel like a badass. Guaranteed.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Hi! Welcome to lifting, it's really great :)