New little flounder

Options
smm773
smm773 Posts: 56 Member
Hello All! Thanks to Ms_J1 for pointing me to you! I am excited to learn some more from you all. I had bariatric surgery in December, and have lost a total of about 70lbs so far. I have had a ton of orthopedic issues, and so swimming and water aerobics have been my go to exercise.

I joined a YMCA in January, and hired a trainer for the water that I see maybe once a month to get a new plan, check in, etc. I have always been comfortable in the water, but never really knew how to properly do strokes, etc. I am in the pool about 3-4 times a week, and a typical workout looks like this:

200 kick
200 pull
200 swim
8x25 sprint -pushing off every 45 seconds
50 easy
200 side stroke drill
200 pull drill
200 bilateral breathing drills
200 catch up
200 easy

The new sprinting was just changed from 8x25 R:1, so I am sucking wind now, but I think that's good. I just got a waterproof shuffle, so that helps to have something to listen to in the water besides my making bubbles!

I wish that I could do flip turns, but despite being a gymnast for 13 years, anytime I flip now in the water, it makes me want to vomit . . .I have that issue with being in swings also (I work in a school, so I have these opportunities often :)

Anyways, just wanted to say hello, and that I look forward to learning from you all, getting encouragement, and maybe improving my skills some.

Have a great Wednesday!
Suzanne

Replies

• ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a super workout!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group, looks like you're on a great plan. I love my shuffle also, I'm in the water for a long time, so I would go stir crazy without it.....
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. Your workout is a workout! Good job.
  • dickrocketjones
    dickrocketjones Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    welcome to the group. sounds like your off to a great start. i sometimes fool around with flip turns, but i'm concentrating on open turns which allow me to work longer without getting out of breath which allows me to work on my endurance which is where the fat is really burned (worst run on sentence ever). if your looking for freinds you can add me.
  • smm773
    smm773 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome everyone!!