Eyes and diabetes

Options
Luizam25
Luizam25 Posts: 87 Member
Hello,

Just wondering if you noticed a significant change in your eyes "behaviour". I have been dealing with diabetes for 4 years now and my eyes have been ok. Just recently, I have blurred vision, I see "double" when I read...etc. I do have reading glasses but never needed to use them. I noticed a dramatic change in a matter of a 2 weeks or so. Anybody with a similar experience. I am going to the eye dr in 2 weeks.

Replies

• Alsvic
    Alsvic Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    With such a quick change I do not think waiting two weeks is a good idea. You could have underlying health issues causing this. See if you can get in to the doctor earlier.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I notice my eyesight seems to change a bit with my sugar level, but your problem sounds like a different situation. I agree...call the doctor and tell them about the double vision, etc. They can determine if they need to get you in quicker. Good luck.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    Luizam25, my eyes have deteriorated in the course of a few years, and coincidently it started out as double vision. I have to get my eye pressures checked regularly and monitor them for weak/damaged blood vessels. My dad lost his sight completely because of diabetes in his early 40s. Keeping the blood sugar at a normal range is key, but in the meantime, I agree with Alsvic that perhaps you should see a doctor sooner. Best of luck!
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Luizam25, my eyes have deteriorated in the course of a few years, and coincidently it started out as double vision. I have to get my eye pressures checked regularly and monitor them for weak/damaged blood vessels. My dad lost his sight completely because of diabetes in his early 40s. Keeping the blood sugar at a normal range is key, but in the meantime, I agree with Alsvic that perhaps you should see a doctor sooner. Best of luck!

Losing your eye sight would be terrible. Sorry about your dads eyesight GrokRockStar. I get my eyes checked regularly. I agree with everyone to try and get an appointment sooner with your eye doctor! Let us know how it goes.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I hope that you've made an appointment to see your vision care provider a lot earlier by now. This is NOT something I'd wait on.
  • Luizam25
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words. I have a new appt to see the dr this Monday. I feel exhausted. Diabetes had such a blow on my health.
  • Luizam25
    Options
    It seems that my eyes are tired but did not get damaged from diabetes. This is good news for me. Still, the eye doctor gave me a new prescription for reading glasses.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Thanks for the update, and it's great news that diabetes isn't causing damage to your eyesight. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Luizam25
    Options
    Thanks Lynn!