Need Help with Some Calf Pain

Options
I have been training for several months for a half marathon scheduled for April 18. In the past, I have had problems with my left calf (calf heart attack) and had to learn to rehabilitate it. Fast forward 2 years and I have been doing great with my half marathon training. I wear compression sleeves and ramp up slowly. Yesterday, for my 13 mile run, I decided to run 6 miles on the road and 7 miles on the trails in a hilly environment. That is first time I have run on trails in about 6 years. With about 2 miles to go my left calf really tightened up and was painful in the same spot I had my calf heart attack. This time though I did not feel the pull or pop.

Now, I am not sure how to treat this with only 3 weeks to go until the half marathon. The half marathon will be on a flat surface. I don't know whether to see someone or even if I am going to be able to run the half marathon. What are your thoughts? Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Have you tried icing your calf? and wear your compression sleeve during recovery? I am not running nearly as far as you but that would be the first things i would do.
  • Runswimbike45
    Options
    I have done both and I hope that is enough. I am planning on getting on the elliptical today and then test things out on Sunday when I am scheduled to run 10 miles.
  • melaniedsm
    melaniedsm Posts: 55
    Options
    Get a foam roller. I warn you it will hurt when you roll it out, but then it feels amazing. I have gone to rolling out everytime I finish a workout. A trainer showed me at this bootcamp I am doing and I wish someone would have shown me before. I ran 1/2 marathon on Saturday and he showed me Monday. By tuesday all hip/calf pain gone. They are super cheap on Amazon, I am ordering one for at home. The trainer equated it to a deep tissue massage, but you can do it to yourself so way less costly.
  • Shannonscott10
    Shannonscott10 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have had a similar problem with calf muscles not working just right every since I broke my foot 2 years ago. Try rolling a tennis ball or golf ball on the bottom of your foot. (you stand on it and work it around.) Those calf muscles wrap & attached under your foot. Sometimes the foot is where the aggravation is but pain is in the leg. Foam rolling is Great too!

IDK if it will help, but it shouldn't hurt either