Hospital Preperation

Options
fabulessmommy
fabulessmommy Posts: 40 Member
Hey Guys! My surgery date is June 3rd. Trying to get prepared for the hospital stay. What did you guys take or what do you wished you had taken with you?

Replies

• JxAAA
    JxAAA Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I didn't need much. I packed a bag with loose clothing/pants, slippers, kindle, chapstick and a pillow or something for the ride home to help with the pain on the bumpy ride home. I never used the kindle.
  • sue100194
    sue100194 Posts: 129
    Options
    ear plugs. Maybe I would've slept better :) I never used my Kindle either. Morphine makes it hard to concentrate.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I just brought lip balm and my cell phone. I was only there overnight.
  • shoerack45
    shoerack45 Posts: 30
    Options
    Similarly, I only brought chapstick and my cell phone. I didn't miss anything so that was all I needed. Up until I walked out the door I thought I would bring a book. Glad I didn't, I wouldn't have opened the thing. I was either in surgery, sleep, walking, groggy and then gone (only overnight stay).
  • tompkinsw
    tompkinsw Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My surgery is June 2nd. I'm bringing the loose clothes I'll be wearing, a toothbrush and toothpaste, a paperback book (Not bringing Kindle - fear of theft) and my smart phone.
  • GraceByMySide
    GraceByMySide Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just got home today!!! Yay!!! I took- too much!! Too many books (read about 4 pages), 2 nighties (didn't wear either one, stayed in my sweats), protein supplement that they suggested I take, just to have something I knew I liked, and my info binder (which I never touched).

What I did take that I'm glad I had- my iPod and a good pair of headphones. That was the only way I could sleep the second night. Other than that, 2 loose fitting tee shirts and a couple pair of loose sweats were all I needed. They provided chapstick...

Best wishes to you and if/when the "Oh my God, What did I just do to myself!!" hits, just ignore it! I'm soooooo glad that I had read that on here before I went, because it DID INDEED hit and I knew that it was a normal feeling!!! 48 hours ago, I was being wheeled out of surgery (Wed. at noon), all day Wednesday I couldn't tell you which end was up. I did my walking with 2 lovely nurses and had no idea the next day that it was them. Yesterday, I really tried to get the drinks in, but 4 oz an hour just wasn't in the cards. TAKE THE TIME YOU NEED!!! Although I wanted to go home yesterday, I am SOOOO GLAD that I waited. I am drinking at least 6 oz slowly over the course of an hour and feel pretty damned good!!

I am so freakin' excited now!!!!! I hope you are, too!!

~Emma :flowerforyou:
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    The only things I really needed were lip balm, my iphone and charger, and the loose comfy clothes I wore to the hospital (so I would have something to wear home -- I chose an empire waist dress and a cotton leisure type bra that fastens in front and no underwire). The hospital supplied everything else I needed. Oh and I made sure that my friend who drove me home from the hospital brought a pillow to stick between the seat belt and my tummy.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Loose comfy clothes, slip on shoes, socks and robe for walking in the hallway, cell phone (although I couldn't see it after surgery - side effect of the morphine), kindle to read or listen to music on, chargers for cell phone and kindle, toothbrush, toothpaste hairbrush, chapstick and a pillow to put over stomach on the ride home.

I was only there overnight and didn't feel like doing anything except the required sipping and walking until the following morning. Then I was up and showered (with the help of my mom) by the time the doctor came around to check me and I was released to go home.
  • lucyw70
    lucyw70 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My surgery was on 5/22. All you really need (depending on how long you stay) is lip balm, cell phone, loose fitting clothes to go home in, and I would suggest vitamin water zero or something that you can drink afterwards that you like. The liquid diet that my hospital supplied was not good at all. The crystal light was WAY too sweet as was the jello. The only thing I ate on my tray was the broth and it needed extra water because it was salty. They did bring me a propel water that was much better. I wasn't really hungry but knew I needed to keep up my fluid intake. I highly recommended a small pillow to put in between the seat belt and your stomach on the way home. Good luck!
  • plmelquist
    plmelquist Posts: 42
    Options
    Didn't take a pillow for the ride, didn't need pain killers, either. I was there 2 nights .... glad I had my iPad and my iPhone. Wore home what I wore in.

You'll be great! Congrats!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Front snap night gown to wear home, Chapstick, phone w/charger, toothbrush/paste, pillow, slippers, crystal light raspberry ice.
  • priceless97
    priceless97 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My surgery was May 19th. I brought a night gown (which I had the nurse put on me the following day--I stayed two nights), a robe, slippers, my phone charger and my phone. That was it. I knew I wouldn't want to read anything or do anything. My nurses gave me chapstick so I didn't need to bring that. Oh and my toothpaste and toothbrush. I felt so much more comfortable in my own clothes! My nurses kept the popsicles coming which was always great. I liked the jello and the diet lemonade they gave me but the broth sucked majorly! lol I ate it cause I knew I needed the fluids. Oh and a sleep mask because the hospital room lights are BRIGHT. I know there were times early in the morning when I'd just fallen asleep where I didn't want to be bothered--i just stuck my arm out and let them take the blood pressure and my blood sugar with the mask on because I knew I was heading right back to sleep. lol I wore a loose fitting dress there and I wore it back home.
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I am curious to ask about the significance of the lip balm / chap stick. I don't recall having one when I had my tonsils and appendix out. Maybe I did, I'm not sure. Is there some reason why everyone suggests to bring one and that some hospitals supply them?

Good idea to bring the mask for your eyes. I am extremely light sensitive and prefer a shaded room but I'll likely have a semi-private room and someone who prefers the shades open.

Great suggestions to read on this thread. :flowerforyou:
  • priceless97
    priceless97 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It may have to do with the tube that is pushed down your throat during surgery. My mom said my surgeon told her that it was difficult to get it down my throat cause I have a small mouth. I think they give it you because your mouth is opened for a long time and your lips are stretched whic can cause chapped lips. Those are just my thoughts. My lip was sore in one spot after surgery . I guess it was because of the tube being taped on lip in that area.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I was not allowed to drink at first, just suck on ice chips and my lips we soooo dry, Glad I took my chap stick, used it continuously.
    Good Luck on your surgery.
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback as to why we need the chapstick. I have since learned about the barium test that they do to test for leaks and that we can't really drink anything before that test is done. :smile:
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I brought my own pajamas, chapstick, my phone and ipad. I didn't read, but I did use the ipad to play some games and help pass the time. Good luck!
  • GraceByMySide
    GraceByMySide Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I hope everything went well for you and you are already home walking around the whole town!! :smile:
  • fabulessmommy
    fabulessmommy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hey friends! 4 Days Post Op! So far everything is going good. I'm learning that i have to see eating in a whole new way. The first day was rough. I felt like I had been punched in the chest a few times but every day it's got better. I'm hoping to go back to work on Monday!
  • lucyw70
    lucyw70 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I was able to go back to work 6 days after, was a little sore but made it through. Each day gets better and better, just be sure to take it easy and don't overdo (because you are feeling better and will want to do more and more).