RR: Half marathon annnndd... Meeting DEENA KASTOR!

Options
thepetiterunner
thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
This morning I ran a half marathon as part of the Women's Fitness Festival and had been planning on a PR. Unfortunately, it was also supposed to hit 105 today, and even at 6 am, it was already well into the low 60s. Not good.

Anyway, we started around 7:!5 and it was hot easily by mile 3 or so. I mean, everyone was just pouring sweat. But, miraculously enough, I was able to hang with a PR-pace for the first half. Just after mile 8 or so, the heat really started affecting me. I felt super heavy and sluggish and water, my S caps and honey stinger energy chews were just not cutting it. I literally almost quit and started walking at mile 12-12.5, but my old running coach caught up with me and started pushing me to go on. Well, you can't really quit RIGHT in front of your coach, so I pulled my *kitten* together and got across the line, just about 3 minutes shy of my PR. Ah well, that's life.

BUT the best part of my day was meeting 2004 Olympian and American marathon record holder, Deena Kastor. She was at the event and hanging out with my training group (Fleet Feet) and I was lucky enough to snatch a bit of her time and got a photo with her. She even signed my bib! I'm not one to normally get starstruck, but I gotta say, this has got to be one of the highlights of my running career. I would have NEVER thought, four years ago when I decided to start running that I'd meet an olympian and record holder and that it would be so meaningful to me. Running really is life changing.

Here's a picture of the two of us:

DeenaKastor.jpg

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Very nice! Congrats.
    I know of two women who started, and then pulled up short because it was too hot.
    You are a STUD! (or whatever the female equivalent is...)
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    A Stud-ette?

Ha! ~ Congratulations on completing the run and on meeting such a neat lady.

Here's to many more miles and wonderful events like this!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Congrats and so cool!!!
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    congrats! fab picture you look very cool and relaxed in it not the hot sweaty mess I would be in those temps
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! It was a really amazing experience :)
    congrats! fab picture you look very cool and relaxed in it not the hot sweaty mess I would be in those temps

Well, this was the "before" picture, about 20 minutes before race time. I did NOT look like this by the end of it. ;)
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, and what an experience! This will be a race to remember for you!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    A great keepsake, and a moment you will always remember.

Oh, and, I LOVE your tank!