Drop in Pace

Options
runner475
runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
I'm seeing a drop in my pace as the weather pattern has changed and we are moving towards summer solstice. I have slowed down by almost 20 - 30 seconds on an easy run.

Is anyone else seeing the change? If yes, jus' curious how much is the difference.

Would you be doing anything different or changing your training to bump up the pace? If yes, what.

As always thanks for your response.

Have a wonderful day.:smile:

Edited for typo

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    That is a little bit more than I would expect, although we are all different. as it gets warmer and more humid you can see a change. I try and keep my training focused on effort more than pace (which is hard for a Type A to do!), especially as humidity climbs.
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My pace drops the first couple of hot weather runs that I do. Then I acclimate and start hydrating a lot more before I head out, and am able to go at my usual pace. For me, water seems to be key for not slowing down during the heat. If I'm even a little dehydrated, I'm going to be dragging. I increase my fluid intake a LOT during summer. If I don't, I definitely notice it on my runs.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Perfectly normal to slow down as the weather warms up. It takes the body about 3 weeks to acclimate to the heat, after which, you'll see your pace start to return to the previous levels.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing a drop in my pace as the weather pattern has changed and we are moving towards summer solstice. I have slowed down by almost 20 - 30 seconds on an easy run.

Is anyone else seeing the change? If yes, jus' curious how much is the difference.

Would you be doing anything different or changing your training to bump up the pace? If yes, what.

As always thanks for your response.

Have a wonderful day.:smile:

Edited for typo

As temp increases, HR will tend to increase. If you're doing HR based training, you've got to vary your pace as conditions change (altitude, grade, terrain, wind, temperature, fatigue, etc.)

Starting with 60ºF as a baseline, drop your pace by about 4 seconds per mile for every 5 degrees. I don't know how temps below 60º impact pace.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get slower as the heat starts up but eventually I am back to my normal pace 3-4 weeks.