Fooducate app

Options
FauxFoxx
FauxFoxx Posts: 53 Member
I found this crazy awesome new app called Fooducate! It’s on iphone and android. Also, they have a neato website.

Anyway, it’s a FREE app that let’s you scan products in the grocery store, your home, or use the search function and it tells you how “good” or “bad” a product is by giving it ratings. Not so much good or bad, because no food is inherently good or bad.. Just how processed and how questionable the ingredients and additives are.

"Each product is automatically graded (A-, B+, C, etc…) by a scientific algorithm based on its nutrition facts and ingredient list.
Fooducate recommends minimally processed, real foods, that are naturally rich in nutrients and antioxidants.”

I know for me it's helped eat cleaner. I don't really know how to read a list of ingredients when half of it says it contains xantham gum or something else equally foreign. Hope this post doesn't come off spammy but, it's really a great app. I use it every time I hit the grocery store.

http://www.fooducate.com/

Replies

• Ramen237
    Ramen237 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will definitely check it out! Sounds useful :)
  • kanona_42
    kanona_42 Posts: 8
    Options
    The easiest thing you can do... if the ingredient list contains more than 10 ingredients, and you can't pronounce some of them, don't eat it. If you know what they all are (i.e. they're all recognizable foods/spices), you're probably good! If the app helps, great!

Truly good, clean foods will contain a half dozen ingredients or less, and they will be easy to read - milk, dates, almonds, salt, etc.

That's the best advice I've ever gotten to reading food labels!
  • FauxFoxx
    FauxFoxx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. I've been trying to do that as well but sometimes I cave and purchase bread or prepared pasta sauces. The app itself can be helpful because I may want it initially, but after scanning it I'm like NOPE, next!
  • sunsoakeddreamer
    sunsoakeddreamer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I know I'm late to the party on this one, but I really like this app too! I'm still transitioning/learning, and also trying to feed the Mr. who still wants burgers and hotdogs and such. There are lots of things we used to eat regularly that score a D, oops! Now we're in the B and up range. This sounds arbitrary but the motto of the app is "eat a bit better" and that's exactly what it helps you do.
    Also, I was starting to spend a really long time at the super market just comparing labels, now the process is much quicker since there's a button that gives you alternatives and you can easily see the highest scoring product in the category.