Heel Spurs (Hypo - Medicated) Help!!!!??

Options
I was diagnosed 15 years ago (and medicated) I am now on 175mcg. Awaiting new test results; I think I am about to be put up to 200mcg. I have the normal, dark circles under eyes, dry nails, thin eyebrows, grey skin (sometimes) I am over weight etc etc.. For the last few days I have a truly painful heel. I can not put any weight on my heel nor can I walk; I am 153 and 158 lbs so I don't think its due to being too heavy. This seems to have spread into my calf and now its really horrible to walk. With that I today have really blurry vision my eyes feel foggy. Anybody had this before? I am trying not to worry (I am actually sat at work right now).

Replies

• leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm hypo and have plantar fasciitis, but the two are not related (other than me being overweight likely contributes to the p.f). P.F is typically far worse in the morning, when you first wake up, and subsides throughout the day. It hurts primarily the heel, but can affect my shin/calf if I walk funny to compensate.

I do not know if that's what you have - if not, them I'm of no help to you. But if it is P.F., here is what helped me:

1) Buy some good shoes to wear. For work (where I spend most of my time, M-F, 9-6) I bought the FitFlop Due. You can find other recommendations here: http://www.apma.org/learn/content.cfm?ItemNumber=1108&navItemNumber=542

2) I put special inserts into my workout shoes. I developed P.F after increasing my exercise. The weight lifting/jumping I was doing (at my weight) aggravated it, but putting the insoles in my workout shoes helped.

3) I stretch - I do stretches for my achilles, but honestly, the best stretch is rolling a tennis ball under the foot that has the hurting heel. It feels great and relieves a lot of pain. I keep one under my desk at work and a few at home.

If you don't think you have P.F., here's some other descriptions of heel problems: http://www.apma.org/Learn/FootHealth.cfm?ItemNumber=985

I hope this helps.
  • LoraleiDean
    LoraleiDean Posts: 100
    Options
    You might be low on your sodium and/or magnesium.
    Try sipping on some chicken broth or Gatorade, then see how you feel.
    If that doesn't do it, maybe magnesium supplements are worth a try.
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've got pretty bad tendinopathy in both my heels, calves and wonky knees. My meds are fine, but I'm sure being hypothyroid contributes to the problem. Everything just sort of happened all at once and of course I never had the problems before my thyroidectomy. Could be a coincidence, but who knows. I would see out a physical therapist and let them help you determine what's going on, figure out where your weaknesses are and help you get back on track.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Please see a doctor.
  • xxxMumof2xxx
    Options
    Ended up admitted to hospital yesterday. I was Hyper (normally Hypo) after too much medication over the past few months. Routine appointment saw me sent to the hospital. My sight was blurry, flashing with floaters.. All because I was on too much medication.. Apparently.

Got the heels sorted too, totally right- I need better shoes ;)I have a really high instep and wear flats = fail lol.

Should be feeling normal in 4-6 weeks. Phew.

Thanks all :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Thank you for seeing a doctor, and I'm glad you got some answers.

I hope you feel better soon.
  • Frigs
    Frigs Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the calf stretches...I spent a summer battling plantar faciitis. Was not pretty. Couldn't walk. Was bad in the mornings. Streching calves helped. I think exercise with too much weight and not proper stretching aggravated it.

Physical Therapist are wonderful for helping with these issues. once you get it..you really have to stay on top of it. Good thing with these types of ailments is we should be stretching more anyway to maintain flexibility so having a solid reason to do it sometimes helps with getting disciplined about it. youtube calf stretches...there are lots out there...some are more effective than others...glad you had some relief!
  • xxxMumof2xxx
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Pleased you found medical help, sorry for the way you ended up there though. Hope you'r feeling on the mend.

I agree with supporting the arches, it made a real difference to me too. It is such a long time ago that it was so very bad, years but I do sometimes pop the insoles into shoes which are less supporting. I have to admit this is one thing I attributed to my salicylate issues rather than anything else. Interesting. Thank you for stimulating my grey cells.