A1C results and medication drops....

Options
scubasuenc
scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
I just got my latest round of blood work. My A1C is now 5.6. That is down from 10.5 last September. At 10.5 I went on Lantus. I stopped the Lantus in March. Now I get to reduce my metformin down to 500mg per day. The goal is to get off it all together in 3 months if the numbers still look good.

Total cholesterol was 126, with "bad" LDL at 54. So I also get to stop taking Crestor too. That is the one I really wanted to get off as it is expensive, even with insurance.

Replies

• changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Oh yay. Words cannot express how happy I am for you!!!!!!!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Congrats. That's great - you are managing your bgl very well. Getting off or reducing meds is a good place to be. I hope you hit your next goal. Good job.
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    A fantastic and commendable achievement. I'm very happy for you. Congratulations!
  • sfsoccermom2
    sfsoccermom2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Great news!
  • swalewis
    swalewis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! Congrats! I would also like to low my medication and eventually get off. I'm working on it slowly but surely.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Wonderful news and congrats on a job well done :flowerforyou: I'm kind of at the same point, A1C of 5.6 and likely getting off my diabetes med (glipizide) by the end of summer.
  • KatherineMichelle72
    Options
    I just got my latest round of blood work. My A1C is now 5.6. That is down from 10.5 last September. At 10.5 I went on Lantus. I stopped the Lantus in March. Now I get to reduce my metformin down to 500mg per day. The goal is to get off it all together in 3 months if the numbers still look good.

Total cholesterol was 126, with "bad" LDL at 54. So I also get to stop taking Crestor too. That is the one I really wanted to get off as it is expensive, even with insurance.

Thank you so much for sharing this.. and congrats on the A1c drop and everything.. I just had to start Lantus and Victoza.. in addition to metformin and now reading your story I know I can beat this... !!!!:bigsmile:
  • Alsvic
    Alsvic Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Scubasuenc

That is my next goal as I would like to get off Crestor, it costs way to much as there is not a generic version available. I hope you don't mind as I would like to use you as an example during my next doctors visit.

After all this exercise and diet changes I assume I would really decent cholesterol levels.

That said I will admit that Crestor really did lower my cholesterol levels by 39%. I went from 237 total cholesterol to 146.
  • streety26
    streety26 Posts: 4
    Options
    congratulations! im having a hard time geting of my meds- my sugars are normal a few spikes here and there, but i cannot drop the weight. no matter what or how hard i try. it makes me want to give up but then seeing this post gives me hope.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Congratulations on these great results! It's motivating to read about people who reach their goals. Could you share with us the changes you've made that led to these results? ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • cindysess
    cindysess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My A1C was 6.1, down from 6.9, just 3 months ago. I also lost 9 lbs in those 3 months.
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    That's really awesome! I am hoping to get my numbers down that low, too! What an inspiration you are.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on these great results! It's motivating to read about people who reach their goals. Could you share with us the changes you've made that led to these results? ~Lynn /Glucerna

I have been diligent about losing the weight. I have lost all 95+ lbs since that 10.5 A1C last September. Like others I have lost weight in the past, but this time I have focused on exercise as well as diet. I ride my stationary bike 45 minutes per day almost every day of the week, and aim for a second workout with weights 3 days per week. The other thing has been not restricting my diet too much. I have set my calorie goals for a 2lb per week loss and stuck with that, even when it seemed like it was high. That has given me the flexibility to have treats every now and again so I don't feel like I'm cheating or deprived. While I do try to eat high protein and keep my carbs under control, I do not follow a low carb diet. I eat around 100 to 120 carbs per day. IIFIYM best describes my diet approach, there are no forbidden foods but I do try to stay within my macro goals for each day.

I have come to recognize the dietary and exercise changes not as something temporary but something I will need to work on the rest of my life. Once I reach my weight goals I will still monitor my calories, but at my maintenance level. I also plan to continue exercising, but I will not do so as frequently. Even though I test less frequently, I still test my fasting levels each day, and often test around a meal or exercise to ensure my sugar levels are in the normal range.
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    You are doing great! This is what I hope to achieve over time. I had a recent A1c of 9.4 and the doctor said insulin was in my near future if I didn't get it under control as other meds were not helping (Januvia). I started tracking 100% of my foods and adjusted to the same carb limits of 100-120. Weight is coming off regularly and my fasting glucose is always under 100 now. Excited to go back to the doctor in 6 weeks (never been excited before!). Thanks for sharing your story - very encouraging to the rest of us that are working to become healthy too!
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Thanks for sharing what has helped you reach this point scubasuenc. Changing your attitude to focus on making gradual and sustainable changes is really important. I was just reading how feeling deprived often is a major reason why people don't stick with healthier ways of eating, and it's great that you've found a way to reach your goals and include foods you love. Keep up the great work! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • savvy_jess
    savvy_jess Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't post often but Congrats on both the sugars and the weight loss scubasuenc!!!! You are doing an awesome job!!! My diabetes diagnosis was my wake up call as I was a complete sugar addict. I too strive to go off medications and keep going with the weight loss. Hearing stories like yours is what keeps me going!!!! :happy:
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your test results! And, way to go on your program that seems to maximize sustainability.

I'm particularly envious of your ability to incorporate multiple forms of exercise during the day. I'm shooting for that myself, but I'm still struggling with it.. ;)

Thanks for sharing.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Bravo! Applause, applause!