Emotional/stress eating

Options
iwannabinnarnia
iwannabinnarnia Posts: 179 Member
I really thought I had my emotional eating under control...then last week hit. It was a week (and still is) of crying, and stressing.... I didn't turn to chocolate like I once would have... but I drank 4 large Cinnamon Chai drinks in the 5 days of the work week. Then some here and there type snacking of things I shouldn't have. But I just want to know how some of you deal with emotional eating.

Replies

• emy_r
    emy_r Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've never been much of an emotional eater. Instead I smoked (and would go for drinks ever so often as well!). I've quit smoking and recently switched jobs and the Friday afternoon happy hour hasn't happened but once or twice lately. I definitely gained some weight when I quit smoking. Didn't have that cigarette as a crutch anymore so I snacked a lot!

Right now I'm doing the 17 day diet. I'm in cycle 1 which is pretty strict although still healthy (in my opinion). I'm pretty much a rule follower so if my diet says I can't have something, I'm much less likely to eat junk than if I can eat everything "in moderation." For me, once I take the first bite of something delicious (and bad for my diet!) it's all over but the crying. Until I can get my cravings under control, it's better for me to just eliminate my trigger foods.

To minimize hunger pains and the feeling of being deprived, I'm trying to eat plenty of protein and vegetables. The diet I'm on requires two servings of yogurt and fruit a day, and while I didn't enjoy the yogurt at first, I've really started looking forward to this. Actually view it as my "sweet treat." Also, the diet recommends green tea, and I've found that the green tea really seems to satisfy that little nagging feeling of "I want something." I'm even in that TOM and so far so good.

I would try to focus on the good things you did this past week. While you did indulge in the Cinnamon Chai drinks (are these bad? I've never had one!), you avoided the chocolate that you once would have eaten. That's still progress!

Hopefully someone else will provide some additional tips and inspiration. I'm pretty much a newbie here so I'm still learning as well.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    So sorry you're having a bad time of it. I don't have any great words of wisdom. I emotional and stress drink, not so much eat, but it turns out basically the same - a lot of calories!!! I just really try to take a breather and focus on my goals. Give myself a timeout and ask myself if this decision or that will help me reach my goals or keep me from them. I can't say it always works but sometimes it does and that's better than nothing.

Hope this week goes better for you! When you're feeling emotional try taking a little mental break and thinking about how good it will feel if you get through and stick to your plan.

Oh, and if possible I workout until I feel like I'm going to die. Not sure I'd recommend that but it works for me. :ohwell:
  • maureli
    maureli Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I really hope that things turn around for you and start looking up. I don't know if I am an emotional eater...my main problem with eating is the after supper period...when I'm bored or watching tv. I don't know if that is considered emotional? When I am upset I often can't eat...when my boys went off to University I lost 7 lbs in a very short time.

I really wish I had some good advice to offer you! The only thing I can say is that when you are feeling like you are going to eat....do something else. (if it were only THAT easy) In the evenings I try to stay a bit busy so I'm not thinking about snacking.

I know this is probably not a big help, but we are here if you need to vent out your frustrations :)
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone in this. For some reason I've completely lost the plot these past few days. My hormones were to blame initially (I always get bad sugar cravings at that time of the month) but I can't seem to get myself out of it. Normally its lasts a day or two then I'm right back on track. Was really hoping I'd hit the stone mark by the end of the month too :angry: