Staying on track is a challenge!

Options
GrokRockStar
GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
I know I’m not alone in this, but I’ve been working harder than normal to stay abstinent these past couple of days. It’s almost like my binge foods have been calling me, louder than usual. I know when things are hectic and stressful that it gets worse. I really need to take care of my spirit today and reach out to you fellow OAers. I also need to hit a meeting sometime today, even if it’s an online or phone meeting. My food is planned, and I have turned my menu over to someone else, which is one less thing to worry about. My biggest issue/hurdle is working out. I hate to exercise, but I know it will make me feel better, lower my blood sugar, and help tip the scale in my favor. Thanks for "listening" to my rant, I just had to get it out.

I hope everyone is able to have an abstinent day today!

Replies

• blackthrux
    blackthrux Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hey GrokRockStar, I hope that you are finding it easier now that you've put your struggles "out there" for the universe to acknowledge. If you need to reach out to a fellow OA'er more directly, feel free to send a message. I may not have "answers" for you, but I'd be happy to listen and support you through the day.

Hugs
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Awe, thanks blackthrux for reaching out (I sent you a PM)! I've just been having one of those days, twice in a row! I tuned into a meeting podcast a little while ago, and the speaker I clicked on (not paying much attention) happened to be my old sponsor who had passed a couple of years ago. She had over 30 years of abstinence and I remember putting her on this pedestal because of how she spoke and her service work, but I never got to hear her full story. Yay, I finally got to hear her story and it was similar to mine and the rest of us COEs with the same issues and struggles. It's funny how the universe places you exactly where you need to be.

Thanks for the Hugs!!
  • brilliantcoe
    brilliantcoe Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My Action Plan includes exercise and committing and recording my meals. This is really helpful to me. Have you ever listened to the Workshop "The ABCs of Abstinence" by Cheri M? I find that so useful.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    My Action Plan includes exercise and committing and recording my meals. This is really helpful to me. Have you ever listened to the Workshop "The ABCs of Abstinence" by Cheri M? I find that so useful.

I haven’t listened to the ABCs of abstinence, but I’ll give it a try. I’m up for anything to help me along. My food is in check, my struggle is the exercise. I went for a walk yesterday, and will go out again today. Baby steps!
  • brilliantcoe
    Options
    I have chronic pain from an accident 3 years ago and need to move everyday or it increases. When I first started exercising coming back from relapse it was a mile in 30 minutes. The other day I clocked a mile in 13:28! I walk 3 to 4 miles four times a week. It is less than a hour and I listen to podcasts when I do it. I live in Arizona where it is 110 degrees. There are a million excuses for me to not exercise, but somehow my HP gets me out of bed walking in the morning. This program works!
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    I have chronic pain from an accident 3 years ago and need to move everyday or it increases. When I first started exercising coming back from relapse it was a mile in 30 minutes. The other day I clocked a mile in 13:28! I walk 3 to 4 miles four times a week. It is less than a hour and I listen to podcasts when I do it. I live in Arizona where it is 110 degrees. There are a million excuses for me to not exercise, but somehow my HP gets me out of bed walking in the morning. This program works!

13:28 is awesome time!! I live in southern Cali so there is no excuse for me to get up and out. I'm meeting my hubby at the gym after work (he goes daily), but I plan on keeping it simple, 30 min walk, then some weights. Thanks for the motivation!
  • MichelleOnWheels
    MichelleOnWheels Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    That is such a good reminder that exercise is not just about weight or 'health' but can actually bring physical healing or improvement in other ways. I really appreciate reading your post this morning. Thank you.
  • MichelleOnWheels
    MichelleOnWheels Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have been logging my food for over 600 days (in a row!) and this last week I have been over my goal for most days. Today is my first day of summer break and I'm not sure if that is good or bad. I have sent in my action plan (which for me is just page 86, written down) and am hopeful that it all goes well. The last few weeks I have incorporated too much processed foods into my diet, and I'm finding it hard to get back to more whole foods...I seem unwilling to make the effort every day. I am going to work on putting those healthier, less lazy, habits back in place.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    I have been logging my food for over 600 days (in a row!) and this last week I have been over my goal for most days. Today is my first day of summer break and I'm not sure if that is good or bad. I have sent in my action plan (which for me is just page 86, written down) and am hopeful that it all goes well. The last few weeks I have incorporated too much processed foods into my diet, and I'm finding it hard to get back to more whole foods...I seem unwilling to make the effort every day. I am going to work on putting those healthier, less lazy, habits back in place.

Wow, 600 days of logging is a comittment in itself! We will always be faced with our food choices and it will never go away. For me it's a daily thought process and planning. It sounds like you know what you need to do and as long as you recognize what's holding you back, and address it, then you will be fine. It's about progress, not perfection, just one day at a time!
  • kateos1980
    kateos1980 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The last few weeks I have incorporated too much processed foods into my diet, and I'm finding it hard to get back to more whole foods...I seem unwilling to make the effort every day. I am going to work on putting those healthier, less lazy, habits back in place.

The processed food trap is such a challenge for me (and many others I am sure). Its so easy to just grab something from the cupboard. This is a good reminder for me to do some planning and pack some healthy snacks for todays loooong car trip. Let's all have a healthy, less processed day!
  • brilliantcoe
    Options
    I was out of town for business a few weeks back - 4 days of 10 hour client "summit" meetings. Client, a large healthcare company, provided our lunches and snacks. Since I didn't know what I was in for, I packed Quest bars just in case and it was a good thing! I had heartier breakfasts and dinners because lunches were pizza and pasta and snacks were cookies, cakes and candy. All things I abstain from. Did I mention they are a HEALTHCARE COMPANY? Anyway, my abstinence remained in tact, no one cared that I wasn't eating the same thing as they were for lunch and I never fell asleep in a meeting! I am traveling on Friday and will take some bars with me. I also like El Pollo Loco for fast food if I am on the road - they have gluten free under 500 calorie options that are delicious and satisfying.
  • blackthrux
    Options
    I've not heard of El Pollo Loco before, they must not be in Minnesota. Are they located in Texas and/or Arizona by chance? I'll be traveling there next week, and that sounds like it might be a really good option.
  • brilliantcoe
    Options
    I am in Phoenix, Arizona and I used to live in both Northern and Southern California - they are in all three areas. I just googled them and per wikipedia, the El Pollo Loco chain operates nearly 400 company-owned and franchised restaurants in Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Texas, and California so you are in luck!

Here is the website http://www.elpolloloco.com

When I was first abstinent I ate there all the time and I know many OAs do because it is really easy - they do all the cooking and portion control - as long as we order the appropriate foods!

Also, if you are in Phoenix and/or Scottsdale we have at least two OA meetings here each day.
  • blackthrux
    Options
    That's great to know about the meetings. I'll be staying in Scottsdale, and will look up info for the meetings so I know when/where before getting there! It's great to hear about places that work for other OA'ers, helps make staying on track just a little bit less of a challenge!