Can one eat too many kale chips?

Options
Hey Everyone!

Can one eat too many kale chips?? They are so damn good! I bake mine in the oven at 350 only AFTER gently massaging them with coconut oil and sprinkling them with a pinch of sea salt.

Do you guys like kale chips? How do you make yours?

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Since you make them yourself with all the good stuff, I don't think there is such a thing as too many kale chips. However, I don't seem to like them enough to go crazy with them.

My child LOVES kale chips but I have no access to kale locally. I have to fly kale in from another community. It's ridiculous and means that kale chips are a rare treat indeed.

I bake mine on lower heat, for longer and I have been using olive oil, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, and garlic powder. I'm thinking I'll try them with coconut oil or bacon grease next time.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Anything coconut and kale...never enough!
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    The real answer is: one can eat too much of ANYthing.

How much is TOO much? The answer is "dunno" and "that depends".

Kale is a vegetable that is high in potassium and has a decent amount of oxalates. If one is prone to hyperthyroidism or hyperkalemia, one may need to limit the amount of kale they consume. So I'd suggest that as long as you are eating a wide variety of veggies, you probably aren't eating too much kale. If you are eating nothing but kale, you need to branch out.

Articles:

http://nyulocal.com/entertainment/2014/01/29/what-doesnt-kale-you-how-much-kale-is-too-much/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/549791-dangers-of-juicing-with-too-much-kale/
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Kale chips make me wish I wasn't one of those people who can taste the bitter compounds in foods. I always hear everyone raving about them, but even raw kale tastes bitter to me, and while I kind of liked the kale chips I made, I couldn't get past the bitterness enough to eat very much. :sad:

(And yes, it's the bitter compounds in the foods themselves. I can't taste the difference between types of coffee unless I make it into Primal Egg Coffee, which has something in it that neutralizes the bitter compounds, but I'm not sure what. Otherwise, all I taste is bitterness.)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Kale chips make me wish I wasn't one of those people who can taste the bitter compounds in foods. I always hear everyone raving about them, but even raw kale tastes bitter to me, and while I kind of liked the kale chips I made, I couldn't get past the bitterness enough to eat very much. :sad:

(And yes, it's the bitter compounds in the foods themselves. I can't taste the difference between types of coffee unless I make it into Primal Egg Coffee, which has something in it that neutralizes the bitter compounds, but I'm not sure what. Otherwise, all I taste is bitterness.)

I know the bitterness you are talking about. I used to HATE bitter. Could never eat a grapefruit, hated the bitter greens, always had to sweeten coffee etc. Strangely, since becoming ketogenic Primal/Paleo I not only love bitter flavour (and find grapefruits super sweet) but actually find myself craving it at times. I've had to slay my need for sweet before I ever experienced tasting beyond the bitter and enjoying the bitter.

@Monkeydharma: you are absolutely correct that there is such a thing as too much of anything but it's hard for me to imagine being able to eat enough greens as for it to be detrimental but I have zero tendency to over-eat any vegetable. Only starches and sugar.
  • NahrasWay
    NahrasWay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I finally made a batch of Kale chips that I didn't burn a few weeks ago, but then realized I forgot to flavor them >.< .. They were okay, but I did get that bitterness thing going on which for me was hard to get past but it made me not eat all of them and my boyfriend actually was able to have some lol. He really liked them though but he really loves bitter stuff. I agree with the above that you can overeat on anything but I think it would be hard to overeat on Kale chips. Especially if that was the only time you are eating Kale (I still have a hard time with it raw).
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    For whatever reason I love kale, I can eat it raw or cooked, in smoothies, whatever...but I'm not a huge fan of kale chips. I've had some that I liked alright...normally for a salty snack I would rather have some nuts. Kale chips need to be REALLY crunchy for me to go near them.
  • christygb
    christygb Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    LOVE kale chips! I make them i the microwave and they turn out perfectly and quickly. Just oil, salt and spread them in a single layer on a plate. Microwave for 3 minutes and they are perfect. Here's a helpful video:
    http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/super-quick-video-tips/2013/10/how-to-make-kale-chips-in-the-microwave-video/
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have made kale chips pretty frequently, they aren't always bitter. Once I made htem and they actually hurt my teeth. I have no idea what that was about, other than I let the kale sit too long before making them. Now? I love them.