Really struggling

Options
2»

Replies

• CaeDeeAstin
    CaeDeeAstin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just want to say THANK YOU! This post is so helpful, I'm gearing up for surgery and I'm taking notes. I really appreciate all the support.
  • pookeyism
    pookeyism Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    From my experience (VSG January 2012) Water was most important, and after that protein. Some people never make the goals that are set for you, but still try. The thought that we cannot drink another drink, or consume another soft meal, is mostly in our heads at this point. We are suffering from just another part of the same mentality that was a part of gaining the weight. "It's too hard" - no, its not - its REALLY hard, but it is not too hard. Do what you can. One sip is more than if you didn't take that sip. That follows into "yay, I drank an ounce" and it builds up.

Consider a powder like Unjury, and mix it with the HEB brand milk Mootopia - 25% less sugar, 50% more protein than regular milk. 8 oz of Mootopia, 11/2 scoops of Unjury. So in that mix is 42g protein. It's going to be thick but here is the trick - blend it in small (really small) portions with ice cubes, and sip/crunch at the same time - the ice melts so you don't swallow a solid, but you get a chewing sensation that will help your appetite to accommodate the mixture. I cannot guarantee this will help, but it did for me.
    Good luck!
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hello...I think there are a lot of good suggestions here....
    BUT,

Can you please pick up the phone and call your clinic's bariatric nurse to get their advice too?
    (if you have not already done so....please call them, they want to help and help you succeed.)

Also, may I suggest: Re-review the materials they must have given you and try your hardest to follow them to the letter. I know it's hard but you have to follow the instructions to be successful.
    I had my surgery 5/12/14. Good luck.
  • nkac1980
    nkac1980 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery June 2-7days ago. My surgeon nor nutritionist have even mentioned protein to me. I just began my full liquids this week which is anything that turns to liquid at room temp. I struggle with feeling like I'm starving to death all the time. I have been juicing vegetables which seems to help .
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery June 2-7days ago. My surgeon nor nutritionist have even mentioned protein to me. I just began my full liquids this week which is anything that turns to liquid at room temp. I struggle with feeling like I'm starving to death all the time. I have been juicing vegetables which seems to help .

Try some protein shakes or protein fortified milk and see if that fills you up. I drink Kroger carbmaster skim milk all day long and never get hungry.
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    My surgery isn't for a few months but from what I've learned in my program protein should make up the bulk of your diet eventually after you heal. That is the goal anyway but of course it will take time to build up to that and go through the different stages of food consistency.
    There are a lot of protein shakes available. I am surprised that your Bariatric Team did not inform you about the importance of protein, especially early on in liquid form. It's very important to call them and tell them how hungry you are feeling. Let them know you weren't aware of the importance of protein.
    Many of the protein shakes like Premier Protein have 30 grams of protein. That seems to be a very popular one.
    But you need to speak with someone on your Bariatric Team as soon as possible so they can tell you how you can consume protein in liquid form.
    I hope this helps.
    Please keep us posted and let us know how you are doing ok? :smile:
  • priceless97
    priceless97 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    75 is absolutely realistic from the first week on. www.theisopurecompany.com

20oz of fluid, 40 g clear protein. Various flavors, tastes like a Jolly Rancher. Sip on a bottle all day and get your fluid and protein in one shot. I used two bottles per day during the first month, then dropped to one per day as my food intake increased. Now with summer approaching I will start drinking a bottle a day to help keep hydrated while maintaining protein intake.

Which flavors do you like? I tried the orange one and I almost gagged that it tastes so awful. I was so sad too because I was expecting that to get me to my max for each day but it just tasted awful.
  • paul87920
    paul87920 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    First off, thank you all. There are so many of you here to reply to.

DJRonnieLINY - I remember drinking Isopure when I was going to the gym before surgery. I do recall liking the fruit punch flavor. Thanks for the suggestion and reminder.

Mangopickle - You said something that really resonated with me. I really am mentally revolting at eating what I don’t want. It’s so weird, but it’s such an interesting and honest take on the problem.

bikrchk - My doctor, nurse, and nutritionist also informed me that adding protein powder to hot liquids can in fact render the protein useless, so it’s interesting that you brought that up.

Harm0706 - I love Carnation Breakfast Essentials!!! I lived on that during full liquids.

relentless212 - Thank you. I do plan on keeping all of you informed.

capecodgirl50 - I did end up talking to my doctor at my one month appointment yesterday. I will definitely friend you, and I hope your recovery hurdles soon disappear.

dcc56 - I did end up talking to them. It’s cool though, we had our surgeries a day apart!

Secondly, I’d like to give you all a bit of a more detailed update.

I saw my surgeon yesterday for my one month follow-up. 58 pounds down. My protein intake has improved 10 fold since moving into the soft proteins. Cheese, fish, shrimp, eggs…

He told me that I was doing a good job and that the protein is vital because as some of you said, the lack of it will stall weight loss. He also went on to say that it’s critical right now because after about 6-8 months in, your weight loss stalls if not ends all together.

Dispute what he said, if you will, but the thought of a permanent 6-8 month freeze to my progress was the kick in the *kitten* that I needed to follow all of the rules and make this work.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I hit that stall at 9 months out. It lasted 4 months and since then my weight loss has continued but is very slow. It's frustrating, so if you can avoid it, do everything you can to avoid it. :smile:
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Great news, Paul! Keep it up! :happy: