Using TDEE method and marathon training

Options
bingo_jenn
bingo_jenn Posts: 63 Member
I'm looking at changing things up while I build up mileage for NYCM in November. I like the idea of doing TDEE-15/20% so it's not such a drastic change on non-run days.

Right now, I run 5 days a week, any where from 3-10 miles at a time (30min to 2 hours). I'm just concerned about energy on long run days if I'm eating less than I normally would if I did a lower calorie daily limit and added in exercise.

Anyone have any insights or experience on using TDEE while training?

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I did this during training for my last marathon. However I did eat more on the long run day. It worked pretty well for me overall. And hey, I'm doing NYC in November too!!
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    For me TDEE and training for a half just did not work. The day after a long run I was utterly wiped out, hangry or would just overeat drastically. At the time I was doing TDEE-20% and probably 45% carbs. Generally during the week I'm pretty sedentary (desk job, 45-90 minute workout depending on day) and on the weekends rather active.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm currently kinda doing both, if that makes sense.

I have my MFP calories set to 1400, which puts me at about 1/2 pound loss a week. And I count my exercise calories. BUT, I also know that my TDEE is around 1800 to lose 1/2 pound a week. I keep an eye on both things. So, at the end of the day, I try to be around 1800, which also usually has me just under my calorie goal of 1400 with exercise added in. And on rest days (2 per week for me usually), I don't worry too much about going over, so long as I'm not over 1800 very often.

This is working out for me. I feel good and I'm getting close to where I like to be weight wise.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I am not training for a marathon but I love the TDEE method. I feel better fueled for my runs and rides this way. And I enjoy knowing how much I can eat every day.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I switched to TDEE in April and love it. I do 2600cals/day and it's usually more than I can eat, and I'm always adequately fueled.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    That's typically what I do, but sometimes I find myself eating way less on days when mileage climbs above 15 mi. If you're going to do TDEE I highly suggest your carb level is at least 50% because your body will need it. I take mine down to 45% when I'm not marathon training running only 130ish mi a month along with strength training and I'm fine. During marathon training however, it doesn't work.

I'm running the NYC marathon too.
  • bingo_jenn
    Options
    Yay for NYCM!!

I think I'll give it a shot. It's hard to eat so little on non-run days, and so much on run days! My hunger from long runs almost always comes the day after anyway. I also want to try to get away from the mindset of "You ran today! Eat what you want!" and get to eating when I'm truly hungry. :)

Thanks for your input, guys!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I've been following TDEE for quite some time (although when I was trying to do a bit of a cut I switched methods) and I have always felt well fueled and ready for all my runs, and I seem to recover quickly.
  • bingo_jenn
    Options
    One more question for those who have used it: Do you enter in 5 days a week moderate or intense as the activity level? I was using IIFYM.com to calculate.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I was struggling with how many calories I should actually be taking in, and had looked at the TDEE method. I am a numbers gal and like to have things as precise as possible, so I had my RMR tested recently. My RMR is 1442, meaning, if I do nothing all day, that's the amount of calories I will need to eat. They recommended I add 20, 30 or 40% to this number depending on my activity level. I have decided to add the applicable percentage based on my activity for the day. You could also do it as an average. I had this tested at the university and am pretty confident in the numbers provided. Since I've made this change, I've seen some positive changes. Off course, if you are looking to lose weight, then you would subtract calories based on how much you are looking to lose and how long you are allotting for the loss. I do this after I factor in my activity level.

A PP mentioned being really hungry the day after the long run. Research suggests eating a 4:1 or 3:1 carb/protein snack within 30 minutes of your activity. Doing this is supposed to help ward off the hunger later in the day or the next day. This 30 minute window is when the body is most ready to accept the vitamins and nutrients you're giving it, and putting them to good use for cell rebuilding and recovery.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I tried using TDEE a few months ago but noticed the scale started to sneak up a little each week. I switched back to the MFP method and got back to race weight. I would like to be able to use TDEE just because rest days SUCK using the traditional method each day.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I tried using TDEE a few months ago but noticed the scale started to sneak up a little each week. I switched back to the MFP method and got back to race weight. I would like to be able to use TDEE just because rest days SUCK using the traditional method each day.

I haven't weighed myself in over a month. And I'm very curious.