Rest Days

Options
Hi!!!

I joined a boxing gym within the last week to get some more variety. I am burning a lot more calories than before and am working out much harder. Previously I didn't think much about rest days and would just take the day off when I couldn't squeeze in a workout. My last rest day was June 3rd. Today after a nap I woke up feeling sore and know working out hard tonight is probably not the best idea. Just curious about how often I should schedule a rest day??? Also, does a rest day mean no working out at all, or can you do an easy swim or elliptical workout?? Thank you in advance!!

Replies

• JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body, sometimes that's hard to do when your mind is telling you to GO, GO, GO!!!!!.....I am taking a forced few days off this week because I failed to heed this advice and now my shoulder is jacked up. Better to live to fight another day.....I don't plan my days off, I take them when my body refuses to go any more.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hi!!!

I joined a boxing gym within the last week to get some more variety. I am burning a lot more calories than before and am working out much harder. Previously I didn't think much about rest days and would just take the day off when I couldn't squeeze in a workout. My last rest day was June 3rd. Today after a nap I woke up feeling sore and know working out hard tonight is probably not the best idea. Just curious about how often I should schedule a rest day??? Also, does a rest day mean no working out at all, or can you do an easy swim or elliptical workout?? Thank you in advance!!

Most good programs will have rest days or even extended periods of rest built into them. It's really hard to give you a specific number of rest days because that's dependent on quite a few variables. If you feel like you need to rest, you should rest.

A casual swim or going for a walk would constitute rest or active rest in my opinion.
  • CrescentCityGirl
    CrescentCityGirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!