Intro and beginner lifting question

Options
Swiftdogs
Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
I've done a preliminary skim of the pinned material - thank you! Intro: 55 year old female, 5'9", 127 pounds at maintenance, reasonably healthy except for an arthritic hip. There's more blubber that should come off my butt and thighs, but the top looks a bit too much like a coat hanger and two xylophones and I'm close to the lower end of the BMI scale. So, time for weights.

I set New Rules aside after reading it the first time. But since there isn't a NROLFOW (O=old), I pulled it back out and only looked at the first versions of each exercise. There are some I can do (not necessarily well, or the right amount of reps), so I'm hoping to work up to some semblance of a routine.

My question: They are very specific about which exercises have to be done together, and their sequence. How important is that for an absolute beginner? I'm not looking for an optimal workout, just to develop enough strength to attempt some of the other things.

TIA!

Replies

• Swiftdogs
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! I figure form is important, and probably more so at my age.

I'll probably never be able to do all the exercises they list. Plus I don't want to buy a bunch of equipment until I have a feel for what I'll need. So I'm hoping "some" is better than none.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    What exercises does the book suggest?

WIth an arthiritic hip, it may limit squat depth. You could include some hip thrusts (weight or single leg if two leg is easy) to ensure glutes are utilized.

Also, I'd be using conventional deadlift or Romanian if it uses that.

Sequencing isn't overly important IMO. The main thing I believe is to do the most technical compound lifts first when you are fresh and move to any isolation stuff (if applicable) after that. You can't really stuff up a bicep curl compared to how you can stuff up a deadlift :tongue:
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hi swift dogs, there is a NROL4W group here that's pretty active with lots of support.

I'm 50 and just started stage 3, doing a recomp. I'm 5'5" 150# looking to strengthen, burn some fat before doing a shred. Sounds like you lost the weight and now want to strengthen and add muscle back.

New Rules is a pretty good program, they've thought of 90% of everything. Program is a little weak on core stuff, but it lasts 6 months and there are other new rules programs to move towards when you're done.
  • Swiftdogs
    Options
    Thanks for the input! So far the hip hasn't complained about bodyweight squats. (Quads are another story, but they've been told to shut up. :wink: ) What it doesn't like is twisting or lateral stress. So I should be able to do most things from a squared-up position.

I should also mention that I'm a total klutz. NR includes some things balanced on a ball that would be a guaranteed faceplant for me. I'll check out that group for ideas for modifications.

In Stage 1 they call for alternating two programs every other day. I can only do some from each list, so I'm doing what I can until I can add others. Currently that's 2 30-second planks with a 30 second rest, plus 3 sets each of:

7 squats - bodyweight
    10 shoulder presses - 10# dumbbells
    10 step-ups - low step, bodyweight
    10 push ups - counter height

I need some heavier weights to try deadlifts and bent over rows. I've already figured out it's best to do the hard stuff first :smile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Couple of suggestions to add to your routine if you want to swap-out some of the ones included in NROL.

- bulgarian split squats (rear leg elevated) - you do these 'square' and as you do not move your legs like you do with lunges it is generally easier on the knees (hell on the quads though) - random vid here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CvEs-TOIKM
    - bent over lateral raises - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1mPicAs1Hs (ignore the fact that he used the term 'tone up' please)

I am not a fan of all the balancing exercises that many of these types of programs include.
  • Swiftdogs
    Options
    Thank you! I think I can do the lateral raises now, if I get out the doorstops (aka 3# dumbbells). The Bulgarian split squats look like a better alternative to lunges for me, since I tend to fall over. That will go on my "work up to" list.
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi Swiftdogs, I read your post and replies with interest. Way to go on the lifting! I am 53, and just finishing up physical therapy for lower back, I have arthritis in the SI region and joints.

As a note on the planks: PT has me doing them, great for core, but recommends 30 seconds and break, then repeat. Longer than that (minute or more) is more liable to kick up inflammation in lower back or hip joints if you already have something going on there. You'll still get the benefit even if you don't work up to the long ones.
  • Ari112233
    Ari112233 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    They DO have a NROL for Life which is for older or less able people. I am 54 and doing the women version now but may switch if I need to

I've done a preliminary skim of the pinned material - thank you! Intro: 55 year old female, 5'9", 127 pounds at maintenance, reasonably healthy except for an arthritic hip. There's more blubber that should come off my butt and thighs, but the top looks a bit too much like a coat hanger and two xylophones and I'm close to the lower end of the BMI scale. So, time for weights.

I set New Rules aside after reading it the first time. But since there isn't a NROLFOW (O=old), I pulled it back out and only looked at the first versions of each exercise. There are some I can do (not necessarily well, or the right amount of reps), so I'm hoping to work up to some semblance of a routine.

My question: They are very specific about which exercises have to be done together, and their sequence. How important is that for an absolute beginner? I'm not looking for an optimal workout, just to develop enough strength to attempt some of the other things.

TIA!