Face to Face Support Meetings

Options
I am exploring the possibility of attending a face to face support meeting. I actually drove to one tonight but ended up not going in - I drove to a Food Addicts meeting and sat in the parking lot. I choose not to go in., I just felt stubborn and choose not to go in. I didn’t want to get wet because I didn’t have an umbrella while wandering around the church -- I had no umbrella. That’s a silly reason -- but maybe next time it will be dry.

Any one else with experiences at support meetings?

Replies

• danielletogether4health
    Options
    "Food has become our God, our Higher Power. It is larger than us, more powerful than us, and it can transform us. It is time to fire that Higher Power and begin to allow Food to just be food and not your god."

Beck, Meryl Hershey (2012-04-01). Stop Eating Your Heart Out: The 21-Day Program to Free Yourself from Emotional Eating (pp. 60-61). Red Wheel Weiser. Kindle Edition.

I really like this book - she has clearly been there. Any other inspirational books to recommend?
  • kateos1980
    kateos1980 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a good book.
    Options
    So far I am really liking this book. I'm going to try to post here as I work through the days.

For many, a quick prayer when the food is beckoning (“ Please, God, keep me out of the kitchen”) has prevented a binge from happening.

Beck, Meryl Hershey (2012-04-01). Stop Eating Your Heart Out: The 21-Day Program to Free Yourself from Emotional Eating (p. 62). Red Wheel Weiser. Kindle Edition.

I grew up Catholic but haven't been practicing in years. I do try to connect on a spiritual level (at times) --- right now I am practicing meditation about 10 minutes each morning. What spiritual practices help you to stay out of the kitchen?
  • kateos1980
    kateos1980 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was baptised in the catholic church but raised in the united church. I realize it is the same religion, just celebrated differently. I don't actively attend, but I have faith in my God. I can't say that I use any spiritual practices to keep me out of the kitchen. However, I have dealt with anxiety issues for most of my teenage/adult life and would have to say that I use some of those tactics to help me out. Probably similar to meditation. Deep breathing, visualization, etc.

I have been trying hard to keep my water intake up. I find that has been the most helpful thing in curbing my appetite, and as a bonus, have not been having as many headaches!
    Options
    I also keep working on breath. Something so basic yet powerful. Same on water

Today's exercise is creative visualization - imagine being free of emotional eating. See it, hear it, taste it, smell it, touch it. Then encase it in a pink bubble and let it float up saying this or something better.

I visualize being free of a huge chain, feeling emotionally lighter
    Options
    Day 10 assignment is EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques). It involves simple taps on specific acupuncture points. A little more way out there then writing in a food journal - but I am open to trying anything. I am going to try to remember to do this the next time I am processing a big feeling that is making me run for food.

Beck, Meryl Hershey (2012-04-01). Stop Eating Your Heart Out: The 21-Day Program to Free Yourself from Emotional Eating (p. 84). Red Wheel Weiser. Kindle Edition.

See the website http://www.emofree.com/eft-tutorial/tapping-basics/how-to-do-eft.html for the material Meryl covers on this assignment.

I would love to hear from anyone’s experiences with this energy technique. Post, Friend or message.
    Options
    Day 11 Rapidly integrated Transformation Technique (RITT) – this is a variation on yesterday’s tapping technique. I’m sitting in my family room with my daughter right now and am way too embarrassed to try doing this in front of anyone. It seems like this has some potential try out when a very intense craving pops out of nowhere.

Beck, Meryl Hershey (2012-04-01). Stop Eating Your Heart Out: The 21-Day Program to Free Yourself from Emotional Eating (p. 91). Red Wheel Weiser. Kindle Edition.
    Options
    Day 12 - Personal energy work begins with monitoring your energy and discovering your energizers and drains. Write out a list of energizers and one of drains, and include whatever gives or depletes your energy.

Beck, Meryl Hershey (2012-04-01). Stop Eating Your Heart Out: The 21-Day Program to Free Yourself from Emotional Eating (p. 110). Red Wheel Weiser. Kindle Edition.

Will work on this later this week...
    Options
    Energizers
    • Petting my dog
    • Deep breathing
    • My kids
    • Getting positive comments on MFP
    • Self Care in all shapes and forms (from mani/pedi to meditation)

Drains
    • Long commutes (even If I am in the passenger seat)
    • Being around energy vampires --- people who talk way too much without taking a pause
    • Binges of any type (Food, TV, computer games)
    • Too much clutter around my house or office
    • Not taking care of myself
    Options
    I continue to work my way through the exercises in the book Stop Eating Your Heart Out: The 21-Day Program to Free Yourself from Emotional Eating - Way too much to do in 21 days -- but again I didn't get to my current weight in 21 days either.

I have spent some time this weekend doing the Right-Hand/ Left-Hand Dialogue with my inner child Dani. She had lots to say.

I also did the pink balloon exercise - I got a pick balloon - wrote all of my vision images all over it and let it go. I sent it up into the air, watched it float up into the Universe, where it is now attracting energy for manifestation.:flowerforyou:
    Options
    It continues to go well, I have a multi week streak going. Today I tried Rapidly integrated Transformation Technique (RITT) - it involves tapping on about a dozen places on your body and saying affirmations out load. I'm keeping an open mind. I just did the steps and at least my body seems a bit more awake. I think these energy work techniques are tools to short circuit the urges. Of course I need to remember to use them if I get overwelmed!

Beck, Meryl Hershey (2012-04-01). Stop Eating Your Heart Out: The 21-Day Program to Free Yourself from Emotional Eating (p. 91). Red Wheel Weiser. Kindle Edition.