Anyone on Synthroid? Share some tips?

Options
VelveteenArabian
VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
Hi all,

Is anyone on Synthroid or had success with it?

I've only been on it for about 2 weeks, so I know it will be at least another month before it starts doing whatever it's going to do and who knows how much after that before I notice if anything is going to happen.

I'm VERY active and continued to gain weight, even eating 1200 cals a day. Dropping lower than that made me dizzy and nauseous, so I'm hoping my magic number isn't below that! As is, 1200 is really hard!! I'm fairly stable now but I'm hoping to start shedding pounds.

I have gained weight on the following diet plans:
- Weight Watchers
- Jenny Craig
- Nutrisystem
- low carb
- high protein/low carb
- low sugar
- gluten free

I've been at this for years. Everything was attempted for 2-3 months before I gave up.

So...any info on Synthroid or just tips in general would be great!

Replies

• KayJaMikel
    KayJaMikel Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Well. Hi. I have hashimoto's diagnosed in 1994. I have been on Synthroid since then of varying doses. I honestly do not feel any better on it, although if I stop taking it all together, let's say I run out, after a while, I'd say about 2 weeks, I cannot get out of bed.

As for body issues, I am heavier now than ever. I blame that on surgery I had 3 years ago but I am sure my thyroid plays a role. I never have any energy, I could sleep all day every day, and if not sleeping, going outside, ME, no way no how. I am a lump on a log. I have horrible back pain when standing upright/walking/really doing anything, but sitting or laying, too so probably why I don’t want to do or go anywhere.

I do not follow up with doctor's all that much, but in my experience, I have been pretty much on the same dose of Synthroid since 1994, with very few changes. So, for me it's a huge waste of time going in for blood work. I just order like a year's supply online whenever I run out.

I don't know. Really do not think the Synthroid manages weight very well, just keeps your other symptoms in check, but I don’t even think it works too well for that. I only continue taking it because I have gotten so low on my tores of thyroid in my body I was near a coma at one point. You can actually go into something called myxedema coma, so do not want to risk that.

What is myxedema coma?

Myxedema coma is a loss of brain function as a result of severe, longstanding low level of thyroid hormone in the blood (hypothyroidism). Myxedema coma is considered a life-threatening complication of hypothyroidism and represents the far more serious side of the spectrum of thyroid disease.

http://www.medicinenet.com/myxedema_coma/article.htm
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I've been on Synthroid for almost 2 years. Take it on an empty stomach (at least 2 hours after eating or drinking anything but water) with a full glass of water. Wait one hour before eating or drinking anything but water, and wait at least 3 more hours before taking any supplements (vitamins, minerals, or fiber).

If you're not losing weight, you're not eating at a deficit. You're underestimating your food &/or overestimating your burns. Get a digital food scale and weigh everything you eat. Use measuring cups & spoons for any liquid that has calories—including whatever white stuff you put in your coffee or tea.

I gained a lot of weight before I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. Once I started logging everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly, I found out why. I was eating too much. I am hungry all the time, even though I take both Synthroid (T4) & Cytomel (T3). I find that using MFP's protein & fiber goals as minimums and ignoring carbs & fats helps me feel full longer. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.
  • jenabugg
    jenabugg Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've been on synthroid for 19 years, currently a dose of 250 mcg. Synthroid has never helped me lose weight, but it has helped me feel like a normal human. I have always had some heart palpitations while on the medicine but nothing major. As of last December, my doctor added a new medicine that is targeted at the T3 hormone instead along with my synthroid due to years of struggling to get my thyroid under control. It has made a huge difference.

I have also tried losing weight at a calorie deficit to no avail for years...and years. Finally, last December, I started doing low carb (not Atkins or anything, just keeping my carbs around 50g a day). I wanted to cry when I saw the scale finally moving...in the right direction. I also have PCOS, so that might have added to my struggles with weight loss. I've been working hard at this new plan for almost 6 months with success. I think you just need to find what works for you.
  • VelveteenArabian
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I've only been on it for a couple of weeks, so I don't expect to see miracles or much of anything just yet.
  • VelveteenArabian
    Options
    I've been on Synthroid for almost 2 years. Take it on an empty stomach (at least 2 hours after eating or drinking anything but water) with a full glass of water. Wait one hour before eating or drinking anything but water, and wait at least 3 more hours before taking any supplements (vitamins, minerals, or fiber).

If you're not losing weight, you're not eating at a deficit. You're underestimating your food &/or overestimating your burns. Get a digital food scale and weigh everything you eat. Use measuring cups & spoons for any liquid that has calories—including whatever white stuff you put in your coffee or tea.

I gained a lot of weight before I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. Once I started logging everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly, I found out why. I was eating too much. I am hungry all the time, even though I take both Synthroid (T4) & Cytomel (T3). I find that using MFP's protein & fiber goals as minimums and ignoring carbs & fats helps me feel full longer. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.

Earlier this year I did 1200 calories for 2-3 months straight, weighing and measuring everything. Even figured out the numbers for 3 jelly beans once. I was working out at least an hour a day (for 2 days a week I was active for several hours each day) for 6 days a week and eventually stopped eating back any of my exercise calories....still gained weight.

I don't drink coffee or tea. I have a (diet) soda maybe once a week (no more than 2 glasses in one sitting). I don't eat fast food or pre-packaged meals. There's no snacks or candy in the house.

I am definitely less tired now. I did notice that I feel less hungry now on Synthroid. I take it when I wake up with a big glass of water and I don't feel a twinge of hunger until lunch time, sometimes later.
  • swadepgh
    swadepgh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have had experiences similar to yours. I gained weight while tracking every calorie, working out hard 8-12 hours a week, running marathons, etc.

I have been on Synthroid for just over a month and it does seem to be helping with my symptoms as well as the weight gain. I also take Thytrophin PMG as my doctor says that it addresses the autoimmune aspect of Hashimoto.

I have finally been able to start losing weight. I do have to count calories and exercise a lot but I have been able to lose 3.6 pounds in about 2 weeks time. I wasn't able to lose until after about three weeks on Synthroid. I try for a net of less than 1200 calories a day. I do eat/drink back most of my exercise calories and I usually have a day each week that I don't worry too much about calories.

I hope I can continue to lose and I hope that you can too. :-)
  • walk757
    walk757 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    if synthroid does not work try finding a doctor to give you Armour. I could not handle synthroid.
  • tmlandgraf
    tmlandgraf Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I take my dose of Synthroid before bedtime since there are so many things you have to wait on after taking it. I know by the time I wake up in the morning I can eat when I want, take my vitamins/supplements when I want and not have to worry about waiting x-amount of time since I took my last Synthroid dose.
  • VelveteenArabian
    Options
    I'm down 16 pounds from my last doctor's visit on May 2. Not sure if it's the Synthroid but that's the only thing that's changed. I am not sure this is the right dose for me - I don't feel 100% but I do feel like I'm about 80%. I am significantly less tired throughout the day but I still have moments.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    I'm so pleased for you. It seems finding the right level can take time. Hope you get there soon.
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I think everyone's body is unique - what works for some is different than others. I've only been at this about 9 months - but found I'm incredibly sensitive to the specific brand/manufacturer of my T4 thyroid meds, even though my dose has always been the same 88 mcg.

My 1st attempt was good on generic levothyroxine (by Lannett) , but after a few months my pharmacy switched the brand on me. I had a terrible experience on the Synthroid brand - something in the fillers/inactive ingredients wasn't good for me & I wasn't absorbing the meds. Gained weight, my skin was peeling off, terrible chills... after just 2 weeks on it! So, I found a way to switch back to the generic, and things started to get good again & was able to lose about 8 pounds with proper attention to my eating.

Then... I accidentally mixed up my bottles & took the Synthroid by mistake for 17 days. Thought I was losing my mind, felt so terrible, gained 3 lbs. Realized my mistake & switched back to the generic.

I should have learned my lesson... but then Levoxyl came back on the market & I wanted to try it for some of the reported "quick absorption" properties. My weight was steady but couldn't seem to lose.

So... switched back to the generic levothyroxine (by Lannett) for the 3rd time, it's going well for me now. Have lost the 3 lbs from the Synthroid mistake.

So, here we are in June & I'm just now back to the weight that I was in January. A rather painful experiment in brands of meds!

I'm very active and use TDEE method for 1800 calories a day (don't log/count exercise calories separately because they are already counted in my TDEE). I have about 20 pounds to go.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I was on synthroid and it wasn't enough.

Armour works extremely well for me. I feel human again.

Maybe ask about it, if in time, you feel synthroid isn't working for you?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Your third option is Synthroid (T4) + Cytomel (T3). The human body should convert T4 to T3—but not everybody can.

But some endocrinologists are anti-Armour & anti-Cytomel.
  • Frigs
    Frigs Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I did do 1200 for about 6 months but I had over 80 lbs to loose and I did it mostly so I would get out of the habit of eating. I knoshed all the time mindlessly while working or reading.

I switched to 1450 so I could get all the nutrition and protein in. I have been doing 1450 for about a year now and loose about .5 lb per week when I don't exercise...but usually I do so it is more like 1 lb per week which is a little fast but helps me get through the usual nasty fluctuations which come with weight loss.

If your levels are correct and you are getting proper nutrition ( iron critical for thryroid uptake ) then you should have no problems once you figure out your TDEE and eat at a calorie deficit. If your levels are not correct...then you need to get back to the doctors.

Ditto on the medication without food. Weight loss is not fast, it's slow and takes mental toughness go get through each hurdle whether you are hypothyroid or not. There are so many links people commonly refer to....guide to sexy pants....is one you can search for on the forum. It has a lot of good information. Yes being hypothyroid prior to being treated stacks it on...but as they say after pregnancy...it's all you and up to you to dig deep, dive in...and start a journey that will change your life. It will not be easy. There are no quick fixes.

I will say one problem I recently ran into was the old C ( constipation issue which is common amongst hypothryroid but others have it too...my girlfriend. ) I found if I kept my fiber intake at 30 g daily..no issues. My water intake is usually been 10-12 glasses daily. What a relief..literally. This has made all the difference in the world as I get closer to goal weight. I am in year 3 and expect to take another year....Why so long. Needless to say I had my mental moments and schedule moments that I really gave up. My reaction to the natural fluctuations tended to deter my discipline. I got the withings scale and that has helped ( except that I found my scale was off by 4 pounds in the wrong direction!! No matter.

Looks like you have 55 to go? Totally doable. Establish monthly goals. Set them a little low so that you are aren't disappointed and dettered. I set mine at 2 lbs per month for now...I may be dropping that and establishing more fitness goals.

Welcome to the world of hypothryroid. You may have it but it does not have you. Don't let it be your excuse. Exercise is not optional. Regular visits for level checking is not optional. Water, water, water, fiber, protein...move your bum..