Omlettes

Options
SteamClutch
SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
I know many of you eat them for breakfast and other meals (well I do anyway). Share your favorite Omelette toppings here.

Replies

• smallpalehuman
    smallpalehuman Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    3 eggs beaten with vanilla and cinnamon, topped with sauteed berries and a teeny drizzle of maple :tongue:
  • nickiboop
    nickiboop Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    3 eggs beaten with vanilla and cinnamon, topped with sauteed berries and a teeny drizzle of maple :tongue:

That sounds lovely, going to try tonight!
    I usually stick to cheese and mushrooms
  • LoriCARoberts
    LoriCARoberts Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    3 eggs with green peppers, onions, mushrooms, and a little cheese, salsa, and plain yogurt.
  • s3girl
    s3girl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Usually cheese (seriously sharp Cabot) & Frank's hot sauce.

But, I've also been known to put broccoli, mushrooms, tomatoes, and spinach in the mix.

Oh! And, bacon. (of course :P )
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I've been guilty of throwing everything except the kitchen sink in my omelettes. Sometimes they are good but.... I read that I should just make a scramble instead of destroying an omelette like that.

Last weekend I made a simple omelette fried in butter with only prosciutto. OMG. I am now officially converted to the "less is more" when it comes to omelettes. :wink:
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I like italian omelettes- sun dried tomatoes, lots of garlic and basil, zukes, bells, and plenty of protein.
  • TaliaCarmella
    Options
    Holy crap!! I would have NEVER thought to make sweet omelets... GOING TO TRY IMMEDIATELY!
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I like portabella mushrooms,spinach,pancetta and a really good cheese..a nice goat cheese..oh..and lots of dried chillies.
    I love a proper Spanish omelette ( tortilla de patatas) as well.Really good onions and potatoes cooked in a lot of olive oil and then the eggs..and a lot of them.
    I have a friend from Spain and her tortilla de patatas are the best
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I don't really make omelettes - but I DO make frittatas weekly. I have a basic recipe template that allows for many substitutions...

I put in:

- onions and garlic, chopped (about 1-1.5 cups - I usually have a partial onion in the fridge from previous cooking);
    - about 4 oz of whatever meat is in the fridge, chopped (leftover chicken, sausage, prosciutto, bacon, pork, whatever)
    - one bunch of greens, chopped (kale, chard, spinach,arugula - I've even used beet, turnip, radish and/or carrot greens, if they are organic/non-pesticided)
    - 8 eggs, scrambled
    - 5 to 8 oz of whatever cheese I need to get rid of, grated
    - a sprinkling of chopped olives or sundried tomatoes (or even slices of fresh tomato)

Preheat oven to 350. In a large fry pan, med heat (with a couple tbsp of your favorite fat), sweat the onions, then add the meat to warm/cook, then add the greens and cook until soft. Season to taste. In a second (oven proof) fry pan, melt a tbsp of butter, swirl around to coat the sides. Transfer the contents of the first fry pan to the second one, spread evenly; pour the egg mix over it; add the cheese over the top; sprinkle the condiments if used. Into the oven for approx 30 min - or until the cheese is melted and starting to brown a bit. Pull out, let set for 5 minutes, then cut into four wedges and serve.
  • NahrasWay
    NahrasWay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I read that I should just make a scramble instead of destroying an omelette like that.

I try to make omelettes all the time but I put so much stuff in them it never holds so I just have to do the scramble thing too!

Whenever I make eggs that I have to mix up (scrambled or omelette style) I ALWAYS add hot sauce of some sort into it to spice it up. My usual go to for omelettes (or trying to make an omelette in my case) is bacon or sausage, bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, a couple handfuls of baby spinach, and sometimes chopped up tomato. I haven't ventured into the cheese side of eating primal yet because I feel like it might be something I may over eat on. That being said I used to make omelettes (with much less veggies unfortunately) and added feta and there's just something about feta and eggs that is to die for.
    I don't really make omelettes - but I DO make frittatas weekly.

I'm going to have to try this! I've been dying to try to make a fritatta and we finally got a cast iron skillet so now I just have to do it. Is this something that's better eaten when it's made or is it okay to put away for leftovers through the week?
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I did not expect this kind of response, thanks all. So I throw in my 2 cents. I start with fresh chives or green onions as a base and move on from there but sometimes just herbs like Basil and Oregano in fair amounts is wonderful all by itself with a touch of cheese if it is allowed.
  • nickiboop
    nickiboop Posts: 38 Member
    Options

That sounds lovely, going to try tonight!
    I usually stick to cheese and mushrooms

Tried it, YUMMY! Thanks for the tip????
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Thank you! Everyone else I talk to thinks I'm crazy for putting berries and honey on my omlettes and seasoning them with cinnamon and vanilla. I was eating a bunch of french toast for a while and gradually making it healthier (berries with a bit of honey instead of a ton of syrup, more eggs than normal for extra protein), and one day I was like "I can totally make this without the bread! More protein, more delicious eggs!"

I do have trouble with normal omlettes, though, which was part of the transition. I love veggies, but if I put many of them in an omlette in the morning it makes me feel a little sick :(
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    mmm …..mushrroms and onions with montreal steak spice for some kick!
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    pizza toppings
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    ham and cheese
    peppers, onions, tomatoes and mushrooms
    prosciutto, parmesan and sun dried tomatoes
    gyro meat, feta and red onions with taziki (sp?) on top
    coconut milk, cinnamon and nutmeg
  • smallpalehuman
    smallpalehuman Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Glad you liked it! I always have one when my BF is making pancakes on a Saturday morning :)
  • mandabrett
    mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I typically just fry my eggs (2-3) and eat it over a sweet potato with some coconut oil or butter. It's amazing! It's a good balance of macros too.
  • drmartz55
    drmartz55 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I like to make a simple Spanish style eggs for breakfast- diced tomatoes & green onions sauteed in olive oil or Kerrygold butter, a couple of scrambled eggs, mix in, cover until set or scramble it up, season with s&p serve over a bit of fresh greens or brown rice, top with Sriracha or pico de gallo for a kick.
    This is called Perrico in Colombia, meaning parrot for the colorful appearance.