Carbs/Protein/Fat Ratio: Vegan

Options
swalberg0625
swalberg0625 Posts: 98 Member
So I calculated my BMR/TDEE & Adjusted my macros in accordance with IIFYM

Carbs: 45%
Protein: 40%
Fat: 15%

I think carbs is a good fit but does the protein/ fat ratio seem far fetched for a vegan diet. What ratio are you guys/gals using? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Replies

• FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Do NOT go got a IIFYM diet... Please :(. IIFYM HAS no regard for any other nutrients.... That's like saying you can live off of just pop tarts... because... iFYM

Carbs should always be the most, and protein and fat close to hand and hand or fat over protein...

I try to stick with a 60/25/15. 15 being protein. YES your needs will mostly differ from mine because I am an aggressive style athlete.

Carbs = energy. Workouts rely on instant energy, this is where carbs come in most important and most needed.

Fat = a chain creator. Many nutrients and vitamins NEED fat to unlock their potential just as important as protein needs certain proteins to create amino acid branches... Fat is what keeps hair, nails and skin healthy

Protein = muscle repair...

As a vegan, just eat healthy options and mix up your protein options. We as vegans do not get the 9 essential nutrients that meat eaters get from a single source, so just lentils, or just beans won't cut it. A diverse diet makes for a healthy vegan.

Overall, just make sure you listen to your body... A IIFYM diet to me has no regard for what kind of carb, fat, or protein it is... A IIFYM diet sounds like you can eat mcdonalds all day everyday because... Well... iFYM...

My two cents :)
  • swalberg0625
    swalberg0625 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks form the input. Lots of great information. Appreciate your response! :)
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I'm close to what MagicMike does, 15-18% protein most days, 20-25% fats and the remainder carbs. I'm no where near perfect and a work in progress, but it seems to be working pretty good. I've really started focusing more on strength training, so I'll see if I need to make adjustments as I continue on.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I base mine on Dr. T. Colin Campbell, Esselstyn, Caldwell, etc. suggest - 80/10/10. Now, do I hit those numbers? Hardly. I end up at about 65 carb, 10 protein and 25 fat.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on MFP go a bit overboard on the Protein. Mine are set at 15 protein, 60 Carbs and 25% fat. I run a lot and I have found that around 15% protein seems to make my recovery a bit better (though that could be my imagination;-). That's what I aim for anyway though I never really get to obsessed with them as I just see them as a general guide.
  • rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I think it gets tricky for vegans because some of the foods that we get our protein from, like beans and quinoa, a lot of other people consider carbs. So I just try to eat a balanced clean diet to the best that I can, and just know that vegan diets are going to necessarily be a little bit more carb heavy as compared with others, but that as long as you're mixing up your protein sources you'll be totally fine.
  • danikanoodles
    danikanoodles Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've been following the 80/10/10 percentages. 80% or more from carbs and 10% or less from protein and fat. Been doing that for around 3 years and it's worked wonders.
  • SugarFreeV510
    Options
    I'm following the 80/10/10 as well, although I'm consuming more fat than that. I'm not bothered I just try to do my best because its all healthy. I'm primarily plant based.