WLS and addiction transfer

Options
2»

Replies

• relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Great posts. I'm so glad we have this place to talk and share. Thanks for the new definition from DSM VI. :smile:
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I rarely post to the forum and a dissenting opinion is not an easy post, but I am going to go out on a limb and disagree, at least with the majority of those who have replied.

I do think most of us are addicted to food. By definition, addiction is a condition that results when a person ingests a substance (alcohol, cocaine, nicotine) or engages in an activity (eating) that can be pleasurable but the continued use of which becomes compulsive and interferes with ordinary life responsibilities, such as work or relationships, or HEALTH.

Being morbidly obese impacted my relationships, my job and most certainly my health. I'd bet my next paycheck if answering honestly, most would answer the same.

Food is meant to fuel our bodies, and eating because we don't want to or can't face emotions or because we are lonely, bored, etc. is an unhealthy and addictive behavior.

Do WLS patients transfer the addiction? I don't know, but I can tell you one year post op I still struggle with managing emotional eating (we can still eat the wrong foods, even if in smaller portions). Now when I get stressed, I go work out. It's good for me, but if used to avoid emotion, it is a type of transfer.

None of us became morbidly obese by making healthy choices and we most certainly did not use food as only fuel for our bodies. As such the logical conclusion is we are/were addicted to food. Each of us has our own demons to face and overcome if we will maintain our weight loss well into our futures.

I wish you the very best!!!
    [/quoteI ]

I agree ++++

I have friends who how have had WLS and have new cross additions, 2 have cross addicted to alcohol and 1 to shopping,
  • trinoc
    trinoc Posts: 73
    Options
    Thanks Mangopickle. Last night was my last of 4 "Craving Change" classes that is part of my program.
    We learned the valuable tool of identifying the 3 stages of Hunger: Stomach Hunger, Mouth Hunger and Heart Hunger.
    It was a very valuable strategy to learn in class along with a list of strategies to try when we are have urges.
    Have a great weekend everyone and once again thanks for all of your feedback. :smile:

Oh man, these classes sound amazing. Do you have notes you can share.
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    The Manual was made in Alberta Canada. I guess many Bariatric programs across Canada are using the manual.
    I just did an online search and found that there is a website cravingchange.ca
    I also copied the link of a page on the site that showed what the workbook looks like.

http://www.cravingchange.ca/for-clinicians-managers/resource-catalogue/#a2e

I was required to attend 4 - 2 hour workshops on it. A Dietician and Psychologist who work are part of the team at my Bariatric Program led the group. I also loved the fact that it gave me an opportunity to meet some local people in my city that were on the journey towards surgery. A few of them even had their surgery already. :smile: