Heat/humidity running adjustment chart from RunJunkees

Options
HornedFrogPride
HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
Run Junkees uploaded a very handy heat/humidity running adjustment chart that you might want to check out. I'm bookmarking it for later use. Be safe everybody, adjust your pace/speed/distance/running location if you have to do so!

Link: https://www.facebook.com/RunJunkees/photos/a.114060812035074.20246.113867245387764/630059070435243/?type=1&theater

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Love it!

ETA - that's just about right. Also, I'm thinking about putting a sprinkler in our front yard on run mornings. I can just dive through the sprinkler after each mile.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Lol @ 85*+ not recommended. Yeah I'll just take a 4 month hiatus...☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    While I agree with heat adjusting over 70 and over 60% humidity I think their adjustments are pretty high
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I was lucky enough to run in 74 degrees this morning YAY (Phoenix Girl) and having run my 5k in 105 last week I would say my pace was about 1 minute and 30 seconds slower in the 105 - however I think if I hadn't done my first trail race of over 16 miles Saturday I could have maybe gone a tad faster today. However, not 3 minutes faster....

I also agree with the many people who say it simply isn't reasonable to take off (for some parts of the country) May - October for heat :)
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    It's an interesting chart, but doesn't take sun into account. There is a huge difference between running in full sun/midday vs dawn or dusk, at the same temps.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Acclimation is another thing missing from the chart. Someone from a hot part of the county can tolerate the heat better than someone from colder parts. My ideal running temp is a lot hotter than a couple friends from Canada.
  • SecretAgent27
    SecretAgent27 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    According to this, I should skip running outdoors for the next few months.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    This chart is ridiculous. Apparently I shouldn't run for the next 4 months, or if I do I should slow it down to a walk. :laugh: Not gonna happen.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    It's an interesting chart, but doesn't take sun into account. There is a huge difference between running in full sun/midday vs dawn or dusk, at the same temps.

If you follow the link back

http://www.over40runner.com/info/RunningInTheHeat.html

They actually do take that into consideration.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Relax people, if you think a crazy run-streaker like me is going to tell you to take 4 months off from running, you're wrong! Keep running! It's not set in stone-use it, adjust it, ignore it, create your own chart!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Relax people, if you think a crazy run-streaker like me is going to tell you to take 4 months off from running, you're wrong! Keep running! It's not set in stone-use it, adjust it, ignore it, create your own chart!

I think the take away is "you are going to be slower. you might find yourself walking some. don't beat yourself up over it. And don't try to race in the heat."
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Just keep your heart rate in a lower zone and let that determine your pace. You don't need charts to know if you're running too fast. It's pretty obvious.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think the take away is "you are going to be slower. you might find yourself walking some. don't beat yourself up over it. And don't try to race in the heat."

Last summer after I raced a 5K on July 4th I promised myself I would never race during the summer again. However, if I happen to be in St. Simons again this 4th, I will definitely be running that race again. And I'm sure I'll say the same thing again after I finish. I've also signed up for a half in Atlanta at the beginning of September, which, for those of you who don't live in the south...is still very much summer. Oh well! :)
  • likitisplit
    Options

Last summer after I raced a 5K on July 4th I promised myself I would never race during the summer again. However, if I happen to be in St. Simons again this 4th, I will definitely be running that race again. And I'm sure I'll say the same thing again after I finish. I've also signed up for a half in Atlanta at the beginning of September, which, for those of you who don't live in the south...is still very much summer. Oh well! :)

I'm running a 10k in Atlanta on Saturday. I plan to stop for every water station. 2 cups: one to drink and one to go over my head.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I'm running a 10k in Atlanta on Saturday. I plan to stop for every water station. 2 cups: one to drink and one to go over my head.

Good luck! I'm running a race too, but thankfully it's short and it's a trail race. Just wish they started earlier than 8:30.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Good luck! I'm running a race too, but thankfully it's short and it's a trail race. Just wish they started earlier than 8:30.

then there's the crack of dawn problem. We need to move to Boston where they have them mid-afternoon and celebrate with beer.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

then there's the crack of dawn problem. We need to move to Boston where they have them mid-afternoon and celebrate with beer.

I did a 5k at Turner Field this past Saturday. It started at 7:30am. It actually wasn't too bad, i didn't stop for water at all (of course it was half the distance so we were done before it got really hot). Even the one mile fun run with my son at 8:30 wasn't too bad. Good luck to you both. Stay cool!
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I should have considered that running a fall marathon means training during summer aka humid hell. :noway:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I should have considered that running a fall marathon means training during summer aka humid hell. :noway:

It's like being pregnant. It's just so long that your body and the weather will combine to make you miserable no matter when the kid is delivered.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    This chart is ridiculous. Apparently I shouldn't run for the next 4 months, or if I do I should slow it down to a walk. :laugh: Not gonna happen.
    I was thinking the same thing.

I did a 1/2 marathon in August last year and the starting temp was around 87 and was almost 100 when I finished. I just slowed it down and did some extra hydration.

Just be smart in the heat. Know the signs of heat stroke and take breaks if necessary.