Ideas For Alternatives to Pop

Options
2»

Replies

• pookeyism
    pookeyism Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have been off sodas for over four years, carbonated beverages over two. (sleeved 1/4/2012). My most earnest advise to you: just don't look for a replacement. Water - unsweetened teas or lightly sweetened with agave or honey - a few more calories BUT you aren't exposed to the chemicals found in sweeteners. You forget about soda sooner than you think.
  • Ujj7
    Ujj7 Posts: 51
    Options
    i am also using coconut water, 1/2 and 1/2 with water and ice and add a little flavoring like crystal light .
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the added suggestions ladies. I will give them a try. :drinker: :drinker:
  • pamd33
    pamd33 Posts: 5
    Options
    My Dr suggested I get a sleeve, still thinking about it...

Came across this topic and had some questions..

1) does caffeine need to be cut out completely post sleeve? Or is is something you need to limit to ensure hydration? Is coffee / tea ok as long as you are also drinking lots of water?

2) are there any fizzy drinks allowed? (I'm not looking to drink cola, I don't drink it now aside from the occasional diet coke, but is perrier ok?)

Thanks!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My Dr suggested I get a sleeve, still thinking about it...

Came across this topic and had some questions..

1) does caffeine need to be cut out completely post sleeve? Or is is something you need to limit to ensure hydration? Is coffee / tea ok as long as you are also drinking lots of water?

2) are there any fizzy drinks allowed? (I'm not looking to drink cola, I don't drink it now aside from the occasional diet coke, but is perrier ok?)

Thanks!

Per my surgeon:

1) Caffeine irratates the lining of the stomach, which is why we are asked to decaffinate ourselves prior to surgery and for awhile after as we heal. My surgeon let me go back to regular coffee after about 3 months. Yes you need to limit it, or at least I do, because if I don't, I drink more coffee than water. Water is much more beneficial to our weight loss efforts and not just for hydration purposes.

2) Carbonation is discouraged because it expands as a gas in your tummy. Before you heal it's dangerous to put that much pressure inside your tummy. After you heal, carbonation makes for a very uncomfortable and often painfull tummy. I am 3 years out now and still don't like to drink anything carbonated or fizzy. My favorite flavored water is carbonated, I sip a little bit and then shake the carbonation out. This water is worth the extra effort to me because it's not just zero calories, but it's also zero sodium, which is hard to find in flavored water. Anyway, I really won't drink it without shaking out the carbonation, it's just too uncomfortable.
  • pamd33
    pamd33 Posts: 5
    Options
    Makes perfect sense about the gas bubbles... thanks for the quick reply!
  • relentless2121
    Options
    I am a few months away form surgery but have been told I will have to week off of caffeine before surgery. I would not want to have the caffeine withdrawal headaches along with the recovery after surgery. I'm not sure how long I have to be off caffeine for but I think it might be a couple of months. I realize that many of the Bariatric Programs across North America have variations in their restrictions and pre and post op procedures. I've been off diet pop since March including Nestea Zero which I love. I recently found out that I can have Nestea Zero so that will be a nice treat on occasion.
    For now I mainly drink water and coffee with some of the sugar free drops to flavor the water.

Hey Pawoodhull? How do you shake the carbon out of your carbonated water? I know this sounds like a silly question but other than leaving it out and letting it go flat I can't figure out how you would do that. Thanks. :smile:

If anyone else has any other ideas of non-alcoholic, non-carbonated beverages, please keep them coming. Thanks
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Slowly!! I do the same with my grapefruit sparkle. Recap, shake, ease cap and let fizz dissipate. Repeat 10 times :)
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Teavana has a really beautiful strawberry lemonade tea. It makes great, fruity iced tea that you can add stevia to, and is bright pink. Very yummy. Also, Tazo has bags of hibiscus tea that you can make iced, and add sugar free lemonade mix too, for a pink and fruity arnold palmer. Great during the summer and both are completely decaf.
  • relentless2121
    Options
    Thanks mangopickle for the explaining the method to take the carbon out of a carbonated beverage.
    Thanks again to everyone for all the great suggestions. :smile:
  • relentless2121
    Options
    Last night I picked up a bottle of Vitamin Water Zero (orange flavor).
    It was a nice thirst quencher on a hot & humid evening.

Last night at Walmart they were clearing out Aquafina + Vitamins (10 calories).
    There were several flavors including Black & Blue Berry. Again, a nice summer treat. Definitely something different that I've never had before.
    Thought I would throw it out there for anyone looking for something bottled, flavored & 10 or no calories.

Last week I tried Powerade Zero - Berry Flavor - again 0 calories.

Anyone else try anything new to them this summer?:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • joyhibbz
    joyhibbz Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I drink blue and orange powerade zero a lot. I was buying them premixed in the bottle but I found they have the drops of both the blue and orange ones. So I buy those now. I don't like the Mio, or any of the other drops and I have never cared for Crystal Light. I will be 18 weeks out from surgery on Monday and I have 1 cup of caffeinated coffee a day and 2 decaf ones sometimes 3 decaf ones depending on how cold it is. Since surgery I have found myself extremely cold so really love warm beverages.

I will never drink soda again just not worth it to me. I will have to try some fruit infused water though it sounds very refreshing if and when we get any warm days here in Newfoundland Canada.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sugar
    Propel Zero - Orange, 12 fl oz 0 0 0 0 0 0
    I love this...aside from drinking 100% water, I drink propel zero when taking my meds (need something flavored to help my meds go down), without "extra, unnecessary" calories!
    Comes in several flavors :smile: