Question about calorie limit

I have lost 28 pounds so far, and when I lose 10 pounds my calorie limit goes down like 50 calories. I have a goal of 68 more pounds to lose. I already try to keep my calories under 1500 - although I started out with 1810 and am now allowed 1700. If I lose 40 more pounds that will take my calories down to 1500 anyway. Will I still lose weight or will I have to take it down to like 1300?? Thank you for any advice :-) I would love this weight to be gone by 2015!!:smile:

Replies

• sebedina
    sebedina Posts: 161 Member
    im pretty sure you will still lose on 1,500 cals, just step up the activity a bit
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Were you not losing at 1700 calories? I'm just curious why you aren't eating them if you can lose with them.

Having said that, if you don't accurately track your calories (weigh everything you eat) then if you are logging 1500 calories you are probably eating more than that. I have 30 more lbs. to lose and I eat 1800-1900 and am losing almost 1 lb. a week on average. I also work out 5 days a week, though.

If you want to lose weight AND keep it off, eating more and losing the weight slowly is a good way to make sure that what you are doing is sustainable. Eating 1300 calories a day is not really sustainable for most people, even though it might make losing weight faster. You might also lose muscle tissue at 1300 which just decreases your metabolism. When you try to eat more normally after that, you might gain more fat back and have a higher body fat percentage than when you started! That is the weight cycling that restrictive dieting causes, and why so many people diet, lose, regain more, diet, regain more, and diet some more. Great for the diet industry, just not great for us!
  • wendyleigh0409
    wendyleigh0409 Posts: 3 Member
    THANK YOU! I DONT WORK OUT AT ALL REALLY NOW. I WALK THREE MILES ONE DAY A WEEK TO GET TO LIBRARY, BUT THATS IT.
  • wendyleigh0409
    wendyleigh0409 Posts: 3 Member
    I NEVER STARTED OUT ON 1810 WHICH IS WHAT IT GAVE ME, I STARTED OUT ON 1500 CALORIES AND I AM WEIGHING EVERYTHING ACCURATELY. I COUNT EVERYTHING. I STARTED OUT 6 DAYS BEFORE FINDING MY FITNESS PAL, HAVE ACTUALLY LOST 28 INSTEAD OF THE 23 IT SAYS. I JUST KNEW I NEEDED TO CUT DOWN SO I STARTED WITH 1500. SOMETIMES I GO TO 1550 OR 1600. AND IM LOSING. I WAS JUST WONDERING :-) I KNOW ITS HARDER TO LOSE WHEN YOU GET CLOSER TO YOUR GOAL.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    I did a blog post about setting goals.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-setting-goals-667045
    In part, it says...
    Calorie goals can be determined several different ways.
    Here are 2 of the easiest.
    In my case, when I started my weight-loss project these 2 methods gave me the same number.
    Don't go under 1200 calories per day unless you're supervised by a doctor!!!

Method #1 - Find your healthy goal weight and multiply it by 10.
    This will bring you to your goal weight, and you only have to figure it out once.

Method #2 - Multiply your current weight by 10, then subtract 500-1000 calories per day to lose 1-2 lb per week.
    (This method is used by my doctor & dietician.)
    If you have a lot to lose, aim for 2 lb per week at first. When you're closer to your goal weight, slow to 1 lb per week.
    This is a better method if you have a lot of weight to lose, because you're eating to maintain your current weight, which is likely lots more than what method #1 came up with.
    Also, drastically changing your intake suddenly is not likely to be sustainable. You'll feel hungry all the time & be miserable.
    The disadvantage to this is that you have to periodically recalculate... but it's very easy to do.

"evidence shows that people who lose weight gradually and steadily (about 1-2 pounds per week) are more successful at keeping weight off ...
    To lose weight, you must use up more calories than you take in. Since one pound equals 3,500 calories, you need to reduce your caloric intake by 500-1000 calories per day to lose about 1-2 pounds per week."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/losing_weight/index.html

When you hit a plateau, subtract 50 calories.
    That's often enough to get you losing again.
  • Good comments for me to consider. Thanks.
  • AnneCoolbreze
    AnneCoolbreze Posts: 29 Member
    Good stuff, but I have to note that I only broke through a plateau by having a cheat meal and then right back on track. (This is from my 70lb loss 6 yrs ago.) So yes try dropping cals but if that doesn't work, don't be afraid to have 1 cheat meal. (I actually did one per month throughout my 10 mos I was losing the weight.
  • kyach
    kyach Posts: 17
    It is harder when super close to goal weight.... Exercise will have to be started at some point most likely