Unable to Complete 1 Day

Options
sacto68
sacto68 Posts: 35 Member
Did anyone else have to work yourself into day 1? For the last week and a half I've tried my best with this program, repeating wk1, day1 at least 5 times. I can get to the a little past the half way mark before my body says "nope not today", mainly my lungs & chest. Now I have recently stopped smoking, from 1 pack a day for the last 15 years to nothing. I know this will have an effect on me to some degree. But I'm getting frustrated.

I'm able to finish the 2.6 mile loop from my house to the park no problem. It's just the running that's getting me. Any advise?

Replies

• sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Go slow and make sure to breathe properly.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/lung-power?page=single

You should be able to talk while running. c: Good luck! you can do this!
  • CynNSinCity
    CynNSinCity Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Instead of aiming to finish day 1, focus on jogging - not running - 15 seconds, 20 seconds, 30 seconds and increase it until you can do the 1 day successfully. It's little steps but it might help your lungs and body adjust to the new goal. And yes, smoking will (I think) effect your new goal, so you need to modify around it.

And also, the running - try jogging VERY slowly. I use the treadmill and jog at a 3.3 at first and now at a 3.5. It's a fast walk to most. I don't care... it's the motion of jogging that matters to start with. Not speed!

Don't give up on the program - you can do this. If you can give up smoking you can make your body and lungs healthy!! It took years to get where you are now, it will take time to where you want to be! Don't give up!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Instead of aiming to finish day 1, focus on jogging - not running - 15 seconds, 20 seconds, 30 seconds and increase it until you can do the 1 day successfully. It's little steps but it might help your lungs and body adjust to the new goal. And yes, smoking will (I think) effect your new goal, so you need to modify around it.

And also, the running - try jogging VERY slowly. I use the treadmill and jog at a 3.3 at first and now at a 3.5. It's a fast walk to most. I don't care... it's the motion of jogging that matters to start with. Not speed!

Don't give up on the program - you can do this. If you can give up smoking you can make your body and lungs healthy!! It took years to get where you are now, it will take time to where you want to be! Don't give up!

Okay...Cyn...don't use that word. You are a runner now...not a jogger. If you start C25K you are running...no matter how slowly. Jogging is the word that non-runners use to describe people they think aren't running.

That being said...I agree with slowing down. Your running portion should actually be as slow as you can go...so basically the speed where anything slower will be walking.
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The advice to slow down is spot on!

If your muscles aren't what's stopping you, at least you can eliminate other possible issues (shoes, form, etc...). Don't worry about your speed. Take it slow - so you could talk and run at the same time. If you can't speak a full sentence, slow down. My run pace is barely faster than my walk pace, but you know what? I've gone from can't-run-a-mile to 13.1-miles-without-stopping.

Keep at it! You will be amazed at what your body can do if you are consistent. Speed will come with time. Being the best YOU that you can be is the priority right now, not winning a 5k race! You're doing great!
  • sattwellrn
    sattwellrn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am a turtle! Slow and steady is my mantra. Congrats on stopping smoking, that is huge. Just keep going, you are great!
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    If you need to, work your way up from your current fitness level to where you can begin week 1, then take a while to get there.

About 18 months ago, I was completely out of shape and if I had to run 100 yards to catch the train, I'd be desperately gasping and panting and my heart would be pounding. After a year of visiting the gym (mostly lifting with just a bit of slow interval treadmill training on non-lifting days) I plunged into the CT5K program and ran a 5K in March and eventually ran a 10K in late April. Now I'm currently training for a late July half marathon and had a nice 7.5 mile run (jogging the whole way) just a few days ago. I didn't get to this point overnight, it took quite a while.

Just do what you can do right now and gradually build up your fitness, stamina, and speed.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Great advice here: slow down.
    It's possible to run slower than you walk. Just keep slowing down until you find the pace that gets you through the day. When I started, I was running about 5.5K/hr on the treadmill...that's about 3.5 miles/hr.....very slow but it got me through it and speed increased slowly over the time of the program.

Perhaps try walking the 2.6mile loop for a day or two and timing yourself. What's your walking speed? Can you run at that speed as well?

Don't give up. You can do this. Believe me, I never thought I could run and I can do it now because of C25K.
  • sacto68
    sacto68 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I do believe my issue is going to fast. I use an app to track my run/walks and noticed that during the running portion I was getting up to 9 min/mile range. While I feel comfortable there for a short time, I need to get my body use to this first.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Yeah, that's a great time but much too quick for a beginner.
    Man....I'd love to be running that time now and I've been at it for about 1.5 years now. I'm currently at around 7:30/kilometer (approx. 11:30/mile....maybe 12 minutes/mile).

Try again but run slower and get back to us. You can do this.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Slow down. That was the best advice I received when I first started and was struggling. I've been running for a little over a year and I'm right around a 12 min mile. Slow and steady to build up endurance and then if you want to work on speed go for it.

Congratulations on starting the program!!! Slow down and I am sure you will be successful :)
  • michielyn
    michielyn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I do believe my issue is going to fast. I use an app to track my run/walks and noticed that during the running portion I was getting up to 9 min/mile range. While I feel comfortable there for a short time, I need to get my body use to this first.

Good luck! Slowing down should help.

I have to go so slow sometimes, I'm sure I look silly. I could walk normal and go faster than my slow run. But I don't care, I'm running :-)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I was getting up to 9 min/mile range.

That's rapid given your stage in training.

Slow down
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    You are a runner now...not a jogger. If you start C25K you are running...no matter how slowly. Jogging is the word that non-runners use to describe people they think aren't running.

Wow, I don't think I've EVER heard that before, but I really like it. My actual C25K app uses "Jog" in the run sections, so that's what I think I'm doing. I'll start another topic, but I'm thinking of changing apps just to see what the others feel like anyway... do they all say "Jog"?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    You are a runner now...not a jogger. If you start C25K you are running...no matter how slowly. Jogging is the word that non-runners use to describe people they think aren't running.

Wow, I don't think I've EVER heard that before, but I really like it. My actual C25K app uses "Jog" in the run sections, so that's what I think I'm doing. I'll start another topic, but I'm thinking of changing apps just to see what the others feel like anyway... do they all say "Jog"?

No not all. I am one of those runners who just hates the term jog or jogger or jogging, becuase is usually implies that the person isn't running. Mark Remy on Runner's World actually does a lot of jokes about news articles who use the term jogger in place of a runner.

I hate those words because it inadvertantly creates this wall...where slow runners think they are compared to the rest of the running community, when in reality we are all just one big family. That phrase scares a lot of slower runners away from things like running groups, running clubs, etc.. When in reality, those are the places that they should gravitating towards because finding a good running group can increase the success of a runner.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have a really hard time with the C25K program as well. I am 230lbs, I've been told that you shouldn't run unless you're under 200 otherwise it's too hard for your joints. Is this true? I have an extremely hard time running 1 minute, I'm puffing like a bellows and my legs are burning like mad. I never thought to try slowing down... I am used to walking, in general I can walk 2-3 miles before feeling fatigued and ready to quit, but running is awful to me.

One thing I've done is use a HIIT timer to make my own intervals, with 30 seconds of running and 2.5 minutes of walking between. I warm up with five minutes, do 8 intervals of running, and 5 minute cool down (total time a little over 30 minutes). I found that by doing a block around my house and hitting some of the cul-de-sacs, the distance is almost perfect for me to start and end at my house. Every week I plan to increase my running time by 15 seconds and decrease walking by the same. I plan to run 3 times a week, with one day break in between, and do some weight training on non-running days. Do you think this is an acceptable alternative to ease me into running? I've just completed my second day of running, it was really hard for me (more for back pain than running issues) but I was proud to have done it.
  • MegRenee059
    MegRenee059 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am SO glad that I'm not the only one having problems getting started with this. I've always dreaded running, and I'm making myself run a (fun) 5k in a couple of months (yes, I know, negative, but until running feels good to me, I'm not going to be very happy about it lol.)

It took me about a week and a half to finish Day 1 (never smoked a day in my life, but I really don't get much cardio in ever,) and I accidentally cheated the first day by missing one of the running intervals (oops.) I finished the rest of week 1 with no problems, and now I've tried twice to finish week 2 day 1, and am finding it damn near impossible; my legs get so weak that I can barely keep myself up. Seeing the advise to slow down makes me feel better... I'm sure my short legs trying to go for the 11:30 minute mile pace didn't help. I'm going to have to try that today, because two bad runs in a row just makes me feel pretty crappy.
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I could not finish day one when I started either. I was 255lbs at the time. So, I "punted" and just walked for a month. I increased the walking distance and pace slowly over the month then restarted the C25K. I was able to complete week one with effort.

Everyone has a different starting point. The point is to do what you can, then slowly add to it every time and you will get stronger.

Im now finishing week 2 and am 10 lbs lighter. Dont give up.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    I have a really hard time with the C25K program as well. I am 230lbs, I've been told that you shouldn't run unless you're under 200 otherwise it's too hard for your joints. Is this true? I have an extremely hard time running 1 minute, I'm puffing like a bellows and my legs are burning like mad. I never thought to try slowing down... I am used to walking, in general I can walk 2-3 miles before feeling fatigued and ready to quit, but running is awful to me.

It's not true if you take it slow. We've had runners here who weigh over 200 lbs and they did great.
    With running, it's the turtles that make it to the end. It's actually possible to run slower than you walk, so keep slowing down until you can make it through the program. Speed will happen over time.
    You've got a good walking base. That's a good start.

One thing I've done is use a HIIT timer to make my own intervals, with 30 seconds of running and 2.5 minutes of walking between. I warm up with five minutes, do 8 intervals of running, and 5 minute cool down (total time a little over 30 minutes). I found that by doing a block around my house and hitting some of the cul-de-sacs, the distance is almost perfect for me to start and end at my house. Every week I plan to increase my running time by 15 seconds and decrease walking by the same. I plan to run 3 times a week, with one day break in between, and do some weight training on non-running days. Do you think this is an acceptable alternative to ease me into running? I've just completed my second day of running, it was really hard for me (more for back pain than running issues) but I was proud to have done it.

Well done! Day 2 completed!
    It's a good start but you'll find that adding only 15 seconds to your run time (total increase per workout session or per run session?) is a bit slow. Have you looked at the C25K routine? It increases faster than that.
    However, if you're using your routine as a pre-C25K training, it's great. When you're comfortable with running 1-2 minutes, then switch over to C25K (starting from the beginning).
    In the beginning, your body systems are all at different levels and the first few weeks of training is to get them all at the same level. After that, you start endurance & stamina training.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    I could not finish day one when I started either. I was 255lbs at the time. So, I "punted" and just walked for a month. I increased the walking distance and pace slowly over the month then restarted the C25K. I was able to complete week one with effort.

Everyone has a different starting point. The point is to do what you can, then slowly add to it every time and you will get stronger.

Im now finishing week 2 and am 10 lbs lighter. Dont give up.

Wonderful advice!

And......way to go!!
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I actually finished week 1, and now I'm at week 2, just completed my second day with 45 second intervals. It's 15 second increase to each run interval (with 8 running intervals), with a 15 second decrease in my walking intervals at the same time.

I know that the C25K increases much faster than that, but that's what I have troubles with, because if I can't run 1 minute intervals, how am I supposed to run 1.5 intervals in the second week? Repeating weeks is good advice, but I tend to get bored easily, and repeating weeks makes me more likely to give up when I don't feel like I'm progressing.

I also slowed down my running, and I feel SOOOO much better about running now. I'm glad I don't have to wait until I'm under 200 to run because I haven't been waiting, and again, just walking around makes me feel like I'm lacking forward motion in my progress. Having these short intervals of running makes me feel really good actually, one that I can make it from bell to bell without stopping and feeling like a failure, and two that I can do it over and over again at each interval.