Sun Salutations: the perfect exercise?

GibbsGirl13072
GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
Not that I don't love every other pose I can manage to get myself into, but I did 36 sun salutations yesterday, and I feel sore mucsles in all kinds of places! Sore in a good way though, can't wait to see what it will feel like after 108 this weekend. :bigsmile:

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    108 is fun. Is it a summer solstice celebration?
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    OMG I just wouldn't be able to count past about five, I would be so wrapped up in them. I would need somebody to count them for me. Luckily I only do them in class, and for our warm-up before the other asanas!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Our teacher lights 11 tea lights - one for every 10 and the last one for the 8 and blows one out for each 10 (for Winter Solstice) or lights one for every 10 (for Summer Solstice - growing light). Its a great way to see the growing energy and of course - you get to take a little rest every batch of ten!
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Our teacher lights 11 tea lights - one for every 10 and the last one for the 8 and blows one out for each 10 (for Winter Solstice) or lights one for every 10 (for Summer Solstice - growing light). Its a great way to see the growing energy and of course - you get to take a little rest every batch of ten!

that sounds cool!
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    great idea :)
  • yoginimary
    I have very dumb cats that like to play with fire. So when I do this at home I use 12 pennies and move them from one side of the mat to the other during uttanasana
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    How long have you practiced yoga to get through that many sun salutations? I don't think I could come close to that!
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    there is a free 108 at a studio near me I'm going to give it a try :) I think I can make it through them all.
  • yoginimary
    How long have you practiced yoga to get through that many sun salutations? I don't think I could come close to that!

I don't think it's necessarily how long you've practice as much as how much. Try doing as many as possible at home and see how it goes. You might be surprised how many you do.

Oh, I should say, careful with your shoulders doing this many. Watch your form as you go between the dog poses as well as chaturanga (if you do that part).
  • KellyUVA
    KellyUVA Posts: 255 Member
    I love sun salutations! I never thought about doing just those for exercise but, it sounds like a great idea!

Are you doing Series A, B or both?
  • GibbsGirl13072
    It's for a facebook group, but yeah it's for the summer solstice. I made it to 72 last night, and it was pretty tough, but once I got to about 65 I felt really good. I haven't really been practicing for that long, on and off for maybe 5 years. I didn't do it at all for about a year after I sprained my shoulder, but eventually it didn't hurt anymore and I started up again.

I like the idea with the candles, I may have to borrow that sometime!
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    I am also curious about whether you were doing A or B or both.
  • GibbsGirl13072
    Sorry, I don't always get to check in on my groups from the app and I missed the part about A or B. I've been doing A, but I've only done 36 this week. Combined with some of the other exercises I've done, and a few yoga practices, I'm a little sore. I don't really feel it in my shoulders, but I try and not come up too far in cobra, sometimes I think I overextend and I can feel a pull in my stomach area.