How far do you run?

Options
Autumnfilly2005
Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
I'm not on the C25K yet, I'm still building up a basic fitness base before I attempt it, but I am doing my own interval running. It's the same principle as the C25K, just shorter running and longer walking. Anyway, I noticed that during my first week of running (30 seconds running, 2.5 minutes walking, repeat 8 times with 5 minute walking warm up and cool downs, total time 31:30 minutes), I cover nearly 2 miles (1.8 average). Since a 5k is only 3.1 miles, it seems like I'm already halfway there.

That got me wondering, how far do people on the c25k program actually run, mileage wise? Do any of you track your distance or do you just run for the times allotted? It makes me think that we might be logging more mileage than we realize!

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Mileage or time really doesn't matter. You can do either or. I always tracked my distance, and I only recently got in 3 miles under 30 minutes. However, it is usually better to focus on the time rather than the distance. Some people who do the C25K will be able to do more than 3 miles in 30 minutes. Some might only be able to do 2 miles. The whole point of C25K is actually to get a person running continuously for 30 minutes, regardless of the distance ran.
  • sappy42
    sappy42 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Based on the stats my app gives me, I go about 2.8 miles in each 30 min session. It says my projected 5k is approx 42 min, I avg about 13 min and change per mile. Mind you, that does include 5 min warm up and 5 min cool down (though I have been running toward home during the cool down then doing me stretching), so I haven't actually hit the 30 min 5K yet. Once I graduate, in 4 more runs, I'm looking into C25K+ since I'm NOT ready to try the 10k app. I'm doing a local 5k with a friend this fall to keep me motivated with a goal in mind. I told said friend before I starting c25k that my goal was to be a hard-core runner (by my own definition, running outside even in the winter). I never really though of actual races till I was on this board lol
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Options
    I like the idea of signing up for a race, but I'm really shy about going on my own. The color run and similar races look really fun, but I have asthma around dusty environments (I can walk/run fine on the cement, but put me on a dirt trail, even a hard-packed trail, and I have issues). It hasn't been bad enough for me to see a doctor about, so I don't have an inhaler or anything.

I think for me covering the distance would be no problem, as long as I walk walking, but running is another issue. I wouldn't care how fast my 5k is, so long as I actually run the whole thing.
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3, and Im slow. I only cover about 2 miles. I just want to complete it though, I'll worry about speed later.
  • kristinwesterfield
    kristinwesterfield Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm the same - slow. I made it to 1.93 miles w2d3 but got a little less distance w3d1. For now I'm just worried about finishing. I'll pick up speed later!
  • BreeeRN
    BreeeRN Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I go 4-4.5km per 30mins
  • jeannab13
    jeannab13 Posts: 8
    Options
    I only get to 2.10 miles at the most. I am on week 3 - but last week sprained my inner ankle during the last jogging interval. Couldn't put weight on it the next day without pain shooting up. I have a brace for it. July 4 I taped with KT Tape to enjoy time at lake with family. While getting ready to kick off across the water I kicked a huge rock cutting my foot and hurting my last 2 toes more than when I broke them the first 2 times. XRay on Saturday - says not broken - but Dr. put me in a boot for 4 weeks.
    I've been couched for now.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I think for me covering the distance would be no problem, as long as I walk walking, but running is another issue. I wouldn't care how fast my 5k is, so long as I actually run the whole thing.

From your first post, it sounds like your speed is about right. Speed doesn't matter at this point. Whatever gets you through your training session is the right speed. The rest will happen over time.

I haven't entered a race yet but still run 5K three times a week. It's for myself and by myself. Keep training. You'll be running 5K soon. Stay slow and you'll make it. Speed comes after that. My first 5K of total running took 50 minutes; had to go very slow in order to do the distance.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I used to go about 2.5 miles when I did this 2 year's ago. Now I have no idea. I run on an indoor track (AC!) where 17 laps is a mile. That's far too many to count!
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Options
    I used to go about 2.5 miles when I did this 2 year's ago. Now I have no idea. I run on an indoor track (AC!) where 17 laps is a mile. That's far too many to count!

You need to get one of those little counters bus drivers use to count kids, click it every time you do a lap. Then you'd know how far you go. I wouldn't mind running on a track, but I'd want it to be a large track, I think 17 times a mile (for me that a little less than 1 lap per minute) would drive me nuts, like a hamster on a wheel. On the other hand, AC! I could forgive a lot to have AC on my while I'm running!
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options

You need to get one of those little counters bus drivers use to count kids, click it every time you do a lap. Then you'd know how far you go. I wouldn't mind running on a track, but I'd want it to be a large track, I think 17 times a mile (for me that a little less than 1 lap per minute) would drive me nuts, like a hamster on a wheel. On the other hand, AC! I could forgive a lot to have AC on my while I'm running!

LOL That's a good point! Running in the coolness is awesome! I'd use the mapmyrun app to record how far you are going. Easy cheesy!!

On a side note, I have been running 5k each time I go out. The C25K program doesn't go that far for the weeks I'm doing but I run the program, take a short walk break then run the rest of the way home. I look forward to the day when looking at 10k won't seem so daunting ;)