Good routine for newbies??

Options
emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
Hi everyone

I am 43 and wanting to build some muscle and lose a little bit of fat (not a lot as I am already in ok shape - I am 164cm and about 48kg)

My primary sport of choice is swimming but also run and have just gotten into kettlebells. Have dabbled with them for a week or so at a time over the past two years but now want to commit to using them regularly and see what they can do.

At home I have a 8kg, 10kg, and 12kg and am familiar with swings, clean and press, squat and press, around the worlds (the body not the head variation) and figure 8s as well as pullovers and single leg deadlifts. I am currently learning the Turkish getup but 8kg is too heavy so I am following the steps of glass of water then will use a lighter dumbell until I can manage the 8.

I have Tracy Reifkind's book "The Swing" and have also subscribed to Greg Brookes training site and have one of his apps (Kettlebell 300 challenge).

I would like to work out with KBs at least 3 times a week. So far the only soreness I have felt is in the hamstrings after single leg deadlifts and the abs after swings.

Currently the workouts I have done are:

The aforementioned 300 challenge (minus the snatches as I do not feel comfortable doing them)
15 mins of 10 swings on the minute (150 all up)
Greg's perfect pair ie 20 swings 10 pushups, 20 swings 9 pushups down to 20 swings 1 pushup
My own random combinations of ATWs (total of 200 each way with 10kg), 3x25 SDL with 10kg and bits and pieces of others.

Am wanting to feel it in the upper body as hoping to get stronger for my swimming - and I want some decent shoulders lol.

Any guidance hugely appreciated.

Replies

• spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    the key with anything is do not over do any one movement.

I used to do a "cardio" day with an 8kg that consisted of

40 alternating hand swings
    20 clean and press each hand
    20 high pulls each hand ( you didn`t mention this drill - if you don`t know it - look it up - it is the easy precursor to a snatch )
    20 snatches each hand
    40 true snatches
    40 two handed swings

2 min rest - repeat through 3 times

that will have you pouring sweat in no time

to help your TGU - break it down - keep doing the steps to the point before you stand as a drill for a while
    keep your eye on the bell at all times - looking forward or down will cause you to loose stability
    do the get down stage first - it`s easier than the get up

do lock out hold / walks - ( clean ..press .. hold for 30secs once you have the holds down - start walking with bell locked out - always watch the bell )

snatches will help your upper body so keep working on them

things to consider adding - windmills - high and low weights
    farmer carries

Do not be afraid to mix the weight you use of different days - I am training to compete - the snatch is my event - 20KG bell - but I`ll train with everything from 12 through to 24 KG
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks heaps for such a great reply!

Yes I do do high pulls - learned them from the app on my phone.

I notice I am much weaker on one side - can do presses with 10kg on my right side (6) but zero on left side so hopefully will even that up.

Will try your routine tomorrow (with the exception of the snatches)

Thanks again :-)
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    everyone is dominant on one side - at my last event I think I did 77 snatches on my right and 59 on my left - some of that can be attributed to general fatigue but my left side is weaker than the right - On saying that my form is generally better on my left side because I can`t muscle is so easily ! That is the great thing about kettle bells they did help even out the left / right strength

When you start doing snatches wear a wrist band - it will help a little with the bell landing until you get the form right so you are not smacking your wrist - it really is my favorite of all KB drill - I think it looks so bad *kitten* once you work up to heavy weight - and it really is such a power move but so elegant when performed well. If you can do a high pull to turn that into a snatch all you do is release your grip slightly at the high point where the bell stops moving for the moment and slide your hand through the handle a little deeper and shot it up - go outside on some grass or sand and don`t be afraid to drop the bell - the first time I snatched a 50lb bell I actually locked the weight out and then lost my nerve and dropped the thing !! - they don`t break - I actually dropped the 45lb bell at the end of my set last weekend in the gym - sweaty hands - 117 reps in ! - lol.Not sure about the DVD you are using I have never seen it - but Iike the way Jeff Martone explains the progression - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FrUqUPO284 - Don`t be afraid to dig through youtube videos of people like Mike Mahler, Martone, Steve Cotter - these are the old school KB guys who were doing videos before Walmart started selling pink bells !!

There are many ways to execute a snatch - there the normal "hard" snatch form which you are likely familiar with - a long swing arc - then there is the rectilinear form which is tighter and the bell travels more parallel with your body - rather like a clean that keeps going - and then there is the competition form with has a tighter more diagonal swing trajectory - then intent being to minimize effort to last for 10 mins / higher reps - with each there are subtle differences and you have to find your groove - some people like a slightly staggered stance v squared up - some prefer a slightly diagonal trajectory - if you look at a couple of people you will find the right form for you
  • cynthia_h
    cynthia_h Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    God bless you both, 8 kg?! I'm starting with 5 lbs. or 2.27 kg AND that is PLENTY.
  • Nkoiq0
    Nkoiq0 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I just experimented with kettlebells for the first time today and loved it.
    GAME CHANGER
    This is really helpful!