Paleo inside & out?

Options
Just curious if when embracing the Paleo/Primal, lifestyle to whatever degree you feel is right for you, if you are treating the outside of your body (skin) the same way as the inside. Not sure if anyone thinks of this or if it matters at all. I am a natural soap and beauty product creator and was curious if this plays any part in your normal skin care routine. What about household chemicals,have you switched any of these to omit chemicals and is so why and how far have you gone? What are your thoughts on this if any? I have had a chemical free house for longer than my one year paleo so not sure if I would have made this switch naturally at that time or if I have just done it due to my allergy to SLS's (Sodium Lauryl Sulfates) and my other aversions to chemicals.

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY. Things that we put on our body goes into the body. Contaminants in our environment affect US; we are not an impermeable bubble. Yeah, it matters. Big time imo.

I started getting all about contaminants when I became pregnant. What I learned blew my socks off. I threw out all of my baby products and started over. I was careful with the toys I purchased too. For all body products, if I can't eat it, it doesn't go on our body. I don't use perfume, few cosmetics (read the ingredients), no perfumes or anything scented with anything but natural plant oils.

I'm also careful with cleaners and laundry products. I'm very aware of what consumer products contain toxic ingredients, which is most of them. Carpets, furniture, bedding… you name it. Even Microban (to be discontinued) in kitchen products (so we are consuming it constantly and destroying our micro-biota). Nano particles are the newest things being put in everything and the effects of them are totally unknown. They are already being found in marine animals here in the Arctic.

My big issue is that with all these toxic materials used everywhere in our life, nothing is LABELLED. I feel like I've had to become a home-schooled chemical engineer just to protect my family. It's BS. However, the fewer of us who buy these toxic things, the sooner they will no longer be manufactured. Unfortunately, most people are apathetic/unaware, and many others get so depressed by it all that they give up. Do the best one can, but don't be apathetic and don't give up. And most importantly, don't be the person who ridicules people who are becoming aware and asking questions. The blind trust that many of us have that corporations would never hurt us, and that the government will always protect us, is illogical and intolerable. IMO
  • AmyMS86
    AmyMS86 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Definitely. We try to keep things as "natural" as possible, but I do buy my soaps and cleaning products. I tried making my own, but they didn't turn out quite right. We use Ora Wellness and activated charcoal for brushing our teeth, Dr. Bonner's for body wash, and I use a lot of Seventh Generation's cleaning prodcuts, or just vinegar to clean with. I try to be conscious of anything that goes in our bodies, so it makes sense to be conscious of what is outside, as well.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Yep. It's been a gradual switch, though, as I try out and find new stuff to replace the old (our laziness has worked in our favor on this front, since we don't use many cleaners in general).

I started with my own laundry detergent, because I can't stand the perfumy smell most have and wanted to save some money. Then swapped fabric softener out for apple cider vinegar.

After some skin issues I've been having still wouldn't clear up, I started making my own soap from scratch. Then switched to a homemade shampoo, too (made with coconut milk and Dr. Bronner's liquid castille soap), and the oil cleansing method for facial cleansing (and honey or a sugar+olive oil scrub for exfoliating occasionally). I make my own toothpaste, too, from a blend of baking soda, bentonite clay, and coconut oil.

My most recent switch is glass cleaner, which I found a 50:50 mix of ACV and water to work really well (seriously, ACV is a wonder substance). I'm still working on dish soap (both dishwasher and hand-wash soaps), but have been trying more "natural" brands with less crap in them in the meantime. I've been using ACV in the rinse aid part, though I'm kind of afraid that the thinness of it (compared to the more gel-like consistency of commercial rinse aids) makes the dishwasher use more.

My next project is home made deodorant, which I'll be making once my Burt's Bees deodorant runs out, so I can use the container.

I'm a big fan of http://wellnessmama.com/ . She's got a ton of natural/toxic-free living stuff.

I think it's interesting how the more "hardcore" level of Paleo has evolved from not just eating Paleo, but living it. I'm loving watching how the movement/trend evolves back to basics instead of mindless convenience.
  • EverythingNicki
    Options
    Thanks Ladies, the responses were very helpful. I am going to start adding paleo to my list of tags on my various websites for my natural products as I can see this is as important as Vegan is to Vegans! I have lots of recipes for natural cleaners and beauty products if anyone is curious on how to's...just PM me!