Diet: Finding My Daily Recommended Allowances

Options
1. Besides calories, what other things should I keep track of in my diet and how do I find out what my recommended intake should be to lose weight?

Age:41 Weight: 173, Fat=35%, Height 5'5", Large muscular build
I do 30-40 minutes of cardio M-F + some strength, I have MFP set for 1200 and even though MFP gives me back my workout calories, I still try to only consume 1200. Weight loss has been extremely slow and I'm wondering if my body is in starvation mode or if it's something else with my diet.

2. What is the best distribution of my daily allowances between meals and snacks?
Is it better to consume more before lunch and fewer in the evening? I set up MFP with 7aBreakfast - 930aSnack - 12pLunch - 230pSnack - 5pmDinner - 8pmSnack and try to stay in a calorie routine of 1200 calories = 200 breakfast, 300 snack, 300 lunch, 200 snack, 200 dinner. (Note: I'm not a breakfast person so I eat big at 9:30am after my workout). Does this look good or bad or need adjusting?

Thank you for your recommendations!

Replies

• necolong1014
    Options
    I would like to know this as well. I was told I was not eating enough and now that I am eating more I am losing about 1.5-2 lbs a week. How do we know what to eat and how much? I also would like to know all those uneaten calories are they gone after that day or do we build them up every week and they need to be eaten back?
  • kathie1313
    kathie1313 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi: Newbie here. Am 63yo, 133 lbs. just recently. Medium frame.

#s: glucose 111; cholesterol 217; LDL 137. Rest of them in range. Did have high BP in past, better now 130s. Know it's not great. For that & other reasons could you give me recommended daily nutritional values? Need them in Potassium, magnesium (b/c of BP) and including, but not limited to: Folic, Vit C, Vit D, protein, fat, etc, etc. I have a comprehensive Food Counter book I refer to.

I am recently rekindled w/my walk of 3 mi. 5day/wk. Ride bike 3 mi. 2day/wk., and work out some on fit ball with crunches 5 day/wk. Am pretty healthy. No limitations.

Thanks so much. Hope to hear from you soon, so I can continue on my quest to better #s and my life style change to KEEP OFF MEDS. :)
    Kat