Hello -- and a question from those post-op

Hi -- I'm new to the site. My sleeve surgery is at the end of June. The one thing that probably has me the most concerned (which is silly and vain) is what will my body look like after I lose the weight?

I'm in my mid-50s and need to lose about 140 pounds. I know that I will be able to manage the dietary and lifestyle changes... those have already been in the works for months.

But those of you who have reached your weight loss goals, did you need cosmetic surgery to removed excess skin? Was it expensive? Was having the excess skin a problem with personal care?

I know this is silly -- but this is the one thing that keeps coming up in my mind and whatever the answers are... it doesn't matter. I am going forward with the surgery. I want to be fit again. But what will "fit" look like when standing naked in front of the bathroom mirror?

Thank you for your replies.

Kate

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Your concern over how your body will look after losing 140 lbs is concerning. How you feel about your body now as an obese woman is very important. I credit 90% of my success with falling in love with myself (and my body is part of that package) as an obese woman. Body acceptance is huge. If I tell you that I am 45 with boobs and a body like Minnie Pearl is that a big issue? Only 10% of your success will come from the surgery. That is why they put you through so much education, nutrition and psych counseling. Obese people medicate their fears with food. Your concern about being covered in loose skin after losing 140 lbs is a telltale signal that you need to revisit this topic with your WLS team. That said some ins plans cover some plastIc surgery in some cases. It is expensive and extremely painful. Several of our support group members had it. They are pleased with no longer having huge droopy batwings or panus belly but they did it mostly to make their clothes fit better. It doesn't give you a huge improvement in looks. The surgeons usually like you to wait a couple yrs for you to prove you won't gain the weight back.....remember 50% of WLS pt do not follow the lifestyle and gain it all back. Hope I didn't offend. Good luck
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    I'm 47, was sleeved 8 months ago and I'm nearly at goal. I had less to lose than you. I expect to level out at a 90-100 pound loss. I did this firstly to improve my health, but it would be a lie to say I'm not thrilled to look better as well. I look good and feel confident in my clothes now. That said, the loose skin is not my favorite result, but one I fully expected and accept as a part of the process. I have pretty significant "bat wings" and loose skin all over, really. I won't wear shorts in public. I do not have a panus that hangs down, (though there will always be a pooch there). I'll likely not have surgery to rid myself of the pooch or loose skin as it's not causing me a medical issue (wouldn't be covered by insurance), and it is an expensive and very painful procedure. This is something that we all have to come to terms with as WLS patients. It's one of the things you sign up for along with the post-op regimen and a LIFETIME of after care requiring multiple supplements, high protein, small meals and exercise to name a few. You have to be ready for the trade off and you have to be ready to change to be successful long term.
  • Playnkate
    Playnkate Posts: 5
    My concern is mostly a curiosity. I am mostly concerned with whether there might be potential health related issues that will need attention. My primary goal for the WLS is to once again be physically fit. To no longer be at high risk for type 2 Diabetes or the myriad of other health risks that accompany obesity.

I am not unaccepting of my body now -- and do not foresee it to be an issue in the future. It is just one of the issues that you don't see much talked about. I just know that at my age, the elasticity isn't what it used to be and that the rapid weight loss also brings with it a different response than a slow steady weight loss.

What I am most looking forward to is the ability to be more active with my family. To enjoy playing with my grandchild (my first is due this fall). I have made great progress in modifying my lifestyle. My whole family has been eating very differently for the past 6 months. The support is there for this long term change.

As I said, my question came mostly from a curiosity. I am and always have been a person who takes challenges as they come and do not dwell on things that are beyond my control. I was just curious to what experience others have had in that regard.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Loose skin after a big weight loss is gonna happen if you loose it dieting or with WLS. I was 270 and lost 146 pounds. Yes I have upper arm bat wings, pouchy tummy, droopy wrinkled butt, upper thighs saggy. I've worked out lifted weights and done alot of different exercising but nothing is gonna shrink that loose skin back to normal. Only plastic surgery will. I was obese all my life till after my WLS. I am now 50 years old. Does it bother me? Yes some but I still wear sleeveless or cap sleeve shirts and wear shorts and wear a swimsuit at the gym. I never let my obesity stop me when I was 270 pounds and don't let my saggy skin stop me now at a normal weight. Ya only got one life so live it! I looked into plastic surgery and to do 2 combo surgeries would be over $11,000 at a my WLS program discount rate! I would need three combo surgeries so that is like $33,000 plus!! No way! Plus the complications and drains scared me so at this time I will just live with the droopy saggy skin.
    Good luck on your WLS!
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    I think it depends a lot on where you carry your weight. For me, it was all over, but I've always been a size bigger on top than on bottom. For me the weight came out proportionally so the loose skin is not worse in one area over another. My exercise of choice is a stationary bike 5x per week so my legs are as solid as they're going to get, (still saggy thighs), I'll probably never be comfortable in shorts. Cute capri's for me. I can live with that!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    I am 3 years out, not quite to goal yet and when I get there will have lost 226 pounds. I have major hanging skin on my upper arms, thighs, and stomcah, with a smaller problem on my behind. I also have two hernia's that were not fixed when I was sleeved. My surgeon said they were big enough that no internal organs were being hurt, so he left them. Once all the weight is off, I will have the surgery to repair those and it will create a tummy tuck. So covered by insurance. Since I routinely have sores under the "apron", insurance would cover the tummy tuck with or without the hernias. Yes, a lot of excess skin such as I have does cause issues with personal cleanliness as it's harder to get everything clean and dry. That's why so many of us have those sores. But it is manageable, you just have to take the time and watch for them.

As for the rest of my excess skin, my goal is to have it removed because it's causing clothing issues. My waist is a size 16, but my thighs make that an impossible size to wear unless it's a pair of really wide leg pants. In skirts, the thighs giggle so much it's embarassing. Same thing with the upper arms. Unless the top has some stretch to it, the size 18 that fits my body won't fit my upper arms and the way they move when I do anything is embarassing. So for me it's not just a physical thing, it's also an emotional need to get the excess off. The more weight I lose the more disporpotionate my body is becoming.

On the flip side, I am thrilled with how I feel with the weight coming off. My mobility is back and my health vastly improved. So if I never get the excess skin removed, it's still well worth it to me!

You have a lot less to lose than me and everyone is different. You may or may not have a lot of hanging skin. But in the end you will be healthier, and that's what's important.