On the road to VSG!!! Some questions...

Options
So I just had an appt today with a surgeon and it seems like I'm on the road to getting the VSG procedure!! I'm SO excited that I can't contain it!! All I need are the necessary prerequisites (psyc eval, endoscopy, etc) and they said that I could be going in for surgery as early as mid July!!!

Now, I have come to expect the liquid diet two weeks prior to surgery and three weeks after. My main concerns are with the nausea and the recovery. How bad was your nausea post op? Also, how quickly can I expect to start working out after the operation?

Replies

• asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Hi

They have you up and walking no time after the surgery. However working out, the average is usually a month before you get clearance. You have to remember that every clinic/dr. has their own requirement and recommendations. I cannot believe how quick, less than a month and your in for surgery. If you don't mind me asking where are you getting your surgery done, in NYC?
    I know it took a lot of us six months to go through the whole process before we got our surgery, that is why I was curious.

As for my nausea, I don't recall having any, however everyone reacts to the anesthetic differently.

Good luck on you up coming appointments. We are you to help in any way we can.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations! This is so exciting!

I have to say, and you will hear this repeated in this group, everyone experiences things differently after surgery. Also, it seems like every surgeon has a different plan for his patients. My surgeon doesn't require his patients to do any sort of pre-op diet, but other surgeons in his practice do. I recovered very well. I had very little pain. I stopped taking pain meds after my first day home, and I came home after one night in the hospital. I was a little sore, and I was very tired, and that was the worst of it in my case. You will be probably instructed to start walking around almost immediately after surgery. Walk as much as you possibly can. It will help you if you have any problems with gas (I didn't but many people do), and for me, walking made me feel so much better. I was allowed to start regular exercise again after 4 weeks, except I was told not to lift weights until 6 weeks. Once I was home and recovering, I felt better and better every day. Having this surgery was the one of the best decisions I have ever made! Good luck to you!
  • meg099
    meg099 Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi

They have you up and walking no time after the surgery. However working out, the average is usually a month before you get clearance. You have to remember that every clinic/dr. has their own requirement and recommendations. I cannot believe how quick, less than a month and your in for surgery. If you don't mind me asking where are you getting your surgery done, in NYC?
    I know it took a lot of us six months to go through the whole process before we got our surgery, that is why I was curious.

As for my nausea, I don't recall having any, however everyone reacts to the anesthetic differently.

Good luck on you up coming appointments. We are you to help in any way we can.

I actually moved back home to Texas and I am getting my surgery done here. I had asked a patient advocate at the center about how long it would take until surgery (I also expected at least a 2-3 months) but she said it could be done ASAP and she estimated mid-July if everything is accepted by my insurance. She also added that she didn't expect there to be any delays with the insurance as I met all of the requirements. But I definitely was happily surprised to see that this would be done so quickly! I had done alot of research and read that many people had to go through months of monitored dieting and things, but I guess that wasn't the case with my insurance.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Ok...I know 1 doesn't have to do w/ another but when you said Texas...I was just wondering if it was going to be done by the Dr whos on the show my 600lb life...just curious!
    Im in awe that youre getting yours set up so fast :noway:
    I had to go through the wringer from the 1st step of doing the seminar to ALL their requirements including a 3 month dietician & 5% loss.
    I believe what Im required to do 2 wks beforehand is no rice, bread, potatoes, things like that...then of course the clear liquids the day before.
    I started my process 5 months ago and my completed paperwork was finally submitted to insurance last week when I did my final weigh in/dietician.
    When I 1st started no one would give me a time frame because of All the requirements.
    For example...if I hadn't met my 5% then I would have to keep going back till I had so that would/could put someone back on their "expectations" of a date.
    Keep us posted!
  • meg099
    meg099 Posts: 14
    Options
    Trust me, I was just as surprised! But my checklist is basically this:
    -Behavioral Health Evaluation and Clearance (to be set up this coming week)
    -5% weight loss (which for me is about 13 lbs)
    -Upper Endoscopy (which can be set up and done at their office)
    -2 dietician visits (one of which may already be done since I have been to their office before for medical weight loss sessions)
    -IDEXA body composition scan.

And haha no, I don't live in Houston, I live in San Antonio (I had to look that up, because I've never seen the show!) My doctor is part of BMI Of Texas (Bariatric Medical Institute).
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I had nausea for a few days after surgery. Not enough to vomit, but I felt queasy, like just before you get the stomach bug - and that was when I was on a ton of nausea meds.

My preop diet was not bad. for one week, i had to drink 3-4 protein shakes/day, 2 very small servings of solid protein, and 2 large servings of raw or cooked veggies, with no sauces or anything. It averaged about 640 calories per day.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Congrats on being close to a chance to change your life! I love my sleeve!

There really is no way to know for sure how you do immediately post-op, but, for me, I didn't have nausea at all. I did throw up once after my leak test. The barium I had to drink was the most disgusting thing in the world! Seriously horrible. I tried to keep it down, but once I got back to my room it had to go. That was kind of painful, but it was worth it.
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I was not nauseated post op. Initially in the hospital the pain med they put me on made me queasy. So they put me on another and it also made me queasy. So I just stopped pressing the button. Honestly I was not in much pain post op anyhow. I didn't need it.

I was cleared at my first post op visit to do light cardio (treadmill, bike etc) at the gym. Weights at six weeks (six weeks was this past Monday 6/16).

Call your insurance and ask them what criteria they need before you get your hopes up for a July sleeve. I called and for my specific BCBS plan, it required six months of nutritional counseling. I did not need to try something like WW (some people have to do a diet too). The surgeon's office may be giving you the bare, generic minimum and giving you a rosy picture! Also double check about deductibles and out of pocket maximums. I had a $1500 deductible which I met quite quick with all my visits - none of the nutrition classes were covered. The psych eval was covered. The endoscopy.. well, that was $981 toward my deductible..
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your upcomming new life! It's very exciting! I had very little pain after. The only real problem I had was when I had to drink the barium to check for leakeage. That stuff made me sick. Otherwise my nausea was caused by the extremely thick, sweet protein shakes they wanted me to drink. I'm more of a savory person, and I just couldn't get these down. Once I got home and could drink the protein infused chicken and beef broth I got from my surgeon's office, I was fine. As for exercise after, walking that same day as surgery and every day, several times a day for a couple of months.

Pat
  • SimplySusan63
    SimplySusan63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    So I just had an appt today with a surgeon and it seems like I'm on the road to getting the VSG procedure!! I'm SO excited that I can't contain it!! All I need are the necessary prerequisites (psyc eval, endoscopy, etc) and they said that I could be going in for surgery as early as mid July!!!

Now, I have come to expect the liquid diet two weeks prior to surgery and three weeks after. My main concerns are with the nausea and the recovery. How bad was your nausea post op? Also, how quickly can I expect to start working out after the operation?

WOW! I'm with everyone else here. You're timeframe is so short. I hope that works out for you! :smile:

I had the sleeve done May 5 here in Albuquerque, NM. With my insurance company's requirements it took about 4 months from making the decision to moving forward with the surgery. I have always had nausea after surgery so my doctor loaded me up with anit-nausea meds and I had no problems at all. I was up and walking around my room 3 hours after surgery, and walking the hospital halls in another hour. I was in the hospital 2 nights which was alright with me. My doctor gave instructions to wait on the exercise (except walking) until I was cleared at my one month check up.

This is such an exciting time for you! If you're not already doing so, I would encourage you to journal your journey, and make sure you take before and after pictures. Good luck! :flowerforyou: