Really Frustrated

I have been in a plateau for about 2 months, or maybe a little more, I can't remember when this madness started. I have tried cycling calories, not caring, joined boot camp 3 times a week and run the other 2 days (rest on weekends) I have tried eating more, eating less, not eating, eating a lot.... Not having dinner, not having breakfast, having all meals balanced. Maybe I am a bit exaggerating (I've never not eaten at all) but I seriously have tired everything I can to break my plateau, I have read every article about it under the sun and nothing. STUCK at 142. My ultimate goal is 125 but I'd be so happy to see my self go down any amount of weight.

The reason I am writing this is because I almost broke down this morning when I tried on my jeans and they were tighter than ever on me. I don't know what to do to break this plateau. I am curious if anyone has ever gone through something like this? Will it ever change? Or Am i stuck at this weight forever?

Should I keep trying or should I just forget about it? I am my sister's maid of honor in 4 months and I was really hoping to be in the low 30s at least by then but I really wanted to enjoy the summer too. I refuse to wear my bikini looking like this. On a strike. Please help, I'm so sad.

Thanks,
L

Replies

• CariS001
    CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
    Jumping about to different techniques will be a big downfall. I got stuck in that for a long time!!! Try something, give it a week, maybe two, saw no progress, got frustrated, switched it up... repeat.

Focus HARD on tracking everything for a solid month. Keep things simple. What is your current TDEE? What are you setting macros at? Stick to it for a solid month, tracking every "blt" (Bite, lick and taste!). Then, re-evaluate after that month.

Nutrition is about 90% of the battle!!!!
  • I signed up yesterday for that reason, so I could track everything with utmost precision. I will stick to this and see where it goes. I am feeling REALLY frustrated and sad and upset. I was at 137 about 4 months ago and then not sure what happened but I gained a few and since then, the terrible plateau hit and I have not been able to break it.

How long did yours stay, do you remember? Did you do anything special before it broke?

Thank you!
  • Padzster
    Padzster Posts: 75 Member
    KEEP TRYING!
    My target was 7kg loss and that came off in 5 months of doing MFP, stronglifts and some cardio. You can read the long boring story in my profile, but the crux of the matter is that it is WEIGHING and LOGGING food that has made a difference. I was eating a lot more calories than I thought when I was estimating food amounts.
    On my profile you will also find my first post which shows my impatience. I didn't really see any changes till month 3 and then it just kept coming off.
    Good luck and you CAN do this.

PS. Add me if you like :)
  • @ CariS001 I don't know what TDEE is but I think you are referring to the calorie intake that MFP recommended? If so, then that's 1250 - if no exercise is added.

@Padzster Thanks! I really need to hear that today!

BTW, I don't know if you can see this from my profile but my current #s are:

Weight: 142
    Height: 5'8"
    Waist: 26"
    Hips: 39"
    Bust: 34"
    Thigh: 22"

Goal Weight: 130
  • CariS001
    Oh gosh, I have so much I could write! I will come back later to get into more details, as I'm a bit pressed for time right now, but wanted to chime in with some initial info...

You are already looking at "vanity" pounds, which makes it REALLY tricky. Basically if you are in a healthy BMI range (you are on the lower side of healthy), your body will resist like CRAZY. I truly believe in set points, as I have experienced them a lot on the way. I started at about 135 (I'm 5'4") found lots of issues around 125, 120 and 115. I'm now still struggling to break out of a 115 set point. Basically, a set point is when you work and work and work, and don't see much change. And the little you do see, you find one day or two days eating slightly different and you are right back where your set point was (or a bit higher). Very frustrating!!

UBER important to not go too low on cals. If you do, your body will start to hoard and really mess your metabolism. TDEE - 15% (or even 10%) would be ideal. TDEE is much higher than MFP, which is far too low for most people unless you have a lot to lose.

To get your TDEE, go to something like http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I had a few other tips and tricks that I can share later. But, start with a good calorie range and solid tracking (I encourage you to share your diary, at least with friends). Then, you can fine tune from there. Track solid for at least a week, then analyze your macros, tweak, repeat.

I'm happy to help, and will be back later tonight with more info.
  • CariS001
    So, to add a bit more.... breaking out of my plateaus required a bit of each of the following:

#1 - solid tracking. Sometimes I thought I was tracking well, but was missing bites here and there. When you start counting them, they really add up!!! Also, weighing instead of using cups/tbsp, etc is really important.

#2 - ensuring I was in a good calorie range and not too LOW. Too low is where it gets really frustrating as your body starts to work against you big time! Don't let your net go below your BMR. Ideally, aim for TDEE - 10%. (Important note - this is once you have #1 SOLID!)

#3 - changing up my workouts. I had to move away from steady-state cardio. There is tons of research about adaptation to such cardio. So, you get to the point that your body just doesn't burn much to "hold on" to energy for runs, etc. Then on the runs, you are more efficient and burn less. Not a good situation! I switched to sprint work, tabata, HIIT, and my new fav - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu! AMAZING workout!!!! Also, more weight lifting.

#4 - macro ratios - play with them! Watch, adjust, wait, watch, adjust, wait... repeat! I find I do best around 45% protein, 30% fat and 25% carbs. My body reacts terribly now to gluten and dairy, so I've taken both out. I stick to whole foods as much as possible, lots of lean protein. Without protein, your deficits will cause muscle loss, which will likely make you more frustrated with your body (even if the scale goes down!!)

From your measurements, I see you are similar to me and more in the pear category. In my mind, this is the WORST for feeling good about your progress! Because no matter how hard you try, it seems to only affect the upper body and the hips/thighs don't budge. UGH!!!! I hate that! My best progress has been using Brett Contreras program - Strong Curves. He is the king of glute work, and it makes a HUGE difference!!!!! I finally started to get happy with my body shape when I started hip thrusts!

I hope that helps. Feel free to check out my diary (though, lately, my numbers are way low, for specific reasons... and will go up in the next while). It is really so much about patience, and staying the course.

GOOD LUCK!
  • chelseavanchilli
    chelseavanchilli Posts: 32 Member
    @CariS001 loved your info, thanks so much!!
  • Wow, thanks do much for all of that!

According to the Scooby website, I should be eating 1600 not 1250. That seems so much. Makes me nervous but I'll try this. Because 1250 for the last 2 days has done nothing anyway. I wonder if I can change it on here so I can keep tracking.

Interesting, I'll have to try Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I don't lift weight, maybe I should try that. if I can find the time. Do you have a recommended routine? And how many times per week to start off?

I think I feel better when I cut gluten too. I do LOVE bread but I think I cut it out one time for a week and remember felling great. I'll play around with those then.

Thank you!! :-)
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    I agree that you should be eating closer to 1600. I'm 5'7 and 154 lbs and netting a little below 1600 and still losing. You should be aiming for a slow weight loss with only a little to lose. Go into your setting and change your weekly weight loss goal to 0.5 lbs per week. See if that gets you closer to the scooby numbers or you can set your calorie goals manually using the custom settings.

I also can't recommend enough weight lifting or resistance training of some sort. I think this has played a huge part in my weight loss this far.

And just remember to give it time. Your weight may stall for 2 or 3 weeks at a time but if you're patient the scale will drop down again if you stick to your program.
  • ashleydawndill
    ashleydawndill Posts: 242 Member
    I would suggest NOT buying any products that claim to cleanse your innards, tighten your skin, or anything else of the sort.. haha. No point constantly spending money on something that's a "quick fix", when you could just eat well/enough and work out for the permanent results.

That being said, I don't know what your exercise regime consists of but I too heavily recommend LIFTING! It continuously burns calories long after you've finished your workout, and it DOESN'T make women bulky. More muscle = more fat being burned, and although it weighs more than fat, it takes up less space. So although your weight may not drop as much as you think it should, you'd still be much more slim and trim!

I'd also suggest checking out bodybuilding.com. There are a million and a half articles on their forums regarding everything fitness related. I've learned so much from that site, and continue to do so.

Hope this helps a little. :)
  • Thanks guys! Thanks for all the recommendations.

SO, I dropped a pound. but then the loss halted again... Not sure why. I am going to wait a little at this pace before doing anything else. I guess before this whole plateau hit me, I used to lose everyday when I made the effort. It was easy and it made sense. Now I am beating myself about not maintaining and gaining some weight thinking it would be just as easy as it used to be to take off again.

Maybe I am just getting older now and my body is changing. Not sure, I really hope it goes away soon. I's been months and it's driving me crazy...
  • CariS001
    Wow, thanks do much for all of that!

According to the Scooby website, I should be eating 1600 not 1250. That seems so much. Makes me nervous but I'll try this. Because 1250 for the last 2 days has done nothing anyway. I wonder if I can change it on here so I can keep tracking.

Interesting, I'll have to try Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I don't lift weight, maybe I should try that. if I can find the time. Do you have a recommended routine? And how many times per week to start off?

I think I feel better when I cut gluten too. I do LOVE bread but I think I cut it out one time for a week and remember felling great. I'll play around with those then.

Thank you!! :-)

Sorry, I've been away and couldn't reply...

Looking at your food diary, you will be all over the map due to water weight. Your sodium intake tends to be high, and you are eating lots of simple carbs and dairy that are going to really fluctuate the scale. Your protein is usually on the low side, likely resulting in food cravings.

You mentioned "2 days" on 1250. NEVER base any changes on results you see in 2 days. Give it a solid 3-4 weeks. Especially considering hormonal changes in a month, ideally you want 6 weeks on a steady plan before you switch things up.

Weights are actually my fastest training days! You can crank out a great weight workout in 20 min. I love the "Strong Curves" plan by Brett Contreras, as well as "New Rules of Lifting for Women". Both have solid plans you can follow. I tend to design my own based on what I want to work on (usually glutes!). Know that weights will cause a temporary weight increase, then your body will adjust and you will see a dip down as your body burns more calories at rest. That is the lovely thing about weight training (not to mention it looks WAY better to be skinny-fit than skinny-fat!!!).

Feel free to message me for faster replies or with any questions. I'm happy to help!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member

You mentioned "2 days" on 1250. NEVER base any changes on results you see in 2 days. Give it a solid 3-4 weeks. Especially considering hormonal changes in a month, ideally you want 6 weeks on a steady plan before you switch things up.

I totally agree with this. Awesome comments, CariS, BTW. It also helps to change one thing at a time. Patterns take time to reveal themselves. For example, my caloric intake from food is consistent all week, but I drink margaritas/wine on weekends that raises my average daily consumption for the week. Often my lowest weight of the week is Sat AM, and my heaviest is almost always Monday. I plot a 7-day trailing average, and that smoothes out the Monday spikes and shows steady decline between ovulation & menstruation. The exact same diet & exercise following menstruation results in a flat weight trend until ovulation when it starts dropping again. Also, I spike to the same weight 3 Monday's in a row (even when the overall trend is dropping), and the 4th Monday is a new "spike"--still highest of the week but lower than before. I am slowly ramping up my calories every 2 weeks, but I still see the same pattern of loss, just at a slower pace as I near maintenance.

Knowing my pattern when my weight is up 2 pounds the day I ovulate (like today!) keeps me from being frustrated with the scale. Instead, I'm encouraged that I'm about to go into my losing mode! It keeps me sane on Mondays. I'm kind of a numbers person, though. Some have a better mental outlook weighing once a month right before their period. Regardless of the weighing frequency that keeps you most sane, you really have to stick with something for a whole monthly cycle before you really know how it's working for you.

Best of luck!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Just advice, I would try to do maintenance cals for your goal weight: 125 and stick to them for one month (weekly average). I think a weekly average of 1500 cals per day (after exercise) is more manageable, so you can have low days to make up for higher ones.

I agree, consistency means 4-6 weeks.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Two tips - like the others said, stick to your plan for longer. Switching it around too frequently will make it near impossible to see results, and even if you do see results, you won't know what is really causing them because you are making to many changes. Try adjusting one thing at a time.

#2 - Also agree your calories could be a bit higher. I'm 5' 6" and eating 1300 calories a day I could NOT lose weight. I upped to around 1800 and started losing again. Now I eat 1800-2100 and don't gain either. So maybe try eating more and like the others suggested, consider your macro ratios.

Last suggestion, maybe re-think you goal. Don't be so focused on 125 as the magic number. First off, that is a little low for that height, and second, it can be mentally damaging. I found that when all I thought about was losing weight, I couldn't lose anything. I was so stressed out all the time thinking about my magic number. Then I decided to instead focus on getting stronger. When I did that and started eating more, the weight came off again. By taking this approach, I had less stress and workouts became fun again. Don't be so hard on yourself and you will get there!! 4 months in plenty of time to get ready for the wedding.
  • Hey! Sorry have not looked here for a while! But that's a really good point about my protein. I should definitely up my protein. I'm too lazy to cook and find it much easier to just buy sandwiches and eat cheese and yogurt and baguette, butt hat needs to change.

Thanks again!
  • Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the advice! Things seem to be SLOWLY changing with two steps forward and one step back. I lose and gain and lose but overall SLOWLY losing. :D